Next year's top QB prospects

Leonidas

Since it seems pretty likely a) we don't have our franchise QB on our roster at the moment and b) we should have a pretty high draft pick, can anybody who regularly watches college football shed some light on the top QB prospects for next year?

#1 Jake Locker, QB, Washington - Scouting Report

Height: 6-3. Weight: 223.

Projected 40 Time: 4.59.

Projected Round (2011): Top 5 Pick.

3/29/10: Jake Locker took a huge risk going back to school. If he gets hurt or if scouts notice something wrong on film, his stock could drop dramatically. For now, he's the No. 1 quarterback prospect in the 2011 class. Perhaps he should follow Sam Bradford's example and take the entire 2010 season off.

With no help around him, Locker threw for 2,800 yards, 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in 2009.

10/2/09: From Matt's 2010 NFL Draft Stock page: I have watched three quarters of film so far on the USC-Washington matchup. Locker has average arm strength, but he has great mechanics and has some upside with his athleticism. A few times he was inconsistent. I was impressed with Locker because of his poise under pressure and accuracy. He missed the slot receiver once who was wide open for a touchdown on a skinny post. Instead of going through his progression reads he just zoned in on his tight end.

Early in the first quarter on 3rd-and-6, the flaker ran a hitch route and had five yards of separation. Locker hesitated and didn't make a throw. He has time to correct this, and I think he has some talent, but he doesn't have elite talent like Mark Sanchez or Matthew Stafford. Locker will likely stay for his senior year, and he does have first-round potential down the road.

#2 Andrew Luck**, QB, Stanford

Height: 6-4. Weight: 235.

Projected 40 Time: 4.80.

Projected Round (2011): Top 5 Pick.

3/29/10: A redshirt sophomore in 2009, Andrew Luck will be eligible for the 2011 NFL Draft. He was very impressive as a first-year starter, compiling 2,575 yards, 13 touchdowns and four picks on an 8.9 YPA and a 56.3 completion percentage.

#3 Ryan Mallett*, QB, Arkansas - Scouting Report

Height: 6-7. Weight: 238.

Projected 40 Time: 5.05.

Projected Round (2011): Top 15 Pick.

3/29/10: At 6-7 with a massive arm, Ryan Mallett looks like a franchise quarterback. His 2009 numbers (3,624 yards, 30 TDs, 7 INTs, 9.0 YPA) will tell you that as well. He's a bit raw and needs to work on decision-making, but he could easily leapfrog Jake Locker on this list next year.

11/7/09: As a redshirt sophomore, there's a good chance Ryan Mallett declares because of a possible rookie payscale in 2011. He has enormous upside, but is very raw and unpolished. Think Joe Flacco without the playing experience.

7/24/08: Interesting that Ryan Mallett goes from one scumbag (Rich Rodriguez) to another (Bobby Petrino). As a redshirt freshman, Mallett threw seven touchdowns and five picks, but maintained a meager completion percentage of 43.3 in relief of Chad Henne. Mallett has tons of potential to be an effective pocket passer, but he has absolutely no mobility.

#4 Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

Height: 6-3. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.72.

Projected Round (2011): Top 25 Pick.

3/29/10: Christian Ponder finished the year with 2,718 yards, 14 touchdowns and seven interceptions on a YPA of 8.2 and impressive 68.8 completion percentage.

11/7/09: A slightly better version of Tony Pike; his arm strength isn't very good, but he's a smart and accurate quarterback.

#5 Terrelle Pryor*, QB, Ohio State

Height: 6-6. Weight: 235.

Projected 40 Time: 4.42.

Projected Round (2011): 1-2.

3/29/10: Battling inconsistency issues, Terrelle Pryor threw for 2,087 yards, 18 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, but suffered a decline in completion percentage (56.5) and YPA (7.1). He struggled as a sophomore, but the upside is there.

8/5/09: As a true freshman, Terrelle Pryor threw for 1,311 yards, 12 touchdowns and four picks, maintaining a completion percentage of 60.2 and a YPA of 7.9. Pryor has played a decent amount under center in an offense that runs pro-style routes.

looking at the QBs for next yr, I dont consider Locker or Luck. All indications are that Luck will return to stanford, and Locker, IMO, has way too much leverage having already signed a MLB contract. IMO, locker is most likely to "elway" the bills if we were to draft him.

With that said, Mallett is basically a bledsoe clone, and if you thought clausen was cocky, you wont like Mallett.

I'm looking at Ponder, the kid from texas A&M, Nathan Enderel from Idaho, and Ricki Stanzi from Iowa

Locker, IMO, has way too much leverage having already signed a MLB contract. IMO, locker is most likely to "elway" the bills if we were to draft him.

You think he'd leave all the guaranteed money on the table that comes with being a high pick in the NFL draft? He was a 10th-round selection in the MLB draft; the No. 1 overall choice, Bryce Harper, "only" got $10 million total, so obviously Locker doesn't stand to make that much with his initial contract with the Angels. Financially, he'd be much better off joining the Bills than the Angels.

looking at the QBs for next yr, I dont consider Locker or Luck. All indications are that Luck will return to stanford, and Locker, IMO, has way too much leverage having already signed a MLB contract. IMO, locker is most likely to "elway" the bills if we were to draft him.

With that said, Mallett is basically a bledsoe clone, and if you thought clausen was cocky, you wont like Mallett.

I'm looking at Ponder, the kid from texas A&M, Nathan Enderel from Idaho, and Ricki Stanzi from Iowa

I hear Mallett is a Derek Anderson-clone. Blech.

Heard good things about Ponder, but never heard much of those other guys. Certainly wouldn't seem like first round material...especially where we're going to pick.

