In what ways are the other AFC East teams better than the Bills?

I'm not trying to be facetious here, but I'm genuinely curious about the perceived strengths/weaknesses of our division foes amongst Bills fans. Some are obvious (of course the Patriots are head and shoulders above us in the passing game, and the Jets have the league's best overall defense).

However, there are other things I'm not so sold on. For instance, I believe that the Bills rushing game this year is equal to if not better than any of our AFC East rivals. While everyone (at least that I know) bemoans the Bills WRs, is Miami that much better? There's a significant drop-off after Brandon Marshall (although I do think that Davone Bess has potential).

Long story short, I don't think that the Bills are so bad as to automatically disqualify them from competing in the division; in fact, I think that there are a lot of things that we have going for us that our opponents don't (see New England's defense, for instance). What are some of your thoughts?

The fact that players have commented either themselves or through their agents that they dont want to play in Buffalo.

Okay this is stupid - going back 40 years for the Jets and Dolphins to find their trophy, means nothing today nor to the current players. The big advantage they all held was coaching and GM, some better players in places but bigger problem was our players in the wrong places.

I don't argue the flawed logic. What way are our div. foes better? Ask them and this will be one of the responses. When we fail to make the playoffs for a decade, people nationwide begin to draw these conclusions as well. Step away from WNY for a while and you'll see this to be part of the perception -flawed, but perceived.

To the OP's ?, none are better than us in DB's, RB's Punter and Place Kicker. One is better at QB and WR -IMO,we're on a par with the other 2. Can't make an accurate guess on DL, LB as it's too new here yet. Our OL is better than most people give credit and better than NE & MIA. There are no great TE's in the div. JMO.

Edited by Chandler#81

I think Buffalo is actually getting there, slowly. Wood has it. I saw Bell stick up for someone last week, Stroud can do it.

Yes, I remember a Pats game on Sunday night a few years ago where Buffalo all but layed a red carpet out for NE, that made me throw up a bit. But I think this is slowly changing from what I have seen so far this pre-season.

Bell stuck up for Wood.

N.E. is better because they've beaten the Bills for, what, 13 straight games,; and many of those were straight butt whupping's. They have a better QB, better line play on both sides of the ball and better coaching when compared to our past coaches.

NY and Miami are New York and Miami, big names little results, but sexy locales. The Bills can and will compete with both of those teams this season. Health being even, I do not believe we finish last in the division or close to worst in the league. Might not be more than 8-8 or 7-9, but that tells you what I think of the hype surrounding the Jets and Fins. I would say the Bills pick anywhere from 9-14 in the draft.

Edited by purple haze

Replying to In what ways are the other AFC East teams better than the Bills?

1. Quarterback (NE by a mile, Miami & NYJ slightly)

2. Receivers (All of them by a big margin)

3. Offensive Line (see #2)

4. Defensive Line (see #2)

5. Line Backers (may be close)

6. Coaching (see #2)

7. Front Office (see #2)

8. Ownership (see #2)

Could probably go on. Not trying to be negative, as I am as big a Bills fan as anyone else on this board, but just answering your question. Now if you ask how other teams in the AFC East aren't as good or better than the Bills I would respond:

1. Running Backs (best in the division, with Thomas Jones gone from NYJ, much better than them and NE, close with Miami-although I would take our depth when healthy)

2. Defensive Backfield (as good as anyone else, maybe the best depth in the division)

3. Kickers (best punter & place kicker in the division)

4. Best fans in the division as well as the entire NFL.

I refuse to believe that Mark Sanchez is better at QB than anyone but possibly me.