In Case you were wondering why we drafted Spiller 9th

Bill what about their offensive lines?

the ravens had ogden, and not much else to speak of name wise

the bucs had a good line, including one cornell green, but they def had more names on that line.

Both those teams won with defense more than anything else, the ravens utilized a POWER RUNNING GAME, to key their offense and open up the downfield passing game. the bucs had been built by dungy, defense was their game, gruden helped with his offense.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the ravens had ogden, and not much else to speak of name wise

the bucs had a good line, including one cornell green, but they def had more names on that line.

Both those teams won with defense more than anything else, the ravens utilized a POWER RUNNING GAME, to key their offense and open up the downfield passing game. the bucs had been built by dungy, defense was their game, gruden helped with his offense.

The game was won in the trenches with solid lines on both sides. Something the Bills appear to be weak in.

The game was won in the trenches with solid lines on both sides. Something the Bills appear to be weak in.

our DL and interior OL are just fine, you'll see that throughout the course of the season.

keep in mind that we either acquired 3 players that are veterans in the 3-4 defense then drafted 4 more players fit to the 3-4, defensively our line is set.

bucs won in 2002 boss, and brad johnson was never mistaken as a franchise qb, neither was dilfer for that matter.

as for MPL: the ravens had ogden, and no other names to speak of, the bucs had a decent line INCLUDING CORNELL GREEN.

My mistake on the year -- that's what I get for trying to do this on the fly:)

Still, beg to differ about Dilfer and Johnson. Dilfer was a probowl QB (in 97). Is he a HOF'er. No. Was he a franchise QB for Tampa? Yes. Especially in 97 and 98.

And Johnson threw for close to 30,000 yards in his career with 166 TDs, was a two time pro bowler and has a ring. So again, you're just wrong. Johnson was indeed a franchise QB. And a very good one.

our DL and interior OL are just fine, you'll see that throughout the course of the season.

keep in mind that we either acquired 3 players that are veterans in the 3-4 defense then drafted 4 more players fit to the 3-4, defensively our line is set.

Bill your entitled to your opinion. I don't share your optimism regarding our line. I have a difficult time understanding how you can think that. But, hey maybe you are right.

Um .. except all three starters are playing positions that they've never played at the NFL level before. Some would argue they're playing positions they're not physically suited for.

That's not set. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

...In the past decade no team has won the Super Bowl without a Franchise QB. None...

While that's debateable, your larger point is spot on: that is QB is and always will be the most important position to fill. There is no doubt about that. Let's look at Polian's suggested order of importance for building a team from scratch:

1.) QB - because it's the most important position

2.) DE - to put pressure on the other teams' most important position

3.) LT - to protect your own most important position

4.) RB - to take pressure off your most important position

5.) WR - to provide a reliable 1st option for when your most important position needs to pass

To my knowledge Polian has not changed his school of thought on this order of positional importance.

But here's the big thing NOT being looked at by many around here: it's NOT a linear process. If your franchise QB is there and you don't have one, take him. If he isn't but the DE is then take him. If neither the QB or DE is there and the LT is then you take him. And so on.

In this past draft there were no bluechip QBs, DEs, or LTs to be had when our turn came up at #9. There was however the best offensive playmaker in the draft and by far highest rated RB. Spiller IS that rare bluechip RB that a team needs based on his college exploits. It was a simple decision to make. There were no other players remotely close to his talent level at ANY position when we chose him.

Do we STILL need a pass rushing DE? Yep. A dominant LT? No doubt. But we can rest easy, if his college career is any indication, that we've solved the need for a playmaking game-changer at RB. He will take pressure off our QB. He will make it easier for our Oline simply because they won't have to hold blocks as long. And with the new zone-blocking schemes being implemented, that's so much the better.

Spiller won't get us to the SB. I don't suspect we have a franchise QB on the roster yet. We need to get those other positions of critical need filled. We'll need additional drafts to get the job done.

GO BILLS!!!

My mistake on the year -- that's what I get for trying to do this on the fly:)

Still, beg to differ about Dilfer and Johnson. Dilfer was a probowl QB (in 97). Is he a HOF'er. No. Was he a franchise QB for Tampa? Yes. Especially in 97 and 98.

And Johnson threw for close to 30,000 yards in his career with 166 TDs, was a two time pro bowler and has a ring. So again, you're just wrong. Johnson was indeed a franchise QB. And a very good one.

Nice stats on johnson, and his 122 ints, question, for what team did johnson spend the most time? answer the minnesota vikings---as a backup. He was never considered a franchise level player, while he did have a very nice career, i challenge you to find any reputable source that claims brad johnson was ever a franchise player.

in terms of the DL, dwan edwards has indeed played DE before, troup should be a great fir at NT and while stroud may be ill fitted for DE, carrington is a prototype 3-4 DE.

While that's debateable, your larger point is spot on: that is QB is and always will be the most important position to fill. There is no doubt about that. Let's look at Polian's suggested order of importance for building a team from scratch:

5.) WR - to provide a reliable 1st option for when your most important position needs to pass

To my knowledge Polian has not changed his school of thought on this order of positional importance.

But here's the big thing NOT being looked at by many around here: it's NOT a linear process. If your franchise QB is there and you don't have one, take him. If he isn't but the DE is then take him. If neither the QB or DE is there and the LT is then you take him. And so on.

In this past draft there were no bluechip QBs, DEs, or LTs to be had when our turn came up at #9. There was however the best offensive playmaker in the draft and by far highest rated RB. Spiller IS that rare bluechip RB that a team needs based on his college exploits. It was a simple decision to make. There were no other players remotely close to his talent level at ANY position when we chose him.

