15-20 yard pass play

The 15-20 yard pass is the crucial play that will either make this offense go or be its Achilles heel. For any offense this is the most difficult pass to have success with, but it’s something all the good offenses have in common. Some like to blame Edwards ie: Captain Check Down, Trentative Edwards, etc. But if I had the same protection he gets, I’d check down and chuck bombs too.

It was nice to see the 70 yard bomb to Evans, but I’ll start getting confident when/if the intermediate plays come. And it needs to 5-7 times per game for this team to succeed. My guess is we will struggle to produce that pass play for most of the year.

The hilarious thing about all this captain checkdown bull **** is no one mentioned anything about that when Brohm came out and threw a bunch of short passes.

Maybe it's because he got first downs in 3rd and ... situations and kept the offense on the field..? He also got out of a 1st and 20 situation, something that I don't remember Edwards EVER doing..

I have been saying this for years. Sure, big plays are important, but the fact of the matter is that the intermediate passing game is where you win games on a consistent basis. That is why Edwards will never be successful.

98% of the time he throws the ball 7 yards or less. The other 2% go 50+ in the air. He does not make the 1-25 yard throws that are needed to win on a regular basis. Top QBs make that throw several times a game......15-25 yards down the middle of the field. Edwards does not make that throw. Either he can't read the defense and can't anticipate a WR coming open or he does see it but doesn't have the ba**s to make the throw because he is so scarred of making a mistake. What that turns into is what you see...........Edwards patting the ball then throwing it at the last minute and still making the mistakes he is trying to avoid!!!!

Fact is we do not have a QB on this team that will probably throw that pass on a regular basis. Brohm may throw it, but we will never find out because he will not get a chance to work with the first team. Our QB is in the 2011 Draft.

I have been saying this for years. Sure, big plays are important, but the fact of the matter is that the intermediate passing game is where you win games on a consistent basis. That is why Edwards will never be successful.

98% of the time he throws the ball 7 yards or less. The other 2% go 50+ in the air. He does not make the 1-25 yard throws that are needed to win on a regular basis. Top QBs make that throw several times a game......15-25 yards down the middle of the field. Edwards does not make that throw. Either he can't read the defense and can't anticipate a WR coming open or he does see it but doesn't have the ba**s to make the throw because he is so scarred of making a mistake. What that turns into is what you see...........Edwards patting the ball then throwing it at the last minute and still making the mistakes he is trying to avoid!!!!

Fact is we do not have a QB on this team that will probably throw that pass on a regular basis. Brohm may throw it, but we will never find out because he will not get a chance to work with the first team. Our QB is in the 2011 Draft.

Sven, I agree with you there. Trent has a great arm, no argument. He is probably a pretty smart guy, but he is terribly gun shy. When he is pressured, he chucks a quick outside pass for 2-3 yards, and hopefully doesn't get sacked. He does not pass outside of the 4 yd line. I don't think he can read the field and the coverage well. He did well his first year, then its been the same stuff since then...checkdown, or go down.

I'm not saying Brohm is the answer, but he showed he is capable of moving the chains and keeping the drive alive. His quick passes seem to spread the field, without getting flustered. Fitz does well too, but seems slower and not as accurate as Brohm. Trent doesn't appear to have the vision necessary to make these passes. He does have a great arm, and I'm sure that is why all the coaches each season pick him as #1, but as soon as real marauders cross the line scrimage, they see first hand what the rest of us cringe at...Trent running outside and throwing the ball short.

I'm not advocating that we have the QB that can make this read and throw, but I know for sure, we don't give the kind of protection needed to consistently produce it. If our offensive line isn't to blame for the lack of success in this area, at the very least they leave us wondering who's fault it is. Unfortunately we won't know the answers to this question because we haven't upgraded either position.

Edited by Buffalonian-at-Heart

The hilarious thing about all this captain checkdown bull **** is no one mentioned anything about that when Brohm came out and threw a bunch of short passes.

most of brohm's short passes were designed quick slants where TE has often has a play with downfield options and elects to check down. Thats the difference.

Guest dog14787

HC Chan Gailey in my opinion is going to be very adapt at exploiting another teams weaknesses in the NFL and also setting up plays with other plays.(Great Play caller)

Give Gailey & Co. a chance to get going here, you can't expect the Bills to show to much of what their going to do offensively until the regular season starts. While I don't have any actual numbers there are allot of reports coming in from the Bills practice sessions showing that intermediate plays are being worked on and connecting with good regularity.

I'm not just talking about Edwards, Brohm and Fitpatrick are also making completions regularly in the intermediate passing game.

With all due respect Buffalonian, I'm not buying into the 15-20 yard pass play as being a maker or breaker

Edited by dog14787

The 15-20 yard pass is the crucial play that will either make this offense go or be its Achilles heel. For any offense this is the most difficult pass to have success with, but its something all the good offenses have in common. Some like to blame Edwards ie: Captain Check Down, Trentative Edwards, etc. But if I had the same protection he gets, Id check down and chuck bombs too.

It was nice to see the 70 yard bomb to Evans, but Ill start getting confident when/if the intermediate plays come. And it needs to 5-7 times per game for this team to succeed. My guess is we will struggle to produce that pass play for most of the year.

I think that you are wrong, apparently he did it again in practice last night. I am reserving judgement though, as there are a lot of other

areas were he might not get past his regression.I did like they fact that his successfull bomb came after a couple of very ugly series where he

was hammered good a couple of times. I think that that will be the key for Trent this year, what he does after a bad interception, or an ugly

hard sack.

Edited by Cookiemonster