Are Bills games really that family unfriendly?

jonramz

i agree. Its not easy to find nor is it easily defined. But teams make millions on home games and beer sales are one of the biggest if not the biggest revenue generator. Cracking down on beer isnt gonna happen.

The NFL may crack down on pregaming under the guise of fan behavior, only to allow those to get sloshed buy purchasing stadium beer.

Rules are in place, and they say over the scorebaord that you can call security if need be.

Ive seen it cut both ways. A guy was removed from my section bc one older couple didn't like him. He was not doing anything offensive and the crowd let the couple and the officers know.

This is a good point. It does cut both ways. I, too, have observed security who it seemed like felt their only job was to make sure that no one in their section had a good time.

The tough thing about this is that it's hard for it to be a judgment call. You don't want to be the guy who wants to drink and be crazy and be in a section where the security is being tight-ass, and you don't want to be the guy who brings his kids or his wife or something and be in a section where the security guard lets everything fly.

So, in my opinion, there need to be hard and fast rules that they're making sure are being enforced.

For me, I'd like to see them err on the side of caution. For others, they'd like to see them let it be a little looser. For whatever reason accounts from the last game appear to suggest that they're agreeing with me for the start of this season. But in seasons past they've totally gone the other way. They'll go with where they think the money is going.

yah football games are not the thing for you

Drinking, as it turns out, is not the thing for me. On the other hand, I love football.

We get it, you want to outlaw alcohol at football games.

It isn't going to happen, sorry.

You can subtly interject little digs at those who are disagreeing with you, saying things like how you wish I could go to a football game without being drunk. Good stuff, right there.

I'm sorry that you find people consuming alcohol to detract so much from your gameday experience. We'll miss you at the stadium on Sunday, but I think you'll be just fine at home with a mug of hot cocoa :)

I do wish you could go to a football game without being drunk. I don't see how that's a dig. I did not think you would find it insulting, or take it personally, if I suggested you might enjoy something without alcohol as much as you do with alcohol.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lastly, and this has nothing to do with you, or any other poster, but I simply don't understand the appeal of drinking at 9 or 10 or 11 AM, no matter what day it is. To me, that is just gross.

I understand the point of your post and generally agree with it. But the last part that I quoted above detracts from the rest of the post in my opinion. Drinking beer, wine, or bowling ball shots of (disgusting) cherry liquor in moderation is not the issue here. And if someone wishes to have a beer with their burger or brat at 11am before going into the stadium what difference does that make? It's the people that drink a 12 pack before staggering into the stadium that ruins it for a lot of the others. Not the guy or girl who enjoys the taste of beer with their grilled food.

This is a good point. It does cut both ways. I, too, have observed security who it seemed like felt their only job was to make sure that no one in their section had a good time.

The tough thing about this is that it's hard for it to be a judgment call. You don't want to be the guy who wants to drink and be crazy and be in a section where the security is being tight-ass, and you don't want to be the guy who brings his kids or his wife or something and be in a section where the security guard lets everything fly.

So, in my opinion, there need to be hard and fast rules that they're making sure are being enforced.

For me, I'd like to see them err on the side of caution. For others, they'd like to see them let it be a little looser. For whatever reason accounts from the last game appear to suggest that they're agreeing with me for the start of this season. But in seasons past they've totally gone the other way. They'll go with where they think the money is going.

Drinking, as it turns out, is not the thing for me. On the other hand, I love football.

I do wish you could go to a football game without being drunk. I don't see how that's a dig. I did not think you would find it insulting, or take it personally, if I suggested you might enjoy something without alcohol as much as you do with alcohol.

Dude - your opinion on the topic would carry a lot more weight if you lived closer than 1,100 miles away and actually went to a game once in a while. You are also admittedly anti alcohol. You have been throwing your opinion around about what happens at games and how bad it is and then you say you never go to games because you live in Texas! WTF?

Why don't you move to Utah. Lots of dry towns there, and the Utes can be soberly enjoyed!