Do we STILL need a pass rushing DE? Yep. A dominant LT? No doubt. But we can rest easy, if his college career is any indication, that we've solved the need for a playmaking game-changer at RB. He will take pressure off our QB. He will make it easier for our Oline simply because they won't have to hold blocks as long. And with the new zone-blocking schemes being implemented, that's so much the better.

Spiller won't get us to the SB. I don't suspect we have a franchise QB on the roster yet. We need to get those other positions of critical need filled. We'll need additional drafts to get the job done.

GO BILLS!!!

Excellent post. According to the information you have provided we still need IMO, (1) QB (2) DE (3) LT and (5) WR. How are we ever going to fill all those needs in one or two drafts? I am not hopeful that any of our guys on our current roster we fill any of the above mentioned positions needed to build a winning franchise.

Another question is some experts had Spiller rated as the top 3 rated players in the whole draft. 8 teams passed on him because of need and we didn't. We didn't need another running back. With so many other needs we could have taken or even traded up to get the LT tackle we wanted? or traded back?

Plus, many our talking like Spiller already has ran for 1500 yards, caught 5 td passes, and has run back 3 kick returns. The guy has not done anything as a pro yet. I am not ready to pronounce this guy as a pro bowler RB. There is a possibility that this guy doesn't live up to his "hype" as pro. I think Reggie Bush fits into this category.

Spiller might do a lot of things, but he isn't going to make the offensive line better. A good blocking tight end might make the line better (or accomodate for a bad offensive line.) A good blocking fullback can do the same. Spiller may be good, or he may be bad, but he ain't gonna help us on the O-line. I have an idea...why don't we get some LINEMEN to help the offensive line?

Now you're just talking crazy.

LOL

Now you're just talking crazy.

LOL

i know..nix and gailey have forgotten more football than vince lombardi, lou saban and Bill Belichik combined....come to think of it we might be better off if they actually remember a little bit...Like IT ALL STARTS IN THE TRENCHES

Excellent post. According to the information you have provided we still need IMO, (1) QB (2) DE (3) LT and (5) WR. How are we ever going to fill all those needs in one or two drafts? I am not hopeful that any of our guys on our current roster we fill any of the above mentioned positions needed to build a winning franchise.

Another question is some experts had Spiller rated as the top 3 rated players in the whole draft. 8 teams passed on him because of need and we didn't. We didn't need another running back. With so many other needs we could have taken or even traded up to get the LT tackle we wanted? or traded back?

Plus, many our talking like Spiller already has ran for 1500 yards, caught 5 td passes, and has run back 3 kick returns. The guy has not done anything as a pro yet. I am not ready to pronounce this guy as a pro bowler RB. There is a possibility that this guy doesn't live up to his "hype" as pro. I think Reggie Bush fits into this category.

Until we acquire better players across the board, especially at the critical need postions, we will have to rely on scheme and execution, read: coaching, to compensate. It could also be argued that Evans already meets the #1 receiver need, but until I see an adequate QB pitcing to him, he's harder to qauntify.

As to your assertion that "some" experts had Spiller rated in the top 3, I'd like to see who they are. The consensus top 5 were Suh, McCoy, Bradford, Berry, and Williams. Okung was also in the mix. So even IF those teams drafted for need, they STILL got BPA according to most player rankings.

So that covers the first 6 picks. I think that the Browns taking Haden and the Raiders taking McClain were the only two "need" picks. Lets see how they pan out. I contend that history will show that players selected for need tend to be reaches while taking BPA usually results in adding good players that contibute over time.

If people are already asserting that Spiller has run for 1500 yards, etc. they're reaching. We won't know until we know. But there is NO denying that he was far and away the best player available, possesses a combination of athletic gifts we haven't seen since OJ, and his college production can't be questioned.

All picks are a crapshoot until proven otherwise as I've stated numerous times. Just as we should refrain from proclaiming Spiller as the 2nd Coming, we should also refrain from being too critical of the pick until he proves unworthy.

GO BILLS!!!

Um .. except all three starters are playing positions that they've never played at the NFL level before. Some would argue they're playing positions they're not physically suited for.

That's not set. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

And of course, the truth of the matter would never reside in the middle ground, or that the response misses the point.

I believe CB is talking about Andra Davis, Dwan Edwards, and/or Reggie Torbor and/or possibly the new LB, Woods, all who have extensive 3-4 experience.

I believe TGregg is talking about Stroud, Spencer Johnson, Kyle Williams, etc.

And of course, the truth of the matter would never reside in the middle ground, or that the response misses the point.

I believe CB is talking about Andra Davis, Dwan Edwards, and/or Reggie Torbor and/or possibly the new LB, Woods, all who have extensive 3-4 experience.

I believe TGregg is talking about Stroud, Spencer Johnson, Kyle Williams, etc.

We'll see what we have after we squish the fish.

We'll see what we have after we squish the fish.

I am really excited about opening day. I think we have a very good chance of winning on opening day. The crowd, the atmosphere, the players pumped up, new thinking, attitude, and belief, etc...

That's coming from one pessimistic SOB.

GO BILLS!!!

There shouldn't be anything else left to say about this subject. You laid it all out.

Then why aren't the Bills following this "master plan."

Do you not comprehend the English language?

He said in his post, if there is no franchise QB, DE, or LT when it is your turn to draft, take a play-making RB. Exactly what this staff (in it's first year together) did.

The Bills must have felt there were no QB, DE, or LT prospects worth spending the ninth pick on.