Backing the Right Horse

bartshan-83

I respect the idea of the Tea Party movement insofar as it appears to want to be a vehicle for major change. I like that people aren't happy with the status quo and it's always great when people seem to identify the 'institution' as the problem instead of choosing sides in a fake struggle.

However, this Christine O'Donnell thing once again reminds me of the eternal "3rd Party Throwaway" conundrum. A lot of people seem to be in favor of voting for an alternative candidate, but are afraid of throwing away their vote and instead decide on the lesser of two evils where they think they can actually make a difference.

IMO, and I'm not alone, O'Donnell is pretty whacked. Her campaign has included bizarre accusations, pretty dirty politicking, financial complaints against her and strange story lines (her college degree situation comes to mind). And to call some of her views "antiquated" would be far, far too kind.

But who cares what I think...you don't have to agree. But understand that here in Delaware, the Democratic candidate, Chris Coons, was considered about a 10-to-1 underdog to Mike Castle in the general election. Even my father, a pretty passionate Democrat who has been volunteering for his campaign basically thought it would be a rout.

But now all of a sudden, public sentiment is that Coons is the favorite...and a pretty solid favorite at that. The harshest critics of O'Donnell to date have been Republicans. I'm not even sure Coons has even really addressed her yet as he was completely focused on Castle.

The point is, whether or not Mike Castle was a RINO or good conservative candidate, if conservatives were looking to win back seats, that goal took a step back. Delaware is a more Democratic state and only party members can vote in primaries. So from who I've spoken to and the general feeling I've gotten in these past few hours, a lot of people are shocked and a bit freaked out by her victory. She will now be fighting a two-front battle against a candidate who likely would have had no shot against Mike Castle.

It will be interesting to see how the next few months play out. I can't wait to her Sarah Palin's oh-so-pleasing voice on my answering machine some more. :lol:

Edited by bartshan-83

I respect the idea of the Tea Party movement insofar as it appears to want to be a vehicle for major change. I like that people aren't happy with the status quo and it's always great when people seem to identify the 'institution' as the problem instead of choosing sides in a fake struggle.

However, this Christine O'Donnell thing once again reminds me of the eternal "3rd Party Throwaway" conundrum. A lot of people seem to be in favor of voting for an alternative candidate, but are afraid of throwing away their vote and instead decide on the lesser of two evils where they think they can actually make a difference.

IMO, and I'm not alone, O'Donnell is pretty whacked. Her campaign has included bizarre accusations, pretty dirty politicking, financial complaints against her and strange story lines (her college degree situation comes to mind). And to call some of her views "antiquated" would be far, far too kind.

But who cares what I think...you don't have to agree. But understand that here in Delaware, the Democratic candidate, Chris Coons, was considered about a 10-to-1 underdog to Mike Castle in the general election. Even my father, a pretty passionate Democrat who has been volunteering for his campaign basically thought it would be a rout.

But now all of a sudden, public sentiment is that Coons is the favorite...and a pretty solid favorite at that. The harshest critics of O'Donnell to date have been Republicans. I'm not even sure Coons has even really addressed her yet as he was completely focused on Castle.

The point is, whether or not Mike Castle was a RINO or good conservative candidate, if conservatives were looking to win back seats, that goal took a step back. Delaware is a more Democratic state and only party members can vote in primaries. So from who I've spoken to and the general feeling I've gotten in these past few hours, a lot of people are shocked and a bit freaked out by her victory. She will now be fighting a two-front battle against a candidate who likely would have had no shot against Mike Castle.

It will be interesting to see how the next few months play out. I can't wait to her Sarah Palin's oh-so-pleasing voice on my answering machine some more. :lol:

This seat may very well end up in the Democratic Column. There is no doubt that the energy is with the Tea Party, but in such a blue state it will be awfully diffucult for them to win the general election. The only chance they have is if Mike Castle endorses her, which I doubt. They both ran a very nasty campaign and it's hard seeing him letting bygones be bygones, specially considering that he thought that this was a shoo-in.

What did Castle in was his Cap and Trade vote.

I will say this and this is, if the Tea Party can get behind one of the GOP candidates for the 2012 elections, such as a Mitch Daniels, Thune or Romney then there is little doubt that 2012 will go back to the GOP. However, if Sarah Runs, I just don't see how she loses in the GOP primaries. I just hope she doesn't run, and to tell you the truth I don't see the Tea Party backing Romney, soley because of Romney Care, which would be very unfortunate.

