Why extend Kelsay now?

LGB

As questionable as Kelsay is at LB, who on that roster is better? I'm not saying I agree with an extension if the rumor is true, but there's just nobody behind him. Look at the depth chart. You point out his 5 or 6 sacks and there's no one else with 2.

The question I have is: would he look any better behind a competent defensive line? Our D-line gets blown off the ball every other play. I know it chicken or the egg, but Kelsay might be more productive if he had ANY talent around him. To call him the weekest link with that motley crew around him is a joke. We just had a street free agent start at ILB!!

As questionable as Kelsay is at LB, who on that roster is better? I'm not saying I agree with an extension if the rumor is true, but there's just nobody behind him. Look at the depth chart. You point out his 5 or 6 sacks and there's no one else with 2.

The question I have is: would he look any better behind a competent defensive line? Our D-line gets blown off the ball every other play. I know it chicken or the egg, but Kelsay might be more productive if he had ANY talent around him. To call him the weekest link with that motley crew around him is a joke. We just had a street free agent start at ILB!!

You make a good point about depth. Just let his contract run out and do not re-sign him. Find out what others can do and get more LB next year but do NOT keep him beyond this year.

Can someone please explain why the Bills would do this right now - within a week?

Are the Bills really thinking he is going to improve to the point where they need to sign him to a deal right now - that he will be so good at the end of the year, that they will save money by extending him right now?

Is it because he looks good in the team picture or something, because after reviewing his play this year, I don't get how he makes this team or could play linebacker for another team?

yes, he is a captain, would probably make a good Boy Scout Leader, but he was an average at best, slow DE and now seems lost and even slower at OLB.

Kelsay at OLB has been such a gift for opposing teams and a such weakness to exploit, is this really going to happen?

Great post total agreement!

The Bills signed Akin Ayodele to replace Mitchell - was he the only LB available? What about starting Chris Ellis or first round pick Aaron Maybin and see what they can bring to the position.

Good points.

I have no answers, only more questions:

1. Kelsay is weakest link on weakest unit on D, agree?

2. The team is in FULL rebuild mode, per another poster, so why extend an aging out of position player?

3. Does extending him mean the front office is not going to attempt to upgrade that position? They're happy???

4. If they actually do extend him given current performance, when WOULD they upgrade position.

5. The D is ranked/tied 31st in league in points given up, so extend an old player with no upside?

6. How much can the D ever improve with guys like Kelsay being cornerstones of rebuilt D?

7. What the hell are they smoking at 1 Bills Drive?

:cry:

The answer to all 7 of your questions is - This new Front Office and Coaching Staff hasn't done anything yet that makes any sense so why start now?

I have to agree. With the exception of a couple young defensive backs, who on the defense would anyone want? Poz could be good but can't stay healthy. The D-Line is terrible, and hasn't yet been told they are supposed to rush the passer. He isn't the worst player on the defense, and not by a long shot. I haven't missed a play watching the games this year (yes it is tough), and other then when they announce the starters, I haven't heard Stroud's name mentioned, not once. I see Torber in the picture once in awhile, but haven't heard his name mentioned either. Only time you hear Maybin's name is when he gets a penalty called on him, which is about every other play that he is on the field. I agree, that I don't know why they would be in a rush to extend him, but he is not worse than anyone else on the D-Line or linebackers at this point.

Can someone please explain why the Bills would do this right now - within a week?

Are the Bills really thinking he is going to improve to the point where they need to sign him to a deal right now - that he will be so good at the end of the year, that they will save money by extending him right now?

Is it because he looks good in the team picture or something, because after reviewing his play this year, I don't get how he makes this team or could play linebacker for another team?

yes, he is a captain, would probably make a good Boy Scout Leader, but he was an average at best, slow DE and now seems lost and even slower at OLB.

Kelsay at OLB has been such a gift for opposing teams and a such weakness to exploit, is this really going to happen?

You are forgetting that he is a high motor guy.