OT: BBQ Sauces

I am a big fan of Cooks Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen. Well this weekend they tested barbeque sauces. They stated they always make their own at home, and they did a blind taste test of store bought sauces on the show. And year after year Bull's Eye barbeque sauce wins overwhelmingly. The audience tests it too, and they near unanimously selected Bulls Eye. And on the show they made a BBQ sauce using Bull's Eye as a starter. The other brands did not fair well in testing. Comments were along the lines of "I taste corn syrup" "too sweet". The tasters loved the smokiness of Bulls Eye

I am a big fan of Cooks Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen. Well this weekend they tested barbeque sauces. They stated they always make their own at home, and they did a blind taste test of store bought sauces on the show. And year after year Bull's Eye barbeque sauce wins overwhelmingly. The audience tests it too, and they near unanimously selected Bulls Eye. And on the show they made a BBQ sauce using Bull's Eye as a starter. The other brands did not fair well in testing. Comments were along the lines of "I taste corn syrup" "too sweet". The tasters loved the smokiness of Bulls Eye

And everyone laughed when I said "Aisle 5 in the grocery store"

And everyone laughed when I said "Aisle 5 in the grocery store"

I still do. Liquid smoke works very nice in a home made barbeque sauce. And my home made barbeque sauce blows away Bulls Eye. There is no comparison

i usually do the same, but i try to incorporate raspberry preserves and chipotles whenever possible

I always make my own bbq sauce. In a pinch I use simmered ketchup as a base- and use whatever else I feel like- molasses, cayenne, onions, garlic, mustard, smoke, chilis, oranges, cumin, thyme, savory, brown sugar, paprika, bourbon, epazote, agave nectar, cider vinegar, tomatos, lemons, sriracha, curry paste, etc -you get the idea.

Fresh BBQ sauce is infinitely better then any crap you buy in the supermarket