Without a doubt the energy behind the Tea Party is alot stronger than what ANYONE ever anticipated. The one good thing that they will bring is accountability even if that means losing a few races.

Edited by Magox

This seat may very well end up in the Democratic Column. There is no doubt that the energy is with the Tea Party, but in such a blue state it will be awfully diffucult for them to win the general election. The only chance they have is if Mike Castle endorses her, which I doubt. They both ran a very nasty campaign and it's hard seeing him letting bygones be bygones, specially considering that he thought that this was a shoo-in.

What did Castle in was his Cap and Trade vote.

I will say this and this is, if the Tea Party can get behind one of the GOP candidates for the 2012 elections, such as a Mitch Daniels, Thune or Romney then there is little doubt that 2012 will go back to the GOP. However, if Sarah Runs, I just don't see how she loses in the GOP primaries. I just hope she doesn't run, and to tell you the truth I don't see the Tea Party backing Romney, soley because of Romney Care, which would be very unfortunate.

Without a doubt the energy behind the Tea Party is alot stronger than what ANYONE ever anticipated. The one good thing that they will bring is accountability even if that means losing a few races.

if palin runs? ya mean that narcissist, megalomaniac? if she doesn't run she'll die trying. i agree that her running would be the best thing that could happen for progressives. only downside from my prospective is that i'll have to stop watching the news because it would ruin my dinnner.

if palin runs? ya mean that narcissist, megalomaniac? if she doesn't run she'll die trying. i agree that her running would be the best thing that could happen for progressives. only downside from my prospective is that i'll have to stop watching the news because it would ruin my dinnner.

This is the only reason why I like Palin, because she's able to get all you fringe lefties all up in a tizzy.

You watch the news? That explains a few things. Best part of the Obama presidency is that the ridiculous way he enunciates words, as though he expects union applause on every syllable, got me to turn off the news long ago. So I understand how you would feel about Palin because the mere sound of "Let me be clear" and "Now, I never said" and "They must think you're stupid" and "You THINK they'd be thanking me" is so annoyingly car-salesman disingenuous, that even my friends who voted for him can't take that nagging any more.

As to the topic at hand, Magox is right: Cap-n-Trade (and a vote to go after Bush for Iraq) did not help Castle. This may well cost the GOP the Senate, but I believe what you're watching is a re-building effort from the inside out. The conservative movement is killing the GOP establishment, and at this pace, the GOP will have no choice but to look at themselves in the mirror and either shift a bit right or face more losses. The problem, unfortunately, is that the left keeps trying to paint the O'Donnell types as extreme. Last night's Huffington Post headline (as ironic as it was) screamed "Another Win For Extremisms! Candidate with No Experience Wins Primary!" :lol: :lol:

So yes, the right may not get the Senate, but under the heading of "it's a marathon, not a race," this will be good for the conservatives long-term. Honestly, only a dolt can't see how much the country hates the progressive agenda. The left will just be stupid enough to believe keeping the Senate in November is a mandate by the people, and by the time 2012 comes around and the GOP adjusts, the progressives will wake up thinking "Anyone get that license plate number?"

Edited by LABillzFan

I think the biggest problem is people who would consider themselves traditional republicans or conservative feel that the republican party has left them and moved too far to the middle and too willing to comprimise on issues that are important to them.

There are too many "RINO's" that have "watered down" the republican party as democrat-lite (a'la John McCain in 2008) and the traditional republican voters feel like they need a new way for their voice to get out since they feel the republican party no longer shares their values and ideals.

I was a republican until they ran weak candidate after weak candidate and now i am moving to the right on the spectrum to the tea party / conservative side because i feel they share my values and will support my views of government.

The republican leadership has been a failure allowing for this fracture to take place.

If it takes a few elections to change the system then i'm willing to support the losing side if in the end the end justifies the means.

As much damage as Obama has done to the country he might be the best thing to ever happen to the conservative / tea party to consolidate our support amongst our candidates and to become passionate from the base up.

There are a lot of angry voters who feel government has been taken from them and no longer is run for the people, but for the political elite class.