Anybody worth "dumster diving" for???

Merle Haggard

We all hope to find that 'Plan B, diamond-in-the-rough' Kenneth Davis, Leonard Smith, Mark Kelso kind of find.

In reality, all of these players cut are cut for a reason. They ain't good enough to make that teams roster.

Leinhart is out there, Dre Bly. Jon Jansen. Coffman at TE. Hartwig from Pittsburgh. Are any of these guys worth it?

We've also tried shopping Lynch, and it was rumored only Seattle had a serious offer- and that was something like a 4th rounder.

I'd love to see Nix and Whaley show us something good before the season starts, but now we are also dealing with a time crunch- would somebody brought in the next day or 2 really be much of an impact on game day? Incognito did it last year, but how quickly could a new TE or Tackle come in and start? There's a learning curve.

I don't know, boys.

We might be stuck with what we've got.

We have the room to bring in a couple of players (as evidenced by the back log of DB's). But as Regier likes to say, you need a partner to swing a trade. Is there anybody on the Bills roster besides Lynch that has value?

I think we desperately need QUALITY offensive line help too. I'm happy Chambers is finally gone. He sucked. I was growing tired of him constantly get beat by speed rushers and power players.

Now if we could only find a way to lose Tom Modrak I would consider the Bills cleansed....

We all hope to find that 'Plan B, diamond-in-the-rough' Kenneth Davis, Leonard Smith, Mark Kelso kind of find.

In reality, all of these players cut are cut for a reason. They ain't good enough to make that teams roster.

Leinhart is out there, Dre Bly. Jon Jansen. Coffman at TE. Hartwig from Pittsburgh. Are any of these guys worth it?

We've also tried shopping Lynch, and it was rumored only Seattle had a serious offer- and that was something like a 4th rounder.

I'd love to see Nix and Whaley show us something good before the season starts, but now we are also dealing with a time crunch- would somebody brought in the next day or 2 really be much of an impact on game day? Incognito did it last year, but how quickly could a new TE or Tackle come in and start? There's a learning curve.

I don't know, boys.

We might be stuck with what we've got.

We have the room to bring in a couple of players (as evidenced by the back log of DB's). But as Regier likes to say, you need a partner to swing a trade. Is there anybody on the Bills roster besides Lynch that has value?

I think we desperately need QUALITY offensive line help too. I'm happy Chambers is finally gone. He sucked. I was growing tired of him constantly get beat by speed rushers and power players.

Now if we could only find a way to lose Tom Modrak I would consider the Bills cleansed....

Jansen would be a very good addition. He likely would take over the RT spot in three weeks. Hartwig woul be a great back-up C and may in fact be an upgrade over Hangman.

Jansen would be a very good addition. He likely would take over the RT spot in three weeks. Hartwig woul be a great back-up C and may in fact be an upgrade over Hangman.

Hartwig might be nice. But Jansen is done. He was getting serious injuries every year in Washington towards the end, and does not have anything left.

I'd actually like to see us find somebody no one knew about. I'd like to see Whaley earn his money, and demonstrate why John Guy was an idiot.

Now if only we could convince nix to get rid of Modrak...

What is a dumster? Correct term is "Dumpster Diving".

Understood. Pardon the typo. Unfortunately one can not go back and edit the subject line of a post started. Perhaps one of our mods can assist? Thanks again. BTW, any thoughts on the post subject?

I'm all for picking up Jansen. He certainly better than what we have, despite his recent bad run on the injury front.

Edited by Merle Haggard

I'm all for picking up Jansen. He certainly better than what we have, despite his recent bad run on the injury front.

http://www.nickmendola.com/which-of-the-53-are-still-in-danger/

Nick Mendola agrees with you, as do I. Even if he's physically done, Jansen has to be better than Green, if for no other reason, because he knows how to play.

Another guy Mendola mentioned who I'm hopeful for is Selvish Capers. He listed him as a G but he was billed as a LT candidate in the run up to the draft.

Guys get cut for a reason. His reason could be that, with Trent Williams and the acquisition of Jammal Brown, Washington didn't have available roster spots for a project OT with upside. Since that's all we have, except for Cornell Green who lacks the upside, maybe we could throw him in the mix.

http://www.nickmendola.com/which-of-the-53-are-still-in-danger/

Nick Mendola agrees with you, as do I. Even if he's physically done, Jansen has to be better than Green, if for no other reason, because he knows how to play.

Another guy Mendola mentioned who I'm hopeful for is Selvish Capers. He listed him as a G but he was billed as a LT candidate in the run up to the draft.

Guys get cut for a reason. His reason could be that, with Trent Williams and the acquisition of Jammal Brown, Washington didn't have available roster spots for a project OT with upside. Since that's all we have, except for Cornell Green who lacks the upside, maybe we could throw him in the mix.

Good post. Capers could help us as well. As for Jansen, he was quite solid up until a couple of years ago. He will most likely end up somewher. Are need is great. Thus, we should go get him.

Hi guys. Do any of you see any possible pickups from the waiver wire that could immediately help us this season? OLinemen? QB's? Thanks.

