Here's my Training Camp Report from Saturday 8/7/10

After seeing both Steve Johnson and Chris Ellis in camp, I'm more pissed than ever at Jauron. It's so obvious now that he doesn't like using his young guys. At least Gailey gives the young guys a chance. I can honestly see at least 5 young guys have big roles this year.

Steve Johnson

Alex Carrington

Chris Ellis

Torell Troup

CJ Spiller

Marcus Easley

:P:lol:

Jauron always favored the veterans and never played the better player. It took injuries for Fred Jackson, Jabari Greer & Jairus Byrd to get their chances as starters.

I agree with your assessment of Johnson, Carrington, Ellis, Troup, Spiller & Easley. I had a lot optimism going into the season and with that kind of talent on the team, I can see the Bills fighting for a wild card spot come towards the end of the season.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blitzing doesn't always equal sacks. Far from it. You remember what Marv used to say, "Thanks for blitzing." For blitzes to work, a lot of things have to fall into place. You have to have physically talented guys, guys with a lot of explosion. We haven't got one proven guy now that Schobel is gone. You have to be able to prevent them from going to their blitz hot routes and we have new guys in the positions that will be responsible for hammering them when they run slants and through the middle.

A lot of things have to come together, and those things usually don't come together for a year or two in a new defensive system. If you have the athletes to compensate (aka Mathews when Green Bay switched to a 3 - 4), you can get away with it. Have we got the athlete? Well, Maybin could prove he's the guy. I'd love to see that, but he hasn't looked great in camp, just decent. I don't think we've got a real athlete there who can do that.

Blitzing can also allow big plays, it doesn't automatically get sacks. If it did, everyone would do it all the time.

I could definitely see Ellis as the starter, but I have a different reaction than you. I just look at who he beat out. Never played-LB-in-his-life Chris Kelsay. Rookies Batten and Coleman? Just not big enough Keith Ellison? Manalac? Mitchell's an ILB, as is Andra Davis, right? If Mitchell's an OLB, will he play passing downs? Running downs? Bryan Scott, or will he be a safety? Donovan Woods?

Except for Kawika, who might not be competing for the same spot, I don't see a lot of tough competition there. Well, we'll see. It'll be interesting.

Thanks for the report, though. Interesting stuff.

Don't forget about Aaron Maybin and Reggie Torbor too. They are also competing for an OLB spot. I see Torbor and Ellis as the starters with Maybin and Coleman as the backups.

Hey Mike,

First and foremost, thanks so much for the training camp reports. Far more detail than we get from the mainstream papers!

I'd like to focus on the lines if I could.

1) How was Bell, and how was Wood? From what I've read, Wood's been getting a good amount of rest.

2) Is anyone aside from Troup and Williams playing NT? How's that kid Harvey?

Again, many thanks.

Harvey has done okay, but the backup Defense is usually the line that struggles the most with the run. I'm fine with Williams and Troup...not sure what else is behind them.

Two back formations and BEASTMODE running hard?

Oh my, I really hope this is true. :P

Me too. The two back formations are fun to watch and if the old Lynch is back, watch out!

How often are they using a FB in those formations?

Or is it mostly Jackson/Lynch?

And if its Jackson/Lynch, are they blocking for each other, or are they doing misdirection sorts of plays?

They mix it up, but I've seen them use Jackson/Lynch a bunch of times, where they are both in the backfield, then one of them goes wide. They've already done that with Spiller/Lynch too.