Brohm interview from BuffNews - good backstory

bfw1234

As Doc asked, on what are you basing your opinion of Brohm? He's played next to no regular season games. So how can you make such definitive statements?

I'm basing it on the fact that no QB drafted as high as Brohm has ever been waived without ever playing like he was, cleared waivers, and then was brought in by another team and did anything in the NFL. Players drafted as highly as Brohm who get waived so soon & don't get immediately picked up are so flawed that there is a reason that no team even put in a waiver claim on him. Teams have waived undrafted & late round QBs at the same stages of their careers & teams have put waiver claims in on them. The Packers are not a poorly run stupid team-they saw nothing in him last September that they wanted to keep-they preferred the 53rd man over him. 31 other GMs yawned when Brohm went on waivers. You're talking about guys like Polian & Newsome among other top executives. They all have pro scouts & the college scouting reports and keep tabs on all players with as high a profile as Brohm had-they unanimously said NO to getting Brohm for free. The professionals have a lot more data on these players than you, I, or any other Bills fan on this board. Also-don't throw that GB wanted to match the Bills contract crap that the Brohm ball boys love to say. The only reason they tried to match was because it was November & he knew the system-nothing more than trying to keep a cheap insurance policy. If they were as interested in him as the ball boys say, they would have tried to keep him by exceeding the Bills offer-they didn't.

There are a lot of QBs who have played next to no regular season games-why not bring every QB who gets cut in here-you could claim the same thing about him as you are Brohm. Years ago Bills fans loved Gary Marangi for the same reason. Once Marangi played, he was out of the league.

No matter how you spin it, Brohm was dreadful in his one start, one & done for me. Just because you don't like what you see in Edwards & Fitzpatrick, it doesn't make Brohm any better. He's a bust & he'll always be one-he would be happy to match Jeff's career.

I really want to see this guy get his shot. We know Edwards sucks, Fitz is nothing more than a servicable #2, it is Brohms turn.

I really think he was stupid and let his ego get bruised in Green Bay and it hurt him. I think he has learned from that. He did better in HS or College than either of the other two, was more highly regarded coming out of College and drafted higher for a reason.

Its time the kid gets a shot, because if he isn't the guy for us, its time to draft a guy next year.

DARTH, I have to agree it's Brohm's chance because the other guy suck ass. My fear is Brohm's going to suck because he sucked before. Lets find out for sure.

My guess is we will be looking for a new QB in next years draft just like we thought in our last draft.....Scary huh?

I'm basing it on the fact that no QB drafted as high as Brohm has ever been waived without ever playing like he was, cleared waivers, and then was brought in by another team and did anything in the NFL. Players drafted as highly as Brohm who get waived so soon & don't get immediately picked up are so flawed that there is a reason that no team even put in a waiver claim on him. Teams have waived undrafted & late round QBs at the same stages of their careers & teams have put waiver claims in on them. The Packers are not a poorly run stupid team-they saw nothing in him last September that they wanted to keep-they preferred the 53rd man over him. 31 other GMs yawned when Brohm went on waivers. You're talking about guys like Polian & Newsome among other top executives. They all have pro scouts & the college scouting reports and keep tabs on all players with as high a profile as Brohm had-they unanimously said NO to getting Brohm for free. The professionals have a lot more data on these players than you, I, or any other Bills fan on this board. Also-don't throw that GB wanted to match the Bills contract crap that the Brohm ball boys love to say. The only reason they tried to match was because it was November & he knew the system-nothing more than trying to keep a cheap insurance policy. If they were as interested in him as the ball boys say, they would have tried to keep him by exceeding the Bills offer-they didn't.

There are a lot of QBs who have played next to no regular season games-why not bring every QB who gets cut in here-you could claim the same thing about him as you are Brohm. Years ago Bills fans loved Gary Marangi for the same reason. Once Marangi played, he was out of the league.

No matter how you spin it, Brohm was dreadful in his one start, one & done for me. Just because you don't like what you see in Edwards & Fitzpatrick, it doesn't make Brohm any better. He's a bust & he'll always be one-he would be happy to match Jeff's career.