You think he'd leave all the guaranteed money on the table that comes with being a high pick in the NFL draft? He was a 10th-round selection in the MLB draft; the No. 1 overall choice, Bryce Harper, "only" got $10 million total, so obviously Locker doesn't stand to make that much with his initial contract with the Angels. Financially, he'd be much better off joining the Bills than the Angels.

Perhaps. Let's see what happens with the CBA first. Could be comparable to MLB in terms of a rookie scale. But I suppose his $300,000 contract with the Angels can't compare to a top-3 contract in the NFL, irrespective of the new CBA.

Unless there is a rookie salary cap in the new CBA. IMO both sides are on board with this option. If there is no rookie cap, then Sam Bradford type money of 50 million gauranteed would be the better option.

I am assuming there will be a rookie wage scale next yr.

I hear Mallett is a Derek Anderson-clone. Blech.

Heard good things about Ponder, but never heard much of those other guys. Certainly wouldn't seem like first round material...especially where we're going to pick.

here's a few links for Enderle:

Enderle stats per ESPN

Enderle write-up

He's being compared to Jay cutler from what i've seen, minus the diabetes.

Also, check out his bowl game last yr against bowling green, big #'s, clutch throws. Should be interesting to see how he does this yr.

Since it seems pretty likely a) we don't have our franchise QB on our roster at the moment and b) we should have a pretty high draft pick, can anybody who regularly watches college football shed some light on the top QB prospects for next year?

Remember, before his last season Jevan Snead was widely expected to be a top ten prospect.

It's just too early. We don't know how these guys will look because we haven't seen their last year, which is their most important year.

One thing, though, is that Andrew Luck seems very likely to stay in school for another year. He most likely will come out in the 2012 draft.

I am assuming there will be a rookie wage scale next yr.

I guess you're in the opposite camp of those who think the 2011 season is in jeopardy.

Here's why I believe there will be NO rookie cap in 2011. In order for there to be a rookie cap, a new CBA has to be in place. All indications are the negotiations will go slow and it will be long after the draft when the CBA is hammered out, probably after an initial lockout in July 2011. Let's use Locker as an example-if the Bills have the #1 pick, they will be looking to sign the player before they draft him to assure he doesn't look to force a trade. Since the odds of a CBA before the draft are slim & none, the odds of there being a rookie cap-which would have to be established before the draft so that teams know how to structure their entire salary budget- are also slim & none.

The rookie salary cap will come in the year 2012 at the earliest, not 2011. Some people won't want to hear this because it will kill their "Ralph is cheap & didn't want to pay a QB before the rookie cap in 2011" theories. Those same people will be here next April claiming we won't pick a QB because there's no rookie cap, and they'll be wrong.

I guess you're in the opposite camp of those who think the 2011 season is in jeopardy.

Here's why I believe there will be NO rookie cap in 2011. In order for there to be a rookie cap, a new CBA has to be in place. All indications are the negotiations will go slow and it will be long after the draft when the CBA is hammered out, probably after an initial lockout in July 2011. Let's use Locker as an example-if the Bills have the #1 pick, they will be looking to sign the player before they draft him to assure he doesn't look to force a trade. Since the odds of a CBA before the draft are slim & none, the odds of there being a rookie cap-which would have to be established before the draft so that teams know how to structure their entire salary budget- are also slim & none.

The rookie salary cap will come in the year 2012 at the earliest, not 2011. Some people won't want to hear this because it will kill their "Ralph is cheap & didn't want to pay a QB before the rookie cap in 2011" theories. Those same people will be here next April claiming we won't pick a QB because there's no rookie cap, and they'll be wrong.

I'm not one of the "ralph is cheap blah blah blah" guys.

If what you think happens, I still am not sold on Locker being a Buffalo Bill.

First, I dont think he is the best QB in this draft. I think he is a very good prospect, but I am not sold on his ability to read defenses, or his accuracy. When I see Locker i see a young steve young, which is great if we're the 49ers, but we're not, we are in the bucs position, and thats not good.

Personally, I think that Ponder my be better, and I'm very interested in keeping track of Nate Enderle from Idaho this Season. Enderle has drawn comparisons to Jay Cutler, which is fine by me.

Second, Im not convinced we will go QB first next April, although we are in desperate need of a QB, we may elect to go LT, if one is available. I am not well versed on the LT prospects for this season yet, but what I do know is that there are more than 2 really good QBs in this draft, and we dont absolutely have to go QB in rd 1.

Buddy Nix doesnt seem inclined to trade picks so far, so I doubt we will see a big trade for 2 #1's next april. IMO, we may be better served to go LT first and QB second. But we shall see how this college season turns out.

I do not think money will affect who we pick, but I do think that Locker has leverage being already drafted in MLB.

Doesn't matter. Even of there is, his contract in the NFL would dwarf any MLB contract he would get. Andhe would be in the NFL, not some Single A League.

Either way, something just makes me think he won't want to play in buffalo, maybe he "elways" us, maybe he "eli's" us, but I dont think he will be a Bill.

Either way, something just makes me think he won't want to play in buffalo, maybe he "elways" us, maybe he "eli's" us, but I dont think he will be a Bill.

If he's not a Bill next year, then it will more likely be because either he's as great as soem say and he goes before we select or, perhaps more likely, his modest stats to this point reflect a mediocre QB. His performance this year will be scrutinized intensely. He could fall into oblivion like Brohm.

I really liked Christian Ponder from Fla. St. Saw him play several times. He is coming off an injury so we'll have to see how that pans out thru the season and I believe coach Bowden retired and that might effect his offense with new coaches there.