Gameplan for Detroit

MClem06

Offense - Start practicing screens and draws. I haven't seen the Bills use the screen pass or draw play effectivly in over 6 seasons. I remember back in our hayday, a screen play would go for 20-30 yards easy... plus draws that would keep our offense from being so damn predictable and keep the opposing defenses guessing. Play actions, are they too hard to pull off with our line.. maybe but it's preseason. I have seen only a handful in this preseason. Now i know that they are working on the basics but as far as working on these things now, i think it's pretty crucial to develope a timing now before the season starts.

Defense - BLITZ EVERY FREAKING PLAY.. no joke. I would like to see a blitz on every down and i don't give a sheet if we give up a big pass play again... it's preseason. We have to have our linebackers searching for the gaps more often to get used to the looks and pass protections the lines are going to give. I don't care if we just go man on man every play with the corners and safties and soley send in our LB's on different sides but they DEFINITLY need practice. Has anyone seen a positive sign of forward progress on the pass rush. I think our Pass rush might be just as dire as our O-Line. Have a feeling that QB's are going to have all day against us.

Injuries are going to happen.. it's football. But any team who is projected the bottom rung of their division should be letting their 4th preseason game be another 2 quarter practice (at least) for the starters. Disagree if you may but with the exception of Spiller and Evans, I think both sides of the ball in every position need more game time in this Detroit game. I'd be disappointed if he lets trent play 2 series and out. For those that say "what if he goes down then our entire season is screwed" i say we're in that boat now anyways. The guy needs more time in Chan's system.

Just my take on this upcoming Detroit game. One more thing... I am probably the only guy on this board that thinks they shouldn't remove a preseason game to add a regular season game. Think of where we would be without an extra game to get a brand new defensive scheme, a brand new offensive system in place before regular season. While it sounds good to those teams that are going on their 6th 7th year with the same program, teams making adjustments like ours are going to need the experience of 4 games IMO.

Offense - Start practicing screens and draws. I haven't seen the Bills use the screen pass or draw play effectivly in over 6 seasons. I remember back in our hayday, a screen play would go for 20-30 yards easy... plus draws that would keep our offense from being so damn predictable and keep the opposing defenses guessing. Play actions, are they too hard to pull off with our line.. maybe but it's preseason. I have seen only a handful in this preseason. Now i know that they are working on the basics but as far as working on these things now, i think it's pretty crucial to develope a timing now before the season starts.

I don't know,... go to NFL.com and look at one of the Spiller highlights and the Corey McIntyre highlight (both are there). Looks like they have the screen pass down. Spiller looks like Thurman out there....

Bills/Bengals Highlights

McIntyre screen @ 1:53

Spiller screen @ 2:16

Defense - BLITZ EVERY FREAKING PLAY.. no joke. I would like to see a blitz on every down and i don't give a sheet if we give up a big pass play again... it's preseason. We have to have our linebackers searching for the gaps more often to get used to the looks and pass protections the lines are going to give. I don't care if we just go man on man every play with the corners and safties and soley send in our LB's on different sides but they DEFINITLY need practice. Has anyone seen a positive sign of forward progress on the pass rush. I think our Pass rush might be just as dire as our O-Line. Have a feeling that QB's are going to have all day against us.

Injuries are going to happen.. it's football. But any team who is projected the bottom rung of their division should be letting their 4th preseason game be another 2 quarter practice (at least) for the starters. Disagree if you may but with the exception of Spiller and Evans, I think both sides of the ball in every position need more game time in this Detroit game. I'd be disappointed if he lets trent play 2 series and out. For those that say "what if he goes down then our entire season is screwed" i say we're in that boat now anyways. The guy needs more time in Chan's system.

Just my take on this upcoming Detroit game. One more thing... I am probably the only guy on this board that thinks they shouldn't remove a preseason game to add a regular season game. Think of where we would be without an extra game to get a brand new defensive scheme, a brand new offensive system in place before regular season. While it sounds good to those teams that are going on their 6th 7th year with the same program, teams making adjustments like ours are going to need the experience of 4 games IMO.

If you have watch any of the 3 games so far you will have seen many screens and draws. They actually run the screens pretty well.

The only plan for this game is to play people on the bubble as much as you can so you can decide who to cut.

EXACTLY! There will not be any strategy or exotic play-calling in this one. Here is the double secret gameplan:

Starters:

Make no mistakes

Make good decisions

Don't get hurt for the 1-2 series your in the game

Backups:

Make no mistakes

Make good decisions

Prove to the coaches you can step in for one of the 1st string players if they go down

...and don't let one of the scrubs catch you!

Bubble players / scrubs:

Make no mistakes

Make good decisions

Play your asses off and prove you belong because this might be your last chance at making an NFL roster