Bills Defensive Adjustments vs Patriots

Haplo848

I really enjoyed the game yesterday. It was the first time the Bills have shown a sign of life the entire season, and they were fun to watch. I'm much happier with their performance this past week then I have been all year, and I once again have hopes that they will be fairly decent by the end of the year. However, the one thing that frustrated me incredibly was the Bills defensive adjustments. When I say "defensive adjustments", what I really meant is that there weren't any. They started the game by only rushing four men, and dropping everyone else. When that didn't work, and Brady had all the time in the world to sit back and pick apart the defense, they decided to keep doing it. All game, only four men were rushed. I don't recall seeing any blitzes until they were forced to play run D at the end of the game in a desperate attempt to get the ball back. They did manage to get one random sack from Kyle Williams near the end of the game, but other than that, they played the most impotent defense they could and stuck with it. They didn't even TRY anything else, and so they had the score run up on them. The low-point of all this had to have been the play where Brady rushed for a first down. If you watch the highlight of that play, which is even part of the highlights in the Bills media center, at one point all four rushers are on the ground (http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills-vs-Patriots-highlights/b18516a2-03f8-4529-b043-a18023694145#?id=b18516a2-03f8-4529-b043-a18023694145 around 1:35). Four men rushing wasn't getting the job done. Why keep doing it?

They do seem unwilling to 'open up' the defense. Brady needs to know early that he's in for a rough day and we never made him uncomfortable. Maybe it's a personnel issue, maybe it's scheme I don't know.

Watching MNF Woodson has already gotten to Cutler twice (Bears first drive). No question it is risk reward, but our DBs would have to hold coverage a whole lot less if we got some pressure on the QB.

I really enjoyed the game yesterday. It was the first time the Bills have shown a sign of life the entire season, and they were fun to watch. I'm much happier with their performance this past week then I have been all year, and I once again have hopes that they will be fairly decent by the end of the year. However, the one thing that frustrated me incredibly was the Bills defensive adjustments. When I say "defensive adjustments", what I really meant is that there weren't any.

I share that frustration.

The lack of adjustments could have something to do with the Patriettes* proclivity for cheating - as I mentioned in a prior thread...

There is absolute no depth to which Belicheat* will not lower himself to gain an advantage. On my flight to Boston this week I was told by a New Englander* that BB* actually contributed to the design of Gillette Stadium by insisting that the visitor's locker room be positioned/configured such to require a lengthy, circuitous, out-of-the-way walk (approx. 6 minutes - 12 round trip - unless they run, while the Cheatriettes* merely walk thru a portal directly behind their* bench), which gives the visiting team about 3 minutes or so for half-time strategical game-plan adjustments.

It sounded so bizarre that I had to see it to believe it - sure enough, at half time of Sunday's game, NE* exited the field via a special staircase directly behind their* bench and passed thru a door directly to their* locker room; the Bills had cross the field diagonally to the far corner, pass thru the entire length of the tunnel, then continue down a circuitous corridor before finally reaching the visitors locker room. Again, if the trip takes 5-6 minute each way, the round trip would leave the visiting team about 3-5 minutes for any and all half-time activity, strategy, and adjustments.

Freakin' Belicheat*.