"Madmen" and the Bills

birdog1960

it happens that i saw the most recent episode of madmen 1 day after the bills recent debacle and it inspired memories....of cocktail parties and card games in the 60's and 70's where i'd occasionally overhear the adult conversations streaming from the living room. many revolved around the bills (kind of yesterday's version of an internet chat board only more real and intimate). I remember repeatedly hearing the phrase "they just don't have the horses"...year after year, loss after loss, bad qb after qb....and it struck me that this bills team is the poster child for that statement and that all but a select few bills teams in their history could legitimately be described that way...and then i think "why?". why have the bills consistently lacked elite talent all these years despite multiple high draft positions and the same chances as any other team in the league? i certainly have my theories but i'm interested in what the board has to say. any madmen like philosophers wanna take a shot?

Trent has the confidence of Peggy Olson and the personality of Peter Campbell.

I think you are giving Trent a little too much credit there...Peggy is whip smart, but young...Peter is a weezel, but he gets the job done.

Trent is more like Betty. Looks like he has all the tools, but, the more you get to know him, the less you (or anyone else) like him.

Edited by Buftex

I think you are giving Trent a little too much credit there...Peggy is whip smart, but young...Peter is a weezel, but he gets the job done.

Trent is more like Betty. Looks like he has all the tools, but, the more you get to know him, the less you (or anyone else) like him.

I said Peggy's confidence. I like the Betsy comparison too. At the beggining of the show I used go nuts over how beautiful she was but now that she's been exposed, I find her to be repulsive.

The Peter Campbell thing is a bit off, maybe Donte is the better comparison. Like Campbell, he is weazely and talks like he is a big player when in actuallity, he's just an entitled big mouth.

Nix has got to be Roger Sterling and maye Ralph is Bert Cooper. I don't think we'll ever find out who Sal is though.

BTW, how great is the show this year?

I said Peggy's confidence. I like the Betsy comparison too. At the beggining of the show I used go nuts over how beautiful she was but now that she's been exposed, I find her to be repulsive.

The Peter Campbell thing is a bit off, maybe Donte is the better comparison. Like Campbell, he is weazely and talks like he is a big player when in actuallity, he's just an entitled big mouth.

Nix has got to be Roger Sterling and maye Ralph is Bert Cooper. I don't think we'll ever find out who Sal is though.

missed the first episode but the second was more entertaining than any of the games i saw this weekend

Because even if the talent comes to Buffalo, it has no interest in staying. It is the same reason Lebron left for Miami. Money - nice weather - chance at a championship. Anyone coming to Buffalo has no shot at those things except for money in the near future and let's be honest, you can get paid anywhere. :bag:

The Samsonite episode two weeks ago was one of the best things I've ever seen on television. Matthew Weiner just "gets it".....

What a revelation this thread is. I didn't know there were so many fans of a chick show/soap opera on this board.

Sorry, maybe I should be watching the Bachelor or the Jersey Shore. I would imagine that by your description of the show that A) you've never watched it. and B) Something more than surface oriented doesn't interest you.

Try Tosh.0, it makes me laugh my a** off every time.

Is there anyone named Mary on that show?

Because even if the talent comes to Buffalo, it has no interest in staying. It is the same reason Lebron left for Miami. Money - nice weather - chance at a championship. Anyone coming to Buffalo has no shot at those things except for money in the near future and let's be honest, you can get paid anywhere. :bag:

i'll buy that except pittsburgh, indy and foxboro aren't gonna remind anyone of bali and they do pretty well with talent. the chance at a championship is a chicken and egg type deal.

Sorry, maybe I should be watching the Bachelor or the Jersey Shore. I would imagine that by your description of the show that A) you've never watched it. and B) Something more than surface oriented doesn't interest you.

Try Tosh.0, it makes me laugh my a** off every time.

My wife likes it so I watch it. And I was in the advertising business in the mid to late 60s and know a bit about the culture. It's a caricature and not a particularly good one. And, like it or not, it's essentially a chick show ("Look how piggish those Neanderthal men are, and how wonderful those feisty women are"): Men Bad, Women Good.

I watch some other chick shows with my wife and even like some of them quite a bit (Nurse Jackie, Damages), so that's not my objection. I find it gets the "tone" of the times wrong, as well as what it was really like in advertising at that time. I think it's poorly written and that most of the actors are dreadful, community theater talents.

As to Jersey Shore, Survivor, Bachelor and all the rest of that garbage, well, the morons have to be entertained too. Why resent it?

it happens that i saw the most recent episode of madmen 1 day after the bills recent debacle and it inspired memories....of cocktail parties and card games in the 60's and 70's where i'd occasionally overhear the adult conversations streaming from the living room. many revolved around the bills (kind of yesterday's version of an internet chat board only more real and intimate). I remember repeatedly hearing the phrase "they just don't have the horses"...year after year, loss after loss, bad qb after qb....and it struck me that this bills team is the poster child for that statement and that all but a select few bills teams in their history could legitimately be described that way...and then i think "why?". why have the bills consistently lacked elite talent all these years despite multiple high draft positions and the same chances as any other team in the league? i certainly have my theories but i'm interested in what the board has to say. any madmen like philosophers wanna take a shot?

Good NFL GM's are gold and I mean the guy actually running the ship. Sometimes the owner acts in that capacity and sometimes a GM runs the show. They are the CEO's of the football world and they determine the fate of a franchise.

Polian was the owner of the Bills storied success. It is irrefutable how different the team has been before during and after his presence. Look at what Indianapolis has been built into. He designed the playbook and built a very similar team to our own Bills in Indy using the same formula. (not saying the players are 100% equivalent in ability but the checklist is clear. From Top QB to stud, DE and solid O-line.

They are a contender year after year after year just like him Bills team. Kraft has done the same in New England.

Are you sure that it wasn't you sitting at the table and your kids were in the living room? Just joking, my parents had the 8 track turned up so I couldn't remember the conversations...............