WGR again

jahbonas

What, do you work for WGR? Quit making excuses for a "sports" station that does food drafts instead of talking sports. If they are bored with covering an NFL team, move on to cover high school soccer in Ohio or get on a morning zoo music station and quit denying us sports fans of decent sports talk.

WGR is not a serious sports station. It hasn't been for years. Calling that station a total sports station is like calling a "soft rock" station a "rock station". If you have a serious interest in following sports then you are going to be very disappointed listening to that station. They are not what you want them to be. It is as simple as that.

One of the primary pruducers on the show is a comedian. On the weekends he does comedy gigs. You and many of the other posters have a certain expectation as to what a sports radio should be about. That is fine. But the expectation you have or listening taste you have will never be fulfilled by WGR because they are not the type of show you would ever be satisfied with.

There are people who were devoted to the Jerry Seinfeld show, a comedy show about nothing. There are also a sizeable number of people who never understood why people would enjoy that show. It is about different tastes which will only satisfy a targeted segment of people.

WGR is what it is. Their format is not an accident. It is by design. If you don't like the shows then don't listen. I listen to some audio vault segments, and that is more than enough for me. WGR is not a serious sports station because the station doesn't want to be a serious sports station.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well IMO when you are a little bit of everything, you wind up being nothing. I guess you really have to like Brad Riter.

PTR

I do. And, Tony Kornheiser......Guys who talk about things that are interesting, whether it's the City Grill shootings, the PGA fiasco, etc. - not who the 5th receiver is going to be on this horrible Bills team.

I've had season tickets for 25 years now. I've gone to about 5 preseason games in all those years. This crap is soooo boring.

WGR is not a serious sports station. It hasn't been for years. Calling that station a total sports station is like calling a "soft rock" station a "rock station". If you have a serious interest in following sports then you are going to be very disappointed listening to that station. They are not what you want them to be. It is as simple as that.

One of the primary pruducers on the show is a comedian. On the weekends he does comedy gigs. You and many of the other posters have a certain expectation as to what a sports radio should be about. That is fine. But the expectation you have or listening taste you have will never be fulfilled by WGR because they are not the type of show you would ever be satisfied with.

There are people who were devoted to the Jerry Seinfeld show, a comedy show about nothing. There are also a sizeable number of people who never understood why people would enjoy that show. It is about different tastes which will only satisfy a targeted segment of people.

WGR is what it is. Their format is not an accident. It is by design. If you don't like the shows then don't listen. I listen to some audio vault segments, and that is more than enough for me. WGR is not a serious sports station because the station doesn't want to be a serious sports station.

You know what tries to be serious sports is stuff like espn radio and fox sports. I can't listen for more than 5 minutes without being bored to death. I used to like that stuff, before the Net. Now, I can get all the info I need online.......What can be more exciting than Mike and Mike doing their "two a days" - taking two teams each day and breaking them down. I am so bummed that I missed yesterday when they were going to break down the Lions and the Browns.

I do. And, Tony Kornheiser......Guys who talk about things that are interesting, whether it's the City Grill shootings, the PGA fiasco, etc. - not who the 5th receiver is going to be on this horrible Bills team.

I've had season tickets for 25 years now. I've gone to about 5 preseason games in all those years. This crap is soooo boring.

The majority of people on this board probably would not like the Tony K show. I do. He doesn't take calls and the best way to describe his show is banter about a variety of topics, the least of which have to do with sports. As the saying goes: To each their own.

That's fine, but then they're not allowed to call themselves a serious sports station, which they do.

The majority of people on this board probably would not like the Tony K show. I do. He doesn't take calls and the best way to describe his show is banter about a variety of topics, the least of which have to do with sports. As the saying goes: To each their own.

He doesn't take calls nor does he interview athletes. He knows they have nothing interesting to say.........He interviews smart, informed people who have opinions - John Feinstein, Bob Ryan, Wilbon, and then the non sporting ones like Abby Lowell, Ann Hornaday (movies), Lisa Demorales (TV)..........Yeah, I'd rather hear an interview with Terrance McGee telling us they're taking it one day at a time than them........It's funny when Tony says they're going to talk about sports, and Gary let's out a joking sigh.

That's fine, but then they're not allowed to call themselves a serious sports station, which they do.

Their promos usually make little sense and are contradictory, but they do have one now that says something like "because we know there's more to life than just sports"

They can call themselves whatever they want to. Who cares? There is a TV network which calls itself "Fair and Balanced". Are they? You make your own judgment. They (WGR) are what they are. They are what they want to be. They are what they have been for a very long time, so there should be few surprises when listeners tune in. If they don't suit your taste then don't tune in. I tune in for some of the audio vault segments. That is more than enough to satisfy me. I have little desire to go beyond that limitation.

He doesn't take calls nor does he interview athletes. He knows they have nothing interesting to say.........He interviews smart, informed people who have opinions - John Feinstein, Bob Ryan, Wilbon, and then the non sporting ones like Abby Lowell, Ann Hornaday (movies), Lisa Demorales (TV)..........Yeah, I'd rather hear an interview with Terrance McGee telling us they're taking it one day at a time than them........It's funny when Tony says they're going to talk about sports, and Gary let's out a joking sigh.

Whenever there is a major legal issue to be discussed Tony K brings on Abby Lowell. He is a brilliant attorney. He is tremendous at breaking down the legal issues of a complex case and in layman and understandable terms describe what the central issues are. He can describe both sides or the many sides of a legal issue so that you can make a decision for yourself.

