Whitner “feels for the fans”

LGB

It's hard to blame a guy who is legitimately trying his hardest but just isn't really that good.

It wasn't his fault that the Bills failed to accurately evaluate his talent. Do you expect him to get on the podium and say, 'Jeez guys, I'm really not this good. You should really pick someone else and maybe look me up again in the 4th round'.

He is way different than Edwards, who you just always felt didn't give a damn and was always playing with an ulterior motive.

I think Donte deserves some slack and for the fans to realize that him being a huge reach and overpaid for his merely average skills aren't really his fault. Put the blame where it belongs.

I'm certainly not the biggest Lil' Donte Fan, but I agree with your take 100%...It's close to the same point I made about Maybin a couple days ago...This Scouting Department, and the old FO, put a guy like Donte in an impossible situation. He's just not that good...Put him on a Defense like Baltimore's and he would be OK I guess...Not great by any means...But serviceable...But in Buffalo, where he's asked to be outstanding based on where he was picked, his deficiencies are magnified 1000 times over. And he should never have been put in that place...Period...The Bills were looking for the next Ed Reed and what they got was a guy who would turn out to be be a 3rd or 4th-Round type value...

Whitner's proud...I'm sure he still feels he's a Top 10-type talent...And he seems to care enough and be a good teammate...It's the Bills fault they put Lil' Donte in this position where failure, based on his talent level and where he was Drafted, was unavoidable...Thanks Marv... B-)

At least he's saying the right things this time. I liked his comment how they didn't lose focus because they never had it in the first place.

Paul Hamilton said that Whitner and maybe one other player in that locker room appeared mad after the game. His observation was that the players generally didn't seem to care. Perhaps that attitude is a holdover from the Dickie-J era, but you can't have that anywhere in this league.

Things will need to change...soon.

Not sure Dick Jauron can be blamed here.

I sat through yesterday's game thinking this team was never this flat under Jauron. Sure there were blowouts but is it just me or did this team have more fire when Jauron was coaching?

Losing sucks, and many fans act irrationally towards some of the players as a result of it. Donte isn't nearly as bad as some of you claim, but he's definitely not the calibur player of a #8 overall pick, when you couple that with this team's performance over the years and his penchant for twitting he is a natural target. Having said that, there is little doubt in my mind that he works as hard and cares about the team and his teammates than any other player on this team....

Wasn't Nick Mangold available for us to draft?

Yes he was. We selected 8th and Mangold went in the 20s. Levy said on Sirius that he had numerous trade down offers, but he turned them down in order to draft Whitner. We had an extra 3rd round pick which he packaged with a 2nd and traded up to draft McCargo.

With an early 3rd and 4th he finished the draft with Youboty in round 3 and Ko Simpson in round 4.

I'm in the 'What-Was-Donte-Supposed-To-Do-Turn-Down-His-Draft-Position?' camp. We all aren't the best at what we do, but we hope that we try our hardest. Buffalo's a tough town, and one that should recognize and appreciate hard working folk. Donte works hard, gives a crap, and knows that the people of Buffalo deserve better than the product that they're getting on the field. He can't transform himself into Ed Reed circa 2008. I won't take my anger out on him, but respect that he does what he does and has some heart. I haven't seen much guts on or off the field save for Fitzy, McIntyre, and Nelson. (Although I'm sure that stoicism has its place, and that many Bills are choking down some anger.) I think that Donte gets crucified on this board more than others should. As an example of a high-caliber, high draft pick, I think that Lee Evans could be a little diplomatic and a little more passonate (and catch a ball or two yesterday against a rookie DB).

Yes he was. We selected 8th and Mangold went in the 20s. Levy said on Sirius that he had numerous trade down offers, but he turned them down in order to draft Whitner. We had an extra 3rd round pick which he packaged with a 2nd and traded up to draft McCargo.

With an early 3rd and 4th he finished the draft with Youboty in round 3 and Ko Simpson in round 4.

Maybe Levy saw Whitner as a Henry Jones type of player when he coached him here.

32 teams have safties ony reed an polamalu or great so stop all the whitner hate an ed reed an polamalu have pro bowl players surrounding them that allows them to make plays, have u seen the steelers an ravens front 7, we suck cuz were the cheapest team in the leauge, no athletes at linebacker or the d line look @ the sack an int numbers, might as well go back to the tampa 2

I truly don't care what Donte feels, thinks, or tweets. Granted there is some obligation to answer reporters' questions after a game, but his seeming obsession with sharing his every thought, feeling, frustration (getting laughed at) is getting embarrassing.

Quit emoting and start making plays.