AFC - Where Do We Stand ?

Mark VI

I'm politely asking. Can the Google BS.  :w00t:

Who do the Bills need to catch for the last wild card slot ? Standings as of now.

Ejamacate me.  :w00t:

147265[/snapback]

Assuming the Bills finish 10-6, 3 of these 4 scenarios have to happen:

1. Jets lose 3 of 4, with one of them being against the Pats

2. Ravens lose 2 of 4

3. Broncos lose 2 of 4 (assuming they lose in next 2 minutes to SD)

4. Jags lose 2 of 5 (watch tonight's game against Steelers)

Assuming the Bills finish 10-6, 3 of these 4 scenarios have to happen:

1. Jets lose 3 of 4, with one of them being against the Pats

2. Ravens lose 2 of 4

3. Broncos lose 2 of 4 (assuming they lose in next 2 minutes to SD)

4. Jags lose 2 of 5 (watch tonight's game against Steelers)

147283[/snapback]

Actually two out of your first three and number four need to happen. Remember their is two spots available.

NFL Standings

Pats, Colts, Stillers, Chargers are sitting pretty - all four have at least a two-game lead in their divisions. Jets are 9-3, in good position to sew up a wildcard. That leaves one open spot.

At 6-6, we're tied with Cincy and a game back of Baltimore (plus the head-to-head tiebreaker) and Denver. Pitt can help us out by beating Jax tonight, which would put them at 6-6 (but also with the tiebreaker on us.)

KH has kindly already done the math:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=11234

Basically, I think it's unrealistic to think the Jets will tank the rest of the season, which means they get one of the two wild card spots.

That means we have to beat out everybody else for the final wild card.

Right now, we're 6-6. We need to be 10-6.

The Ravens and Broncos are now 7-5. Hopefully, if the Steelers can pull it out tonight, the Jags would be 6-6.

The real problem is that we lost to both the Ravens and Jags, so we can't be tied with them at 10-6 since they get the tiebreaker. So, both of those teams need to go 9-7 or worse, which means they both have to lose at least 2 more.

I don't know the tiebreaker situation with Denver. Would we win the tiebreaker if we both finished 10-6?

Hmmm. Looks bleak. Do the Bills come up + or -  in any of the tiebreakers, assuming other teams finish with the identical record ? I know we lost to the Ravens and Jags, so we must beat them by a full game, correct ?

147334[/snapback]

well tie breakers go head to head and we lost to Jags and Ravens so not looking good.

Since we have not lost against the NFC (and probably will not), this means that all of our losses will have been against the AFC. Therefore, our conference record (which is a tie-breaker) is automatically as bad as possible among all teams that end up 10-6.

NFL Standings

Pats, Colts, Stillers, Chargers are sitting pretty - all four have at least a two-game lead in their divisions. Jets are 9-3, in good position to sew up a wildcard. That leaves one open spot.

At 6-6, we're tied with Cincy and a game back of Baltimore (plus the head-to-head tiebreaker) and Denver. Pitt can help us out by beating Jax tonight, which would put them at 6-6 (but also with the tiebreaker on us.)

KH has kindly already done the math:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=11234

147328[/snapback]

Thank you, my dear.

So who should I blame for that 0-4 start ? Bledsoe, Henry or the Coaching ? It's board protocol to endlessly drone on about who's fault it is, so please direct me properly. :w00t:

Basically, I think it's unrealistic to think the Jets will tank the rest of the season, which means they get one of the two wild card spots.

I don't know the tiebreaker situation with Denver. Would we win the tiebreaker if we both finished 10-6?

147336[/snapback]

Not so fast, Rubes! The Jets have a BRUTAL 4-game schedule left to play. I'll give them the home win against the Hawks, but the Patriots, Steelers, and Rams games (in St. Louis) could all be losses.

Also, the tiebreaker situation with Denver will come down to AFC record. Right now they are 4-4, and we are 3-6.

Hmmm. Looks bleak. Do the Bills come up + or -  in any of the tiebreakers, assuming other teams finish with the identical record ? I know we lost to the Ravens and Jags, so we must beat them by a full game, correct ?

147334[/snapback]

Yeah, it's still a longshot, but remember this - if more than two teams end up tied for that last wildcard, and we didn't get swept by the teams we're tied with, then the head-to-head goes out the window and we go to the conference records. (Trouble is, we're not in great shape there either. If we win out, our conference record would be 6-6.)

Other overall/AFC records:

BAL 7-5, 5-4 (Giants, at Indy, at Pitt, Miami)

CIN 6-6, 4-6 (at NE, Buffalo, Giants, at Philly)

DEN 7-5, 4-4 (Miami, at KC, at Tennessee, Indy)

JAX 6-6, 5-5 (Chicago, Green Bay, Houston, at Oakland)

NYJ 9-3, 7-3 (at Pitt, Seattle, NE, at St. Louis)

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

(For those of you who asked about Denver - if they go 10-6, then their AFC record would be 7-5. If that happens, we lose. Cheer against every team on the above list every week, just to be safe. Yes, I realize a couple of them play Miami. We're that desperate.)

That means we have to beat out everybody else for the final wild card.

Right now, we're 6-6. We need to be 10-6.

The Ravens and Broncos are now 7-5. Hopefully, if the Steelers can pull it out tonight, the Jags would be 6-6.

The real problem is that we lost to both the Ravens and Jags, so we can't be tied with them at 10-6 since they get the tiebreaker. So, both of those teams need to go 9-7 or worse, which means they both have to lose at least 2 more.

147336[/snapback]

That would depend on our division and conference records, respectively.

So it all come back to the 4th and long play against the Jags ? Point taken.

I can think of multiple missed opportunities in the Raiders and Jets road games also.

147399[/snapback]

Absolutely. Rarely, however, can one ever say that if one player simply does a simple thing, that he is in position to do, that is a seventh grade play, is the game DEFINITIVELY won or lost. That was such a play. Even the last play of the game, the TD, we couldnt just say one of the Bills should have or could have done something simple like knock the ball down.