Bills Report Card

As usual I concur, Gailey's job is safe for now. Too soon to chop his head off after one poor game. I wasn't impressed with the hire and then during preseason I started to believe this guy was something special. After yesterday, my hopes diminished quickly. It was silly of me to believe all the hype on here. My common sense seemed to go right out the window. Well, it was fun to have that glimmer of hope even if it were for about one quarter.

Not sure what the heck Gailey was thinking and not sure he can even come close to rectifying the situation. It's not all his fault, but I expected a lot more from him. I guess the GT fans wouldn't be surprised.

It's gonna be a long season Rabbit.

On the contrary it is entirely HIS fault

We were all mislead by that dog one of us you dog all of us talk, and the last 3 preseason games where Trent showed he could be effective.

The thing is... the Dolphins hired one of the very best 3-4 defensive coordinators in the NFL in Mike Nolan, he didn't show his hand at all in the preseason and let his defense's play some basic schemes to get them ready. Then let all hell loose on Edwards and that crappy O line.

Gailey should have been prepared for his receivers to be jammed at the line and knocked out of those 3 second timing routes, he should have been prepared for the constant run blitzes and the that can also hurry the QB leaving him no time to throw, and the spying on CJ Spiller that left him no running to the outside.

We all knew that Edwards has been trained to run for his life by the jackass Jauron, that is nothing new... what we were all lead to believe is that a great RB can make an O line look good...WRONG! That those quick outs and slants and 3 second drop backs can open up the passing game and running game...WRONG! Where was the innovation? Where was the offensive guru? Where was the offensive mastermind who could out game plan-out scheme- coach up the QB's and O line?

The Bills face Dom Capers and another 3-4 defense up in Green bay, and yet another 3-4 in New England with Bill Belichick, lets see how safe his job is then shall we....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone that thinks I am being overly harsh:

The offense gained the fewest yards of any team in the NFL this week. They definitely deserve an F. I mean, they were the literal worst.

The defense played reasonably well and doesn't deserve an F (I did give the corners an A, though).

Maybe the overall grade should be a D or a D-.

On the contrary it is entirely HIS fault

We were all mislead by that dog one of us you dog all of us talk, and the last 3 preseason games where Trent showed he could be effective.

The thing is... the Dolphins hired one of the very best 3-4 defensive coordinators in the NFL in Mike Nolan, he didn't show his hand at all in the preseason and let his defense's play some basic schemes to get them ready. Then let all hell loose on Edwards and that crappy O line.

Gailey should have been prepared for his receivers to be jammed at the line and knocked out of those 3 second timing routes, he should have been prepared for the constant run blitzes and the that can also hurry the QB leaving him no time to throw, and the spying on CJ Spiller that left him no running to the outside.

We all knew that Edwards has been trained to run for his life by the jackass Jauron, that is nothing new... what we were all lead to believe is that a great RB can make an O line look good...WRONG! That those quick outs and slants and 3 second drop backs can open up the passing game and running game...WRONG! Where was the innovation? Where was the offensive guru? Where was the offensive mastermind who could out game plan-out scheme- coach up the QB's and O line?

The Bills face Dom Capers and another 3-4 defense up in Green bay, and yet another 3-4 in New England with Bill Belichick, lets see how safe his job is then shall we....

Rabbit, I agree with everything you have said with the exception of fully blaming Gailey. I gave him a grade of a "F" for his performance on Sunday. IMHO, he looked unprepared, bewildered, outclassed, out coached, and uninspired on the sidelines. I do hold him accountable for losing. However, the players need to be held accountable too. Lastly, a coach needs "players" to win and we don't have them on our roster.

This was my earlier response to another poster.

Correct that we don't have the players and less than talented players will have problems with execution. They go hand and hand. However, to say coaching isn't a problem is being generous. You could be correct but to this point I see little evidence based on the only game that counted that our coaching staff is solid and not problematic. IMHO, Gailey gets a big fat "F" grade for his performance yesterday.

Edited by mpl6876

Rabbit, I agree with everything you have said with the exception of fully blaming Gailey. I gave him a grade of a "F" for his performance on Sunday. IMHO, he looked unprepared, bewildered, outclassed, out coached, and uninspired on the sidelines. I do hold him accountable for losing. However, the players need to be held accountable too. Lastly, a coach needs "players" to win and we don't have them on our roster.

This was my earlier response to another poster.

Correct that we don't have the players and less than talented players will have problems with execution. They go hand and hand. However, to say coaching isn't a problem is being generous. You could be correct but to this point I see little evidence based on the only game that counted that our coaching staff is solid and not problematic. IMHO, Gailey gets a big fat "F" grade for his performance yesterday.

You and I agree on a lot of areas of this team with some exceptions, although I was the one who stated Gailey could coach up Edwards and the team would score more points this season, I was wrong. If I'm not mistaken you have been saying all off season the team needs a new QB other then Edwards and the current back ups.