John Feinstein and Tony K are longtime dear friends. Both of them have a tendency to jab at each other. Listening to them verbally spar at each other is entertaining. There have been a number of occasions where the jousting got to the point where the sparks were ready to be ignited. But you always got the sense that they genuinely liked each other, and enjoyed pushing each other's botton.

My point on most of the posts on this topic is that radio shows are specifically designed for certain audiences. If a listener is not comfortable with a format of a radio show that doesn't make it good or bad. Simply find another type of show in which is more satisfying.

They can call themselves whatever they want to. Who cares? There is a TV network which calls itself "Fair and Balanced". Are they? You make your own judgment. They (WGR) are what they are. They are what they want to be. They are what they have been for a very long time, so there should be few surprises when listeners tune in. If they don't suit your taste then don't tune in. I tune in for some of the audio vault segments. That is more than enough to satisfy me. I have little desire to go beyond that limitation.

Consumers care? Advertisers care? Listeners care? Everyone who is not trying to be a contrarian cares, frankly.

Yes -- there is a television station that calls themselves "Fair and Balanced" that is not really, and they receive a tremendous amount of criticism for that, just like WGR is receiving.

For all intents and purposes, it seems as though you're arguing just for the sake of arguing, and I can't believe you honestly think what your saying is even logical.

Consumers care? Advertisers care? Listeners care? Everyone who is not trying to be a contrarian cares, frankly.

Yes -- there is a television station that calls themselves "Fair and Balanced" that is not really, and they receive a tremendous amount of criticism for that, just like WGR is receiving.

For all intents and purposes, it seems as though you're arguing just for the sake of arguing, and I can't believe you honestly think what your saying is even logical.

I certainly do believe in what I am saying. And I am not arguing for the sake of arguing. If the consumers were so up in arms over WGR's format and radio personalities then why haven't they forced a change on both counts? If WGR is so widely condemned then why have they been able to continue doing what they have been doing? Why have they attracted sponsors?

My point is very simple. People have a variety of listening tastes. Radio stations and shows are marketed to certain segments of the market. If you don't like a particular radio station and its format and the personalities then listen to another station. No one station is going to appeal to a varied audience. Simply find a station of your liking and support it.

My position is very simple. Either tune in or tune out.

I certainly do believe in what I am saying. And I am not arguing for the sake of arguing. If the consumers were so up in arms over WGR's format and radio personalities then why haven't they forced a change on both counts? If WGR is so widely condemned then why have they been able to continue doing what they have been doing? Why have they attracted sponsors?

My point is very simple. People have a variety of listening tastes. Radio stations and shows are marketed to certain segments of the market. If you don't like a particular radio station and its format and the personalities then listen to another station. No one station is going to appeal to a varied audience. Simply find a station of your liking and support it.

My position is very simple. Either tune in or tune out.

Well, the problem is, John, that I have tuned out, but I don't really think you hold any sort of authority over whether or not I am allowed to have an opinion on the quality of the programming there. So I guess, in regards to posts criticizing WGR, I'd give you the same advice.

Whenever there is a major legal issue to be discussed Tony K brings on Abby Lowell. He is a brilliant attorney. He is tremendous at breaking down the legal issues of a complex case and in layman and understandable terms describe what the central issues are. He can describe both sides or the many sides of a legal issue so that you can make a decision for yourself.

John Feinstein and Tony K are longtime dear friends. Both of them have a tendency to jab at each other. Listening to them verbally spar at each other is entertaining. There have been a number of occasions where the jousting got to the point where the sparks were ready to be ignited. But you always got the sense that they genuinely liked each other, and enjoyed pushing each other's botton.

My point on most of the posts on this topic is that radio shows are specifically designed for certain audiences. If a listener is not comfortable with a format of a radio show that doesn't make it good or bad. Simply find another type of show in which is more satisfying.

The jousting between Mr. Tony and Junior is so great.......And, you're right - right on the edge of a full blowout many times.

BTW, I heard GR a little while ago and they were doing full on Bills talk..........Something that I'm more interested in - the big picture of what the Bills plan is. Not figuring out who the 5th receiver will be.

I can give WGR credit this morning at least the topic is the Bills game. In listening Howard states proudly he only watches the 1st half (this from the same guy who watches preseason hockey games that dont include sabres).

Whether the Bills played well or not....if you are going to speak to WNY for 4 hours on Monday - isnt it your job to at least watch the game you will be talking about??????

Sometimes he catches portions of games at the mall when shopping with his wife.

Seriously.

He has said that.

Sometimes he catches portions of games at the mall when shopping with his wife.

Seriously.

He has said that.

I think I heard him say something like that or similar about a regular season game, didn't he?

Well, the problem is, John, that I have tuned out, but I don't really think you hold any sort of authority over whether or not I am allowed to have an opinion on the quality of the programming there. So I guess, in regards to posts criticizing WGR, I'd give you the same advice.

I never claimed to hold any sort of authority over anything. Your opinion is your opinion; my opinion is my opinion. They differ. If you don't listen to WGR then why are you so energized over this issue. As I stated before if you don't like the programming then don't listen.

Hey bbb-check out Bob McCowan 3-7 weekdays on Fan590.http://www.fan590.com/

Thanks - just googled him and he sounds pretty interesting........It seems like it would be a lot of hockey and Toronto talk, which I don't think I'd be that interested in.

I never claimed to hold any sort of authority over anything. Your opinion is your opinion; my opinion is my opinion. They differ. If you don't listen to WGR then why are you so energized over this issue. As I stated before if you don't like the programming then don't listen.

I'm not "energized" over the issue. This is what I mean when I say that your tone is accusatory. I'm simply replying to a thread on this forum in the same way that you are. It requires no more or less energy to be critical of something than it does to be dismissive of any criticism.