Can somebody tell me who is going to rush the QB???

:lol:

A. What we know about the bulk of the Bills defensive personnel is from their performance in a 4-3. We can suppose/guess/infer how these skills might translate, but there is really little reliable evidence for us to go on.

This is the part where you talk out of your a**.

B. As the Bills have yet to really show their scheme, we can only infer exactly what approach to the 3-4 they have in mind. There is probably some evidence here. The Bills D in preseason probably has some flavor of what we can expect. We can take a look at what George Edwards liked to do his one previous year at DC. (Probably the best evidence we have so far, yet not really that great when you think of it.)

Yes, get the '03 Redskins taped and that will reveal all because offenses havent changed a bit in the last 10 years!

C. Speaking of "flavor" the Bills played the 3-4 maybe half the time during preseason? Correct me if I'm wrong here. I have no charts or anything. But my drunken recollection is the Bills played a bunch of 4-3/4-2-5 (I think)/etc. Are they really going to be showing a 3-4 you are assuming and how often are they going to show something different?

Again, your grasp of modern NFL defenses shines through. What you were seeing besides the trails from your blotter acid flashbacks was probably a defense adjusting to a team like the Bengals, Colts and Lions who run a ton of 3 WR sets. But you knew that because you know everything.

You see, not only do I know football. :nana:

Simply put, no you don't

I don't know what's gotten into you lately. Maybe it's the special K you've been dumping in that can of Ragu you call a sauce. :lol:

I don't see how Coleman gets activated on game day. Unless the Kawika injury has opened the door for him.

I forgot about the gameday roster vs the 53 man roster. However as you point out, Mitchell is looking doubtful and Torbor is injured too…and regardless I think Coleman has a ton of potential as a pass rusher. So I'll stick with my notion that Antonio Coleman might be among our leading sackers.

I think Chris Ellis is going to be the guy that really stands out in this new defense. His measurables are almost identical to Demarcus Ware's. 40 yard dash, height, and weight. The new coaching staff isn't stupid though and won't let on anything in regards to the D. I say he gets tons of snaps this weekend. I think some of the Bills' faithful has forgotten what competent coaching looks like. It has been a while. Rest assured, it has returned.

I disagree with this one. DeMarcus Ware is a rare athlete. In fact, I've heard some commentators say that he is virtually unblockable unless you throw a back or a tight end at him.

Ellis doesn't play with abandon…effort yes…abandon no. He doesn't seem very explosive although he seems like a good athlete. There's no aspect of Ellis' game which really stands out. Nearly all pass rushers have a forte…one thing they do very well. That's why I think Maybin has the best chance to lead us in sacks.

BTW, did John Cocktosten accuse someone of being bitter? That's funny.

I forgot about the gameday roster vs the 53 man roster. However as you point out, Mitchell is looking doubtful and Torbor is injured too…and regardless I think Coleman has a ton of potential as a pass rusher. So I'll stick with my notion that Antonio Coleman might be among our leading sackers.

I disagree with this one. DeMarcus Ware is a rare athlete. In fact, I've heard some commentators say that he is virtually unblockable unless you throw a back or a tight end at him.

Ellis doesn't play with abandon…effort yes…abandon no. He doesn't seem very explosive although he seems like a good athlete. There's no aspect of Ellis' game which really stands out. Nearly all pass rushers have a forte…one thing they do very well. That's why I think Maybin has the best chance to lead us in sacks.

BTW, did John Cocktosten accuse someone of being bitter? That's funny.

Did someone honestly just compare Chris Ellis to DeMarcus Ware? Was that serious?

And SJ, you had me until you said Maybin was going to lead the team in sacks this season. I don't suppose you'd like to bet on that...?

The 3-4 usually brings someone on a blitz, I'm hoping we can get pressure with the three man push cover with eight

Now THAT'S a pipe dream.

Edited by Leonidas

Did someone honestly just compare Chris Ellis to DeMarcus Ware? Was that serious?

Yes. Someone compared MEASURABLES. I didn't see any post where Ellis was compared positively to DeMarcus on ability, skill, effectiveness, etc.

And SJ, you had me until you said Maybin was going to lead the team in sacks this season. I don't suppose you'd like to bet on that…

Yes, someone compared Ellis to Ware.

And sure, I'm willing to bet that Maybin leads the team in sacks. What shall we bet?

Yes. Someone compared MEASURABLES. I didn't see any post where Ellis was compared positively to DeMarcus on ability, skill, effectiveness, etc.

That's very generous of you, Dean. You're very kind for being so bitter.

However, Ellis was compared to Ware…bottom line.

Yes, someone compared Ellis to Ware.

And sure, I'm willing to bet that Maybin leads the team in sacks. What shall we bet?

And my respect for you continues to grow. You name it. How does one bet online? Put money in escrow like Paypal? I'll go as high as $100, but I'll leave the final amount to you.

You name it. How does one bet online? Put money in escrow like Paypal? I'll go as high as $100, but I'll leave the final amount to you.

