Some thoughts on the position of QB

Wow it is already Week #3 where has the time gone? After hearing rumors about the availabity of Kevin Kolb and fans saying we should have traded for Ron Mexico (aka Mike Vick), I thought I would weigh in on the situation (and not the one from Jersey Shore) ... we NEED to draft our own with what will likely be a top 3 - 5 pick next April.

The recent stories on Andrew Luck and comparisons to times when John Elway was gracing the Stanford campus, has me convinced he should be our choice if, 1) we are lucky to have a chance at him, and 2) he decides to turn pro (which is very much in doubt considering he is a redshirt sophomore). Perhaps, we will have to turn our sights on Ryan Mallett or someone else who emerges this fall. Either way, we must proceed with patience and a better plan to develop him. This changes coaches, coordinators, personnel, etc. has to stop or we might as well bring back Bruce Mathison ... I am not saying that JP or Trent would have become a franchise QB with more patience and better stability, but it sure would not have hurt our chances.

You have to remember, Kelly didn't arrive him from college. He served an apprenticeship in the USFL (a pretty decent league) for three years. Even then, he needed patience and grooming to get to be the FRANCHISE. The eventual QB that is chosen needs time and may need to sit for awhile and learn. Look at the way that Aaron Rodgers has turned out. He had time to practice, learn, study, put weight on his frame ... and now the Packers are reaping the benefits. I know that new QBs (and the almight $$$) demand that they play. But perhaps, patience is a better route to take to get that elusive Franchise QB.

Wow it is already Week #3 where has the time gone? After hearing rumors about the availabity of Kevin Kolb and fans saying we should have traded for Ron Mexico (aka Mike Vick), I thought I would weigh in on the situation (and not the one from Jersey Shore) ... we NEED to draft our own with what will likely be a top 3 - 5 pick next April.

The recent stories on Andrew Luck and comparisons to times when John Elway was gracing the Stanford campus, has me convinced he should be our choice if, 1) we are lucky to have a chance at him, and 2) he decides to turn pro (which is very much in doubt considering he is a redshirt sophomore). Perhaps, we will have to turn our sights on Ryan Mallett or someone else who emerges this fall. Either way, we must proceed with patience and a better plan to develop him. This changes coaches, coordinators, personnel, etc. has to stop or we might as well bring back Bruce Mathison ... I am not saying that JP or Trent would have become a franchise QB with more patience and better stability, but it sure would not have hurt our chances.

You have to remember, Kelly didn't arrive him from college. He served an apprenticeship in the USFL (a pretty decent league) for three years. Even then, he needed patience and grooming to get to be the FRANCHISE. The eventual QB that is chosen needs time and may need to sit for awhile and learn. Look at the way that Aaron Rodgers has turned out. He had time to practice, learn, study, put weight on his frame ... and now the Packers are reaping the benefits. I know that new QBs (and the almight $$$) demand that they play. But perhaps, patience is a better route to take to get that elusive Franchise QB.

Read my lips, "No more Stanford QB's."

I wonder how the likelihood of no football in 2011 will effect players going into the draft early? Will juniors and sophmores stick around an extra year in school. You still risk injury, but if there's no 2011 season, you then likey would end up with two years of rookie draft pick in 2012, competing for the same limited positions. So would a player be better playing another year of college to improve and still be in better game shape. Would he have a better chance of beating out the hot shot drafted in April 2011 who sat out a year waiting for the NFL to resume. There'd be no incentive from teams for these guys to sign contracts, so technically they wouldn't even be represented by the NFLPA. They never would have had a chance to make any money. At least in college he can still accept the customary cash! :)

Edited by Ed_Roch

This is part of the intrigue with Kolb, he has been learning for the last couple of years. Is a really good QB? I have no idea, I am sure NFL scouts would have an informed oppinion on that. So if they answer yes to the question, you would have a QB that has gone through a lot of growing pains already and therefore should be NFL ready sooner than a QB drafted next summer.

Great post!

I laughed at the last line...

I wonder how the likelihood of no football in 2011 will effect players going into the draft early? Will juniors and sophmores stick around an extra year in school. You still risk injury, but if there's no 2011 season, you then likey would end up with two years of rookie draft pick in 2012, competing for the same limited positions. So would a player be better playing another year of college to improve and still be in better game shape. Would he have a better chance of beating out the hot shot drafted in April 2011 who sat out a year waiting for the NFL to resume. There'd be no incentive from teams for these guys to sign contracts, so technically they wouldn't even be represented by the NFLPA. They never would have had a chance to make any money. At least in college he can still accept the customary cash! :)

A good point was made - if college QB's real goal is getting to the NFL (and I'm talking about Luck), then the chance of a lockout would probably influence his decision. Also, the threat of an impending rookie wage scale. It might depend also on whether or not the teams would have a draft in lockout years or whether those potential rookies would have to wait and then have two years worth coming out at once - something that just seems, logistically, improbable. I guess what I'm getting to is that if a guy's plan is to make it to the NFL, first and foremost, then I think he has way more motivation to come out after this year than to wait another year, and then possibly two. So, that is a good thing for Bills fans. We might Luck into a draft catered to our needs next year.

A few weeks ago I did some research on superbowl QB from the last 15 years. It was interesting to me that while some QB, especially top draft picks like the Mannings, found success right away -- many many others, esp. later draft picks, took 4-5y years and sometimes a different situation to develop. Some undeniable HOF QB were drafted high but regarded as busts by their original team (Young at Tampa Bay is perhaps the clearest example; Favre with Glanville and the Falcons would be another), and spent several years as backups before blowing the league away.

I think it might be interesting to look at "bust" and "successful" 1st rounders and 1st rounders who played right away vs 1st rounders given time to learn the system on their team and develop. I suspect the results would show a correlation (overall) between 1st rounders expected to play right away and "1st round busts". Part of it is prolly ego -- riding the pine for a while gives a guy the message he'd better develop some work habits and learn manners towards his teammates if he doesn't already have them vs. filling the locker room with his ego a la Leaf. Part of it is the "jump" to the next level. Rookie QB who shine right out the gate like the Mannings, seem relatively rare and seem often to come from a football family (just my impression, haven't done the footwork to back this one up)

I recall another guy with similar "intrique" I believe his name was Rob Johnson!

This is part of the intrigue with Kolb, he has been learning for the last couple of years. Is a really good QB? I have no idea, I am sure NFL scouts would have an informed oppinion on that. So if they answer yes to the question, you would have a QB that has gone through a lot of growing pains already and therefore should be NFL ready sooner than a QB drafted next summer.