Brohm vs. his stats

DUFF

Im not implying that we put fitzy on the backburner, because he's playing as well as any quarterback we've seen in buffalo in the last 10+ years. I am however looking forward to seeing brohm get to play an entire game (not when a game is already blown out and hopeless...i want to see him operate the offense as gailey planned it). Do i think he is this teams savior?...not sure...but we do need to find out before next years draft. My wife made fun of me after the last pre-season game because i rewatched the game on DVR and was taking notes. statistically brohm looked horrible and i was afraid he was going to get cut. when i rewatched the game (keep in mind he was playing with the 3rd stringers) the statistics did not give the whole story. While i no longer have the notes i took on the game, i do remember several dropped passes from receivers, a couple passes thrown out of bounds due to pressure, and receivers being knocked to the ground on their routes. otherwise i saw a guy who threw a tight spiral, got rid of the ball quickly and took chances down field (like fitz with more accuracy).

Again im not exactly drinking the brohm kool ade yet...what i do know (as well as several other posters) is that fitz is fitz, and what you see is what you get. brohm needs a chance to shine or bust to put this argument to rest once and for all.

i don't want to go into next years season, not drafting a qb, and gailey saying "we're gonna see what we have in brohm" when the guy hasn't played a game all season.

I agree with your assessment. I'm not ashamed to be on the Brohm bandwagon. He's not as mobile as Fitz, but he does have a good accurate arm. Personally, I think he will surprise us when he finally gets the chance...which by my estimation will be after the bye week.

Brohm's attractiveness comes in most Bills fans not knowing what he can do. In 3 NFL seasons he has one unremarkable start and was stashed far back in Buffalo's QB rotation. Additionally, one proven NFL franchise in GB has already essentially cut him and Chan Gailey didn't sound enthused about him after the team abruptly cut Edwards.

A lot of homer's like to say trust in the HC and GM, and if that advice is to be taken here, it's that Brohm isn't good enough.

Brohm's attractiveness comes in most Bills fans not knowing what he can do. In 3 NFL seasons he has one unremarkable start and was stashed far back in Buffalo's QB rotation. Additionally, one proven NFL franchise in GB has already essentially cut him and Chan Gailey didn't sound enthused about him after the team abruptly cut Edwards.

A lot of homer's like to say trust in the HC and GM, and if that advice is to be taken here, it's that Brohm isn't good enough.

Ok so why didn't they cut Brohm? If he was so bad he wouldn't be on the roster. The fact they dumped Edwards was to bump Brohm to #2 to see what he can do. Don't forget the guy was a round 2 QB in 2008 and set passing records in college. Greenbay was already set at QB with Rogers.

good point...however in is first start with buffalo last year, he was only on the team for a few weeks (if that).

but this is where im torn...is it that the coaches know he is garbage or is it that they don't want to say "brohm is the future starter of this team" when you have/had trent and fitz in the starting role? (trent and fitz are from stanford and harvard-which means they are smart, maybe they just picked up the playbook quicker than brohm???)

i just want to know what we have before the draft....if he sucks cut him!!!

Ok so why didn't they cut Brohm? If he was so bad he wouldn't be on the roster. The fact they dumped Edwards was to bump Brohm to #2 to see what he can do. Don't forget the guy was a round 2 QB in 2008 and set passing records in college. Greenbay was already set at QB with Rogers.

Don't forget Lenhart and Ryan Leaf were awesome in college too. I will never call myself an NFL expert, so I have to rely on the powers that be. Not only with the Bills coaching staff, but in this case Green Bays as well. They all have seen enough to either let him go or make him a #2 when almost all hope is gone at the QB position.

The point is, the guy's already been in essence cut by GB. He was beaten out by Matt Flynn, a 7th rounder the same year Brohm was drafted. Now, he's been in Buffalo almost a season and could not beat out Fitzpatrick for the backup job. Brohm couldn't win the backup job in GB either and ended up on the PS. Sense a trend here?

Ty Detmer set college passing records. So did David Klingler and Andre Ware. What's your point?

The point is, the guy's already been in essence cut by GB. He was beaten out by Matt Flynn, a 7th rounder the same year Brohm was drafted. Now, he's been in Buffalo almost a season and could not beat out Fitzpatrick for the backup job. Brohm couldn't win the backup job in GB either and ended up on the PS. Sense a trend here?

Ty Detmer set college passing records. So did David Klingler and Andre Ware. What's your point?

Flynn, the "7th rounder", won a BCS championship and offensive MVP his senior year. Not your ordinary 7th round guy.

Why did he draft in the 7th round? He spent 3 years as a backup and only played his senior year, so he was regarded as "untested".

I don't want to sound either like a "Brohm booster" or like a broken record, I do think that's a point worth noting.

I agree with everyone who makes the point that Brohm is at best, an unknown quantity in the NFL.

I think there should be some "benefit of the doubt" around him being cut at GB and #3 here.

I could be way off, but I think part of the issue is the offensive line protections.

Hangartner is a young guy and it would be reasonable NFL practice to expect the QB to help him out on the calls, if not call the protections outright.

Trent Edwards was plainly a "deer in the headlights" of a 3-4 D much less stunts like GB "psycho" package and such like.

From what I've seen so far, Fitz does a far better job of reading the D and being able to help/call the protections if needed as well as being more seasoned at improvising.

It would be reasonable for there to be concern that Brohm is too unseasoned to pitch in there with an equally unseasoned OL.

Let the offensive line gel a bit more and mature before putting him in there.

The way I see it, anyway.

I just wish we could give Fitz a better arm somehow.

As far as I can tell, he has everything else one wants in an NFL QB: fire for the game, head for the game, leadership, heart, and balls.