I don't know, Leo. I think I saw one bet here that the terms were something like the loser has to put up an avatar chosen by the winner…something along those lines. I'm on the east coast right now and fading so I can't figure out a good bet quite yet…but we'll figure something out before Sunday.

Amongst the Bills many glaring holes, the one that stands out the most to me is a pass rusher. Counting on the front the 3 to provide anything more than a push inside is a bit to optimistic.

So that leaves the OLB's, who are all transitioning from DE and have proven to be terrible pass rushers. Sure Maybin (Which is no excuse) is young but if Chris Ellis(0 sacks in 2 seasons) was a threat he would have played the last 2 years. Reggie Torbor.....is Reggie Torbor. So that leaves Chris Kelsay, who has to have pictures of the front office in a Caligula type situation, as the only other guy with an NFL sack.

I realize that the 3-4 is about coming from different angles and not just about bring pressure from the outside, but this will create 1 on1 situations with Kelsay/Ellis/Maybin on RB's and TE's and that is a recipe for disaster.

I'm not sure how a guy like Bobby Mccray, who was banged up most of last year, is not brought into to at least get a look!

This is going to be a very frustrating year because I truly think this offense is going to score but I just don't think that the Bills are going to stop the pass. It's not about secondary, it'll be about the rush. I just don't understand how this wasn't addressed at all during the offseason/draft/current FA period. :wallbash:

I have no idea what a "Caligula type situation" means, but yes, you guessed it, Chris Kelsay is being counted on by Gailey and George Edwards to put heat on the QB. :w00t: I'll believe he can do it when I see it.

And I don't understand what kind of athlete Maybin is, every time I see him he looks skinnier. I swear the way he hot dogs it whenever he piles on late for a half sack or assisted tackle, the kid looks like a coke-head who doesn't eat and stays up all night or something. He has got to be the strangest DE / OLB I have seen on an NFL team - ever? I don't know, but if I've seen a stranger looking one in my 40 plus years of watching the Bills and NFL football, I can't remember him. I've seen wide receivers that look more solidly built then Maybin carries his "255 pounds". (I bet he's down to 230 if he weighs an ounce!)

So there is your answer. Chris Kelsay and Aaron Maybin. Makes you wish Ralph Wilson had a sudden flash back to 1987 and told Buddy Nix to get Julius Peppers no matter what the cost, doesn't it? I'll never forget how Bill Polian pulled off that trade for Cornelius Bennett from the Colts. Those were the days, when Wilson trusted his football guy to spend the money necessary to win. The Colts wouldn't pay Biscuit, so Ralph Wilson did.

Oh well, back then the best free agents weren't demanding $60 Million either, so you can't blame Ralph for staying away from those insane contracts. We'll see if Peppers give the Bears defense that spark to become one of the elite in the league again.

That is a very good question. Here are some others:

Who on the O-line can play besides Wood?

When will the Bills get an NFL caliber TE?

Is there a NFL starting caliber WR on the roster besides Evans?

Can Trent Edwards throw in cold weather?

Is the Bills LB corps the worst in the NFL?

Exactly why they didn't draft a Clausen, exactly why they didn't draft a LT, and exactly why they chose Spiller. Some may say it is a luxury pick but he truly is an asset that may save some games this season. Chan & Co NEED to see what they have before they can move on. You dont build a three floor addition on a building until you know the foundation is sturdy enough. No one knows what Edwards is capable of or if he even can play in this league, no one knows if Evans is gona have a shot at being a premier reciever, I am sure we all can go on but the FO & Jauron really messed all these players up. Its like getting out of an abusive relationship.............you have to let the dust settle, find yourself and move on. Anyone who expects the playoffs this is truly not in touch with reality, now its not impossible but not probable. Yes we Bills fans are in another "rebuilding" year. At least we are looking up and not at each other wondering WTF is going on like the last three years. Just my opinions.

Did you read your post demending everyone to apologize because Kelsay and Mitchell made the team?

pot calling...

What are you talking about?

Link?

Either your reading comprehension is very poor or your intentionally misrepresenting my thread.

And your reputation here continues to sink.

I don't know, Leo. I think I saw one bet here that the terms were something like the loser has to put up an avatar chosen by the winner…something along those lines. I'm on the east coast right now and fading so I can't figure out a good bet quite yet…but we'll figure something out before Sunday.

I'll go with the avatar bet. It's a little more sporting than cash, I suppose.

Link?

And your reputation here continues to sink.

Do you honestly think that I care what you and a "few others think" of my reputation? When did you join Deano on the TBD police department?

You two have the same M.O. You feel the need to police the board and stick up for underachieving players. Then you answer everyone who doesn't agree with you with a ridiculously smug attitude as if your point is the end all, even when Sunday after Sunday it doesn't play out on the field.

I've said this before, I take it as a compliment that our logic is on polar opposite ends of the spectrum. So if my "rep" is "sinking" with you, that means I must be right.

Link: Spin it the way you want. Like my Pastor used to say, penance is nothing more than an apology to God and how fitting since you seem to think that you can dole out your own childish form of punishment on a message board.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/118618-time-to-fess-up/page__p__1956433__fromsearch__1#entry1956433