My point here is... you / most of the fans already knew Edwards was going to stink it up this season, so who really failed this week? The guy who was benched last season, the guy you already predicted stunk OR the guy who was supposed to fix him and coach him up to an acceptable NFL level.

Gailey was supposed to build a power running game, its why the Bills drafted Spiller when they already had to pro bowl backs.... Spiller was supposed to make the difference and be something special, what happened?

Exactly what was the difference in the offense between the last four years with Jauron and his staff of clowns VS the "brilliant" offensive minded guru in Chan Gailey?

You can continue to blame Edwards, but he didn't really perform differently then he has in some past games, so for this game I put the bulk of the blame on the new head coach for several reasons.

1) Ignoring the O line and thinking Green was an acceptable RT, Bell was acceptable LT

2) not upgrading the TE position properly in the off season or draft

3) not preparing a back up plan for the offense when the opposing defense shuts down the primary game plan

Should we blame Edwards for the heavy pass rush that didn't allow him to throw, blame Edwards for O line that failed to block for the running game, Blame Edwards for the failed game plan?

The game was close for 4 QTRs, why not pull the ineffective Edwards and throw Fitz in there, usually opposing defenses tend to ease up on the blitzing when a new QB comes in the game to see what he is going to do, this game was very winnable!

P.S. Like I stated in other posts, the entire offense, players, coaches and FO is to blame for for Sundays performance, but the buck always stops at the head coach

Edited by thewildrabbit

To everyone that thinks I am being overly harsh:

The offense gained the fewest yards of any team in the NFL this week. They definitely deserve an F. I mean, they were the literal worst.

The defense played reasonably well and doesn't deserve an F (I did give the corners an A, though).

Maybe the overall grade should be a D or a D-.

You sir are an idiot. Think more post less. and go home troll

Edited by justnzane

Grades by position for the season opening loss to Miami:

Quarterbacks

Trent made some good throws during the no-huddle scoring drive. Outside of that, his play was a joke. All the things we disliked about Captain Checkdown returned, with the final seconds of the game serving as a perfect example of everything that is wrong with Edwards. Bench him now, the team will never be good with this guy at the helm.

Grade: F

Running Backs

Jackson and Lynch did nothing, and Spiller did less than nothing in his disappointing debut. The fact that few running plays were called didn't help, but even still no one in this group could break one and make a play all game. There is some talent in this group, but they didn't show it today.

Grade: D

Offensive Line

Terrible. One of the worst lines in the NFL. The tackle play was so horrific it's astounding that a team could even attempt to enter an NFL season with this kind of talent. I guess that's what happens when you go years on end without spending a high draft pick on a tackle, and let the one diamond in the rough you found go to another team.

Wide Receivers

No big plays, very little production. Hard to gauge since Trent refused to throw the ball most of the time. When Roscoe ran uncovered straight into the end zone, he at least caught the ball, so that's good I suppose.

Tight Ends

Did any tight ends even play in this game?

Cornerbacks

Surprisingly good play all the way around. Florence played like a man with something to prove, and even McKelvin (who I usually pick on) played very well. Kept Marshall in check throughout. Clearly the best unit on the field today for the Bills.

Grade: A

Safeties

No big plays really, and had to clean up the running game mess left by the linebackers on more than one occassion. Was hoping Byrd would get his name mentioned a single time. Not much to love or hate either way.

Grade: C

Linebackers

I knew they would be bad, but they are even worse than I could have imagined. Putting lineman like Kelsay and Ellis in space is painfully awkward to watch. No talent whatsoever. Big shocker that Poz was hurt.

Defensive Line

No one was a disruptive force, but no one was a clear and obvious liability. No sacks, no forced fumbles, no big plays, just a bunch of weak tackles downfield.

Special Teams

Moorman didn't punt particularly well, Roscoe had one decent return, no huge errors.

Grade: C

Coaching

Disastrous debut for Chan. Offense looked just as bad as ever, just using some different formations. Called twice as many passing plays as running plays, even though its obvious the RBs are much better than the QB.

Overall

The Bills certainly have the look and feel of one of the worst teams in the NFL. I'm sure the organization will stubbornly stick with Edwards and continue losing in embarassing fashion. Not much good going on with this team. They proved the experts right by showing just how bad they really are.

