The Buffalo Catch-22

tonyd19

So I have been thinking about this since the game sunday. The offense is in a catch-22 position. We need to have the offense focus on our great running backs. But, we can't have full use our stable of backs because the opposing defense stacks the line of scrimmage with 8 guys. So in order to allow our backs space, we need to spread the defense by having our QB complete mid and long range passes. But Gailey's offense is built around short range passes to running backs and recievers in order to create space. This is done because the line has trouble giving the QB time, and the QB has trouble looking down field. However, the recievers & backs can't create in space because there are 8 guys on the line of scrimmage and the field shrinks. The Buffalo Catch-22.

Edited by tonyd19

So I have been thinking about this since the game sunday. The offense is in a catch-22 position. We need to have the offense focus on our great running backs. But, we can't have full use our stable of backs because the opposing defense stacks the line of scrimmage with 8 guys. So in order to allow our backs space, we need to spread the defense by having our QB complete mid and long range passes. But Gailey's offense is built around short range passes to running backs and recievers in order to create space. This is done because the line has trouble giving the QB time, and the QB has trouble looking down field. However, the recievers & backs can't create in space because there are 8 guys on the line of scrimmage and the field shrinks. The Buffalo Catch-22.

It'd be nice if we had a tight end that could stretch the field down the seam. I think that would free up those 5-8 yards past the line so our quick receivers can catch the ball and make something happen.

It'd be nice if we had a tight end that could stretch the field down the seam. I think that would free up those 5-8 yards past the line so our quick receivers can catch the ball and make something happen.

I think the answer is we just need to commit to taking more shots down field 15 to 50 yards in the air. At least 10 times a game to spread the defense out.

I think the answer is we just need to commit to taking more shots down field 15 to 50 yards in the air. At least 10 times a game to spread the defense out.

On a number of plays last week there was more than enough time for the big ball to be thrown. It just wasn't for whatever reason. On the deep ball to Lee that was thrown (and missed), the ball was out at about 2.5s. It's not like he needs a monstrous amount of time to let that ball go. There was also the 31yd pass to Nelson that was called back on a holding penalty. I think the play calls are there we just need a guy to let it loose and take a chance!

That's why you need at least a somewhat balanced offense to be successful in the NFL. As you have noted, the Bills don't have one.

We do but he can't play until week 5. I'm not saying Nelson is anything elite but compared to what we are using right now.

On a number of plays last week there was more than enough time for the big ball to be thrown. It just wasn't for whatever reason. On the deep ball to Lee that was thrown (and missed), the ball was out at about 2.5s. It's not like he needs a monstrous amount of time to let that ball go. There was also the 31yd pass to Nelson that was called back on a holding penalty. I think the play calls are there we just need a guy to let it loose and take a chance!

I agree. The problem lies in the QB. Trent is the worst QB in the NFL-IMO. It doesn't matter what Gailey schemes, Trent cannot play QB at this level.PERIOD! I would have rather seen Jimmy Clausen play this entire year and see if he had "it". If he didn't we still go 1-15 and get the first pick next year. Not only does Trent need to take some shots, so does our front office.

If you read between the lines last year and early this year. They call plays down the field. Edwards won't throw the ball unless the WR is wide open. Hence, his Captain Checkdown moniker.

Smart post, although after reading people's posts on this board it can't be true, it is all Trent Edward's fault.

I agree. The problem lies in the QB. Trent is the worst QB in the NFL-IMO. It doesn't matter what Gailey schemes, Trent cannot play QB at this level.PERIOD! I would have rather seen Jimmy Clausen play this entire year and see if he had "it". If he didn't we still go 1-15 and get the first pick next year. Not only does Trent need to take some shots, so does our front office.

You are correct sir.

An indecisive QB makes everything look bad, receivers, running backs, the O-line, the formations, play-calling.

After Sunday's games, my son asked me if we would be a play-off team if we had Manning?

Probably.

Smart post, although after reading people's posts on this board it can't be true, it is all Trent Edward's fault.

Unfortunately the QB is the one who throws it down field, and that's what needs to happen if you don't want 11 defensive players within 5 yards of the LOS. The line was definitely bad last week, but even on plays when he was given the time he needed Edwards didn't take advantage. Yes he did have that pass to Roscoe, but on several occasions when there were 3 or 4 man rushes and no pressure, the ball was out to the 3-4yd route instead of letting the deeper routes develop. Other times he abandoned the pocket despite the protection still being sound. Maybe that has to do with how much he trusts the line to not get him killed?