Dude - your opinion on the topic would carry a lot more weight if you lived closer than 1,100 miles away and actually went to a game once in a while. You are also admittedly anti alcohol. You have been throwing your opinion around about what happens at games and how bad it is and then you say you never go to games because you live in Texas! WTF?

Why don't you move to Utah. Lots of dry towns there, and the Utes can be soberly enjoyed!

I have been to lots of games. I moved to Texas in May. I don't know how many games I've been to at the Ralph, over the years, I've lost count. I stopped going because the experience became less enjoyable.

I don't think I would like Utah too much. I am not very big into religion.

I understand the point of your post and generally agree with it. But the last part that I quoted above detracts from the rest of the post in my opinion. Drinking beer, wine, or bowling ball shots of (disgusting) cherry liquor in moderation is not the issue here. And if someone wishes to have a beer with their burger or brat at 11am before going into the stadium what difference does that make? It's the people that drink a 12 pack before staggering into the stadium that ruins it for a lot of the others. Not the guy or girl who enjoys the taste of beer with their grilled food.

Sure, that's fine. I have no problem with people who want to drink then, I just don't understand it and wouldn't do it personally.

Exactly my sentiments. As an adult there are certain things I just enjoy doing without worrying about what impact its having on someone's kids.

I wish people took that into account more. I have two kids and I have a few rules. If there's no kid's menu, we won't eat there. If it's to far to drive, I'm not taking a plane so we just don't go. If you whine, we leave. Some parents seem to forget what it's like before kids. They get this little "isn't that cute?" smile. Well, no, not really. That causes two problems. First, they expect everyone else to go G-rated. Secondly, they also assume everyone else is watching out as they are. When you don't have your own, you're just not wired to think that way; it's simple.

When I get time away from my kids, I like to relax and not worry about it. At the same time, when they're with me, I totally respect the fact that others don't want to deal with them. I see it as my responsibility to keep them the hell out of your way! Of course.. barf on 'em and all that and it's another story blah blah blah...

Edited by mcjeff215

Then my apologies for not being clear.

I do not drink at every game. I am there early to have a good time for every game though. That involves other stuff besides drinking.

I dont think the opinion that there are problem characters is a minority opinion, just your remedy for that problem. I dont think theres enough not buying tickets because of that to replace the people who would leave under your remedy. Otherwise, rest assured, the NFL would have been cracking down. The spend countless amount of dollars on this stuff.

Some colleges do have strict policies, generally they are southern bible belt schools; but they are schools and obviously not everyone there is 21, so at least i can see that. True the same can be said for a Bills game but no drinking for an on campus event is not the same.

The best way to regulate is to use the hotline. I dont think we disagree on much actually, we both dont like obnoxious pukers etc etc. i just believe one should be able to be able to have some beers, get a little drunk without the fun police intervening.

Then my apologies for not being clear.

I do not drink at every game. I am there early to have a good time for every game though. That involves other stuff besides drinking.

I dont think the opinion that there are problem characters is a minority opinion, just your remedy for that problem. I dont think theres enough not buying tickets because of that to replace the people who would leave under your remedy. Otherwise, rest assured, the NFL would have been cracking down. The spend countless amount of dollars on this stuff.

Some colleges do have strict policies, generally they are southern bible belt schools; but they are schools and obviously not everyone there is 21, so at least i can see that. True the same can be said for a Bills game but no drinking for an on campus event is not the same.

The best way to regulate is to use the hotline. I dont think we disagree on much actually, we both dont like obnoxious pukers etc etc. i just believe one should be able to be able to have some beers, get a little drunk without the fun police intervening.

Yes, definitely. Also, thank you for understanding that when my sarcasm is sarcasm, and attempting to talk about this in a respectful manner. People who say that there is nothing left to gain from this forum miss out on a lot of that.

There's a lot of pithiness that goes on, too, but I am able to respect your point of view much easier when communicate it as you have.

Edit: This is in response to BillsFanNC - lost the quote, sorry!

I guess we disagree that things that happen exceedingly rarely are big issues. The topic of this thread asks whether Bills games are really that family unfriendly.

