25 things chefs never tell you

erynthered

And a chef is not always a good line cook. I have worked in some places where the line cooks could flat out own the chef on putting out a successful dinner service.

While some chefs can be good at delegating and making pretty desert presentations when called upon to come out of their office, some can be incompetent at running the line which IMO is the most important aspect of the kitchen.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a chef is not always a good line cook. I have worked in some places where the line cooks could flat out own the chef on putting out a successful dinner service.

While some chefs can be good at delegating and making pretty desert presentations when called upon to come out of their office, some can be incompetent at running the line which IMO is the most important aspect of the kitchen.

That is not a chef. A chef kicks ass on the line. The term chef is a misnomer for many. Speed is very much part of the deal

That is not a chef. A chef kicks ass on the line. The term chef is a misnomer for many. Speed is very much part of the deal

Oh, I agree. While they are coined the "chef" by staff IMO if you can't work the line, you are as useless as breasts on a bull. I have no respect for chefs that sit mostly in their office.

Speed is very much part of working on the line however you must still maintain quality control at the same time. If not they are not up to the standards I would want in a line cook. It is fixable though.

"The first meal you put out at service should be up to the same standards as the last meal of the night".

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Oh, I agree. While they are coined the "chef" by staff IMO if you can't work the line, you are as useless as breasts on a bull. I have no respect for chefs that sit mostly in their office.

Speed is very much part of working on the line however you must still maintain quality control at the same time. If not they are not up to the standards I would want in a line cook. It is fixable though.

"The first meal you put out at service should be up to the same standards as the last meal of the night".

There was a great article in the SF Chronicle this morning about a day in the life of the French Laundry. It's not available on line yet but I'll link to it when it is tomorrow.

"Your waiter is trying to influence your order.

Almost every chef surveyed (95%) said he or she urges servers to steer customers toward specific dishes on the menu each night."

Like this is some big revelation...

Anyone who waits on tables and doesn't up-sell, or or who doesn't focus on check average, is an idiot. They even teach you the concept of up-selling at fast food joints these days.

"Your waiter is trying to influence your order.

Almost every chef surveyed (95%) said he or she urges servers to steer customers toward specific dishes on the menu each night."

Like this is some big revelation...

Anyone who waits on tables and doesn't up-sell, or or who doesn't focus on check average, is an idiot. They even teach you the concept of up-selling at fast food joints these days.

Yep, "you want fries/drink with that?"

Hey, when you gonna invite me over to your new place? 0:)

Yep, "you want fries/drink with that?"

Hey, when you gonna invite me over to your new place? 0:)

My new place rocks...I forgot how much I enjoy apartment life! Got the HT fired up, new screen in place, etc.

Oh off the high horse. I made medium wings for a thousand customers that Summer. On rare occasion, someone wanted one with less heat and I made it.

This particular douche sent it back once and I made a fresh batch mild. That was still too hot for this p***y so I let him know he needed to "nut up" if he was going to order wings by sending out the inferno.

A good lesson is: When you go into a wing shack, don't dick with the minimum wage chef. You will lose every time.

So you work at Just Pizza huh?

Second best pizza in WNY, behind Bocces (transit) of course

I once "refried" chicken wings after 10 orders spilled in the back seat floor of my buddy's Pontiac T1000 and many fell into the gravel parking lot. No complaints.

Never spit in anyone's food but once when someone twice sent wings back for being "too hot" (they ordered medium), I dumped an entire bottle of Tabasco into a bucket with the butter and sent the wings back out so hot that anyone within 10 feet would have watery eyes. The customer demanded a refund but I didn't give a ****. If you don't want chicken wings to be hot, order fried chicken you little B word.

I put tabasco on my ice cream, that is not hot sauce, its pepper flavored water.