Haven't seen anyone claim TE Chase Coffman yet - don't know that he can help right away, but was the most productive pass-catching TE in NCAA history and gotta be better than JP 'Iron-Hands' Foschi. (Despite Foschi's stints with 7 NFL teams in 6 years, guess Gailey likes those Georgia Tech guys.) After waving him yesterday, Bengals named Coffman to their practice squad today - but I don't think the period for clearing waivers is over yet, and we can always sign him off their PS anyway.

As for QB, we seem to have a thing for raiding the Packers practice squad (Brian Brohm, Jamon Meredith), and guess who they just waived???

Graham Harrell

"More than any other skill position player, Harrell has made the biggest improvement in camp. He began the summer playing tentatively, opting for the check-down pass or short throw whenever possible. But over the past couple of weeks, Harrell has exhibited a confidence that has transformed his play. He’s just as likely to throw down the field as he is to dump it off. With his improved confidence, he has shown off arm strength that wasn’t evident when the Packers first signed him during the organized team activities."

(And, of course, we all know that Harrell blew up every NCAA passing record at Texas Tech - link - certainly rather have GH lining up over center this Sunday than any of our current QBs.)

Don't see any outstanding OL castoffs still available - Jean-Gilles re-signed with the Eagles, Adam Terry is now a SD Charger, but I am a sucker for great stories and absolutely LOVE this one...

Link - Cal's Mike Tepper has quite a story

"There are more coveted offensive tackles in this NFL draft class, but none with a more compelling story than California's Mike Tepper. The offensive tackle had his leg torn up when he was run over by a car, but he bounced back with Bears and figure to be a mid- to late-round NFL draft pick."

Link - Cal athlete run over by men annoying a female friend

Good size at 6'7", 319 lbs. Versatile as well - started 13 games at LT in senior year, 13 at RT prior season, has size and skill set to also play guard. Love to see guys with that kind of courage, character, and resolve in Buffalo Bills blue!

Tepper - player bio

Tepper - scout report

Harrel would be a nice project if we didn't already have a project in Brohm. If we are going to pick up a QB, we should get someone who has a chance to play first string like Matt Leinart. Nix and Modrak appear a little slow on the draw.

I don't understand what's going on at TE, but Modrak must have a couple of people on the radar now that we're down to only one. Just shows how little regard Gailey and Nix had for the TEs that weren't injured in camp. It would be nice to pick up some depth at OL as well.

Harrel would be a nice project if we didn't already have a project in Brohm. If we are going to pick up a QB, we should get someone who has a chance to play first string like Matt Leinart. Nix and Modrak appear a little slow on the draw.

I don't understand what's going on at TE, but Modrak must have a couple of people on the radar now that we're down to only one. Just shows how little regard Gailey and Nix had for the TEs that weren't injured in camp. It would be nice to pick up some depth at OL as well.

It's about time, and I'm still not sure that TE Shawn Nelson is not another James Hardy in waiting.

Modrak sucks, and needs to be dismissed.

They have got to have something in the works. I'm pretty sure 1 TE is not going to cut it going into the season. Tony Scheffler is under contract, but might be a good pick up. I like Owen Daniels in Houston.

Would Marshawn Lynch for Owen Daniels be a fair trade?

Haven't seen anyone claim TE Chase Coffman yet - don't know that he can help right away, but was the most productive pass-catching TE in NCAA history and gotta be better than JP 'Iron-Hands' Foschi. (Despite Foschi's stints with 7 NFL teams in 6 years, guess Gailey likes those Georgia Tech guys.) After waving him yesterday, Bengals named Coffman to their practice squad today - but I don't think the period for clearing waivers is over yet, and we can always sign him off their PS anyway.

As for QB, we seem to have a thing for raiding the Packers practice squad (Brian Brohm, Jamon Meredith), and guess who they just waived???

Graham Harrell

"More than any other skill position player, Harrell has made the biggest improvement in camp. He began the summer playing tentatively, opting for the check-down pass or short throw whenever possible. But over the past couple of weeks, Harrell has exhibited a confidence that has transformed his play. He’s just as likely to throw down the field as he is to dump it off. With his improved confidence, he has shown off arm strength that wasn’t evident when the Packers first signed him during the organized team activities."

(And, of course, we all know that Harrell blew up every NCAA passing record at Texas Tech - link - certainly rather have GH lining up over center this Sunday than any of our current QBs.)

Don't see any outstanding OL castoffs still available - Jean-Gilles re-signed with the Eagles, Adam Terry is now a SD Charger, but I am a sucker for great stories and absolutely LOVE this one...

Link - Cal's Mike Tepper has quite a story

"There are more coveted offensive tackles in this NFL draft class, but none with a more compelling story than California's Mike Tepper. The offensive tackle had his leg torn up when he was run over by a car, but he bounced back with Bears and figure to be a mid- to late-round NFL draft pick."

Link - Cal athlete run over by men annoying a female friend

youtube.com/watch?v=ZvLLYTud7_U

Good size at 6'7", 319 lbs. Versatile as well - started 13 games at LT in senior year, 13 at RT prior season, has size and skill set to also play guard. Love to see guys with that kind of courage, character, and resolve in Buffalo Bills blue!

Tepper - player bio

Tepper - scout report

Thanks Senator. Great thoughts as well as links.