Myself, and several other posters are responding that we feel that the stadium is not overly unfriendly on game day, and that many of the people writing that there are literally ten thousand people so drunk that they are falling down, vomiting everywhere, and urinating in their seats is just untrue in our experience.

Then, a poster came in with a puritanical view of alcohol consumption, which again many posters took exception with. Many mature, responsible adults feel that consuming alcohol is not inherently evil, and that alcohol consumption on stadium grounds does not turn Ralph Wilson Stadium into some sort of Lord of the Flies style living hell.

After this, you took this discussion and somehow changed the title of this thread to "Do you feel that people getting drunk to the point of falling down, and vomiting/urinating freely in their seats is bad?"

Answer to that is yes, so I suppose you nailed it :)

Edited by akm0404

I wish people took that into account more. I have two kids and I have a few rules. If there's no kid's menu, we won't eat there. If it's to far to drive, I'm not taking a plane so we just don't go. If you whine, we leave. Some parents seem to forget what it's like before kids. They get this little "isn't that cute?" smile. Well, no, not really. That causes two problems. First, they expect everyone else to go G-rated. Secondly, they also assume everyone else is watching out as they are. When you don't have your own, you're just not wired to think that way; it's simple.

When I get time away from my kids, I like to relax and not worry about it. At the same time, when they're with me, I totally respect the fact that others don't want to deal with them. I see it as my responsibility to keep them the hell out of your way! Of course.. barf on 'em and all that and it's another story blah blah blah...

I think you have a point to an extent, but what I would generally advocate wouldn't be G-rated, but PG-13 rated (maybe PG, if I'm being a particular hard ass). Earlier I mentioned that we saw a few young ladies flash cross-walkers at the Ralph last year. I wasn't about to run and find the nearest peace officer and demand that this terrible conduct be put to a stop. My wife wasn't too happy about it. And if I had a 9-year-old, or something, maybe I would have wanted to say something.

Nowhere in this thread did I indicate that I even drink alcohol at all, let alone go to games drunk. You are just making this up, as you have a bunch of other things in this thread. Nobody likes that condescending, lecturing type of personality either, just FYI. So, while you suggest to me how I should not do something you have no clue whether or not I actually do, I'd suggest to you that others would like you more if you dropped that personality trait.

Edited by akm0404

I guess we disagree that things that happen exceedingly rarely are big issues. The topic of this thread asks whether Bills games are really that family unfriendly.

Myself, and several other posters are responding that we feel that the stadium is not overly unfriendly on game day, and that many of the people writing that there are literally ten thousand people so drunk that they are falling down, vomiting everywhere, and urinating in their seats is just untrue in our experience.

Then, a poster came in with a puritanical view of alcohol consumption, which again many posters took exception with. Many mature, responsible adults feel that consuming alcohol is not inherently evil, and that alcohol consumption on stadium grounds does not turn Ralph Wilson Stadium into some sort of Lord of the Flies style living hell.

After this, you took this discussion and somehow changed the title of this thread to "Do you feel that people getting drunk to the point of falling down, and vomiting/urinating freely in their seats is bad?"

Answer to that is yes, so I suppose you nailed it :)

I'm assuming you're referring to me as having a "puritanical" view on alcohol. That's not true. Maybe it shocks you to know that I drink, I don't know. I just don't happen to do it a lot, or when I am going somewhere to enjoy something else (like football).

For my money, you've been a little unnecessarily nasty about my views for no apparent reason. I don't understand what it is about not drinking that could possibly offend you, but I am sorry that we can't talk about this more amicably.

Yes, definitely. Also, thank you for understanding that when my sarcasm is sarcasm, and attempting to talk about this in a respectful manner. People who say that there is nothing left to gain from this forum miss out on a lot of that.

There's a lot of pithiness that goes on, too, but I am able to respect your point of view much easier when communicate it as you have.

No problem. Its not hard, i dont take it personal, and only playing devils advocate a little. Its a difficult issue and will only be decided, rightly or wrongly, by the almighty dollar.