Ben - Don’t have time to address your entire assessment but I did want to give my opinion on the defense as a whole - and defensive line and linebackers in particular. The D-line and linebackers finished 2009 ranked 30th against the run and allowed 4.7 yards per carry. The Dolphins are a pretty good rushing team, finishing 2009 ranked 4th in rushing and averaged 4.4 ypc. In this game, the Fins ran the ball 36 times for 132 yds for a 3.7 average. Looking at it a little more closely, the Fins had only 3 runs greater than 8 yards (17, 11, and 10). Take away those three runs and they gained 94 yards on their other 33 carries for a 2.8 yards per carry average. I’d say a damn good job and a hell of an improvement from last year. They didn’t generate a great deal of pressure, but when the game was on the line in the second half they picked it up – as Henne went 8-18 for 54 yards and was sacked twice and hurried a number of other times. In addition, while the linebackers had some coverage issues (as to be expected) they didn't exactly get eaten alive (we'll see how they do against Rodgers and Brady - but the assessment is for this game). Overall, the defense gave up a more than respectable 296 total yards. Considering they were on the field for almost 37 minutes and faced 73 plays – and gave up only 4.1 yds per play (and only 5 out of 73 plays greater than 10 yards – 21, 17, 16, 13, and 11) – I’d say pretty damn impressive. They didn't force any turnovers but it wasn't like they had a difficult time getting off the field either. I'd like to see them get their 3rd down conversion rate under 30% and they gave up 70 and 53 yard drives early in the game - but Miami had the ball eleven times and their other nine drives went for 21, 15, 2, 12, 3, 20, 54, 31, and 9. What I especially liked was that there were no 9 - 10 minute 70 yard drives late in the game that we have grown accustomed to over the last few years. This defense actually looked stronger as the game went on against a very physical running team. Again, impressive.

So I give the defensive line and linebackers a B+ and the overall defense an A

And just a couple notes on the Special teams. Moorman averaged 41 yards per punt (with half his punts on a short field which brought his avg down) and only two of his punts was returnable. Miami averaged 13.5 yards on kickoff returns and 4.5 yards on punt returns. We only had an 11 yards on one kickoff return and averaged 10 yards on 3 punt returns (didn’t break one but a respectable average). Can’t hold missing a 60+ yard field goal against Lindell. Overall, no big plays but solid play.

So, I give the Special Teams a B+

Edited by billsfan1959

If your grades were somewhat indicitive of how the game went, they wouldve blown us out. But it was only a 5 point loss. Please just stop with these "positional ranking" posts.

We didn't get blown out because Miami sucked just a little bit less than we did that game. Their grade for the game was a Solid D.

Edited by PDaDdy

If you put Bills Report Card into google, this thread is on the first page of results :)

Go Two Bills Drive!

Congratulations. You have succeeded in your effort to draw attention to yourself. Too bad your baseless opinions paraded as analysis do not hold water with objective evaluation. Now your fame as a troll will be nationwide.

Ben - Don’t have time to address your entire assessment but I did want to give my opinion on the defense as a whole - and defensive line and linebackers in particular. The D-line and linebackers finished 2009 ranked 30th against the run and allowed 4.7 yards per carry. The Dolphins are a pretty good rushing team, finishing 2009 ranked 4th in rushing and averaged 4.4 ypc. In this game, the Fins ran the ball 36 times for 132 yds for a 3.7 average. Looking at it a little more closely, the Fins had only 3 runs greater than 8 yards (17, 11, and 10). Take away those three runs and they gained 94 yards on their other 33 carries for a 2.8 yards per carry average. I’d say a damn good job and a hell of an improvement from last year. They didn’t generate a great deal of pressure, but when the game was on the line in the second half they picked it up – as Henne went 8-18 for 54 yards and was sacked twice and hurried a number of other times. In addition, while the linebackers had some coverage issues (as to be expected) they didn't exactly get eaten alive (we'll see how they do against Rodgers and Brady - but the assessment is for this game). Overall, the defense gave up a more than respectable 296 total yards. Considering they were on the field for almost 37 minutes and faced 73 plays – and gave up only 4.1 yds per play (and only 5 out of 73 plays greater than 10 yards – 21, 17, 16, 13, and 11) – I’d say pretty damn impressive. They didn't force any turnovers but it wasn't like they had a difficult time getting off the field either. I'd like to see them get their 3rd down conversion rate under 30% and they gave up 70 and 53 yard drives early in the game - but Miami had the ball eleven times and their other nine drives went for 21, 15, 2, 12, 3, 20, 54, 31, and 9. What I especially liked was that there were no 9 - 10 minute 70 yard drives late in the game that we have grown accustomed to over the last few years. This defense actually looked stronger as the game went on against a very physical running team. Again, impressive.

There are some fair points in here to be honest. I think perhaps I put too much emphasis on Kelsay's wandering around aimlessly when I was grading the linebackers. They didn't give up 200 yards rushing, so it probably shouldn't be an F performance.

Edited by Benjamin Barker

i cant believe that I talked myself into buying Sunday Ticket. I wish I could smack Edwards once for every extra hour that I have to work to pay for it. I feel like I been in in a abusive relationship for 30 years with this team I swear.

The nice thing about Sunday Ticket is that there are a number of other games to watch, after the Bills are done abusing you.