Back to back timeouts

CodeMonkey

When the Bills tried to pull the pats offsides on 4th and 1.

I thought the Bills called timeout before the play clock expired, but I also thought they had called timeout right before that, which would be a penalty. I saw Bellicheat pissed off after that, and I assume that's what he thought as well. Am I not remembering correctly or did the the Bills catch a break?

I thought the Bills called timeout before the play clock expired, but I also thought they had called timeout right before that, which would be a penalty. I saw Bellicheat pissed off after that, and I assume that's what he thought as well. Am I not remembering correctly or did the the Bills catch a break?

I actually read about this somewhere, I'll have to try and dig up a link; but there is no penalty associated with using two timeouts in a row, the ref just isn't supposed to grant the second one. The officials should have just ignored the time out, let the play clock expire, and then thrown the flag on the delay of game.

SSDD

IIRC, The original TO for Buffalo was after a first down. They then went to instant replay and ruled the spot was wrong and made it 4 and 1, so the Bills were not charged with a TO. My question is, if the Bills weren't charged with a TO, why didn't they restart the clock? Then they could have ran it down to 3 seconds and kicked the FG...

The only time you get a 5 yard penalty is when you do it in an attempt to ice a kicker.

1. Rule 4-5-1 item 3 states that: "a second charged timeout by either team during the same dead ball period is prohibited." Penalty - 5 yards Delay of Game

2. Rule 4-5-1, item 4 states that "An attempt to call ... a second timeout in the same dead ball period by Team B in an attempt to 'freeze' a kicker shall be considered unsportsmanlike conduct and will subject the offending team to a 15 yard penalty."

Edited by ricojes

IIRC, The original TO for Buffalo was after a first down. They then went to instant replay and ruled the spot was wrong and made it 4 and 1, so the Bills were not charged with a TO. My question is, if the Bills weren't charged with a TO, why didn't they restart the clock? Then they could have ran it down to 3 seconds and kicked the FG...

That would explain the lack of penalty.

What was the penalty on the REdskins (last year I believe) when they did back to back on the Bills. And they didn't give a TO back to Buffalo either. I figured that was what Belly-ache was complaining about butdon't really care, they had enough breaks given to them in just that game so I'll happily take this one.