I used to work for CSC a couple of years ago. We would honestly turn away 10-15 or so people at whichever gate i was working. That is just one gate. Multiply that by 9 gates, and those were just the over the line drunks. We let in the so-so and we would have to point them out to the sheriffs standing behind us.

People would be dumbe enough to try to sneak entire cases of beer in. We would tell them to drop it, adn if they got pissy, we would tell them to take it back to their car, and if they were to leave it theywould have to answer to the police.

This stuff happens more than you think, you just dont hear or see about it all of the time. I cant even tell you how many people I had to help kick out of the stadium, and I only worker there for 1 year.

I understand people like to drink, but do it responsibly.

Nowhere in this thread did I indicate that I even drink alcohol at all, let alone go to games drunk. You are just making this up, as you have a bunch of other things in this thread. Nobody likes that condescending, lecturing type of personality either, just FYI. So, while you suggest to me how I should not do something you have no clue whether or not I actually do, I'd suggest to you that others would like you more if you dropped that personality trait.

For that matter, then, I do wish that *anyone* could go to a football game without being drunk.

If you don't drink at all, good for you! :)

Honestly if people are being that inappropriate report them to security or quit whining. Its a sporting event not daycare. If i have a few and shout an F bomb thats my prerogative and if theres kids nearby then i expect to be called on it or have security remedy the situation. But when i was a kid there were people yelling F bombs and falling over drunk, and i happen to grow up without issues. Something to be said for not living in a shelter

But ive been to other NFL and even NHL arenas that are just as bad and worse.

No argument there. But there's also something to be said for people acting like they've been in public before, too.

I've been to games in Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Minnesota. I didn't see much difference between any of those stadiums as far as fan behavior went. Alcohol does funny things to people. Every incident that I saw in those stadiums was alcohol related. And there were incidents at every game. Most of them were minor, but at every game I've been to, something happened that required security to get involved. None of the things I saw or heard took away from my enjoyment of the game.

The solution is to ban alcohol at the games if the NFL wants a totally family friendly atmosphere. They won't do that becasue of the revenue they generate from beer sales.

Compared to fan behavior world wide, Americans are pretty civilized. Every year, several people are killed due to voilence at soccer games in Europe. In some cases, riots have broken out that security was unable to control. So I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Edited by gobillsinytown

Yup this is why I started the topic... it is a pro football game so it is a bit different than disney world. But with some parenting and common sense I think you can definitely take your family to a game and have a wonderful experience. Because that's what it is, is an experience, if you just want to watch a game, probably be better off staying home

Frankly speaking if the Bills as an organization keep trying to kill the experience they are gonna kill the golden goose

I think you have a point to an extent, but what I would generally advocate wouldn't be G-rated, but PG-13 rated (maybe PG, if I'm being a particular hard ass). Earlier I mentioned that we saw a few young ladies flash cross-walkers at the Ralph last year. I wasn't about to run and find the nearest peace officer and demand that this terrible conduct be put to a stop. My wife wasn't too happy about it. And if I had a 9-year-old, or something, maybe I would have wanted to say something.

Trust me, I'd love to take my kids to games and not so much care about it, but that's really not the way it works, unfortunately. I wouldn't have said anything to the girls (well, beside sharing my telephone number :-)) but I would have probably said something to the kid about how it was just a dumb thing to do. All in all, I don't worry about other people too much. My offspring are going to get their grow-up from me anyway. I think it sends a pretty solid message to be one in the crowd not doing that when you're a parent.

Compared to fan behavior world wide, Americans are pretty civilized. Every year, several people are killed due to voilence at soccer games in Europe. In some cases, riots have broken out that security was unable to control. So I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I went to a champions league game last month in Amsterdam of all places... NFL fans are not even close to Euro soccer fans

Frankly speaking if the Bills as an organization keep trying to kill the experience they are gonna kill the golden goose

Nah, they won't. I'm not being argumentative, but I think that's going to turn out to be a hollow threat. Buffalo loves the Bills. If the non-stop sucking hasn't turned us away, then having to move down to a private lot a block "that way" won't turn us away either.