And REALITY is your buddy Edwards is one of the worst QB's to EVER put on a Bills uni. He isnt' an NFL starting QB and the ONLY reason he ever started an NFL game is because he was exactly what Dick Jauron wanted in a QB. That right there should tell you all you ever need to know about the guy.

:ph34r:

You made some respectable points in this post..until the last paragraph. Brohm played one game for us last year, under Dick Jauron's expert tutelage, with a depleted offensive line and without much time to learn the playbook. If that confirms to you that "he's a bust and will always be one," what does that say about the guy whom you claim in an earlier post to be our only chance of making the playoffs? Edwards has been given almost THREE FULL SEASONS here to develop into something more than an injury-prone master of the checkdown and of the 3-and-out?

The way I see it, Brohm is a high football-IQ guy with the requisite physical skills to be a capable starting NFL QB. For whatever reason, he has lost confidence in himself. I don't know if he'll ever regain it. Same can be said for Edwards, I suppose. Maybe this team needs to add a QB psychologist to the coaching staff.

You made some respectable points in this post..until the last paragraph. Brohm played one game for us last year, under Dick Jauron's expert tutelage, with a depleted offensive line and without much time to learn the playbook. If that confirms to you that "he's a bust and will always be one," what does that say about the guy whom you claim in an earlier post to be our only chance of making the playoffs? Edwards has been given almost THREE FULL SEASONS here to develop into something more than an injury-prone master of the checkdown and of the 3-and-out?

The way I see it, Brohm is a high football-IQ guy with the requisite physical skills to be a capable starting NFL QB. For whatever reason, he has lost confidence in himself. I don't know if he'll ever regain it. Same can be said for Edwards, I suppose. Maybe this team needs to add a QB psychologist to the coaching staff.

Jauron wasn't here. Brohm was signed after Jauron was fired.

that is all that really needs to be said. Nearly 3 full seasons and he hasn't shown anything. time to get him off the roster and move on.

Your scouting ability is astounding. Brohm got one start and was dreadful (17 for 29; 146yds; 0 TD; 2 INT; 2 Sacks). Trent in his last start was pretty dreadful as well (18 for 28); 185yds; 1 TD; 1 INT; 2 Sacks). The primary difference? That was Brohm's first game in the NFL, while that was Trent's 30th (more or less) game in the NFL. Furthermore, that's pretty much Trent's career average. So, it's not like I've cherry-picked Trent's one bad game.

So what kind of rejuvination are you expecting? He's never been a 300yard/game passer. He's never been a 3-4 touchdown per game passer. He's never been a strong leader that could put the team on his shoulders. He's is what he's been - average. So, you're really hopinig we have an average QB?

I've given Trent 3 years to perform and in the last 3 years, I've never seen him take the field with a look of confidence. I've never seen the team rally around him - actually quite the contrary. It seems the team rally's around any QB but Trent. I'd be willing to give him more benefit of the doubt if he'd been pulled in and out of the lineup; but he hasn't. He's been the unquestioned starter for nearly 3 years. And he's done nothing with it. I'm sorry, but it's time to move on.

Brohm may very well be a bust. However, with 1 game's worth of footage on him; I'd say that book is far from being closed. I have no reason why other teams passed on him; don't really care. But, he's here and has a chance to finally deliver consistent play from the QB position for our team.

Jauron wasn't here. Brohm was signed after Jauron was fired.

Wow. So that's your response? The offense was so much more improved and different under the defensive coordinator, Fewell, that Brohm had no excuse for sucking in that Atlanta game?

Your pathologically strong anti-Brohm opinion is now starting to creep me out. Can we at least give him - say - the preseason to confirm that he doesn't possess the talent and confidence to start in the NFL? Brohm has had all of 2 Green Bay preseasons and 1 regular season Buffalo start to prove himself. Lots of great NFL QB's have started their careers out worse than Brohm has done with more time to showcase their skills than that (and by comparison, Trent is now up to 3 preseasons and 32 regular season starts).

here's one big difference between Trent and Brohm that i haven't heard mentioned yet. both of them SEEM to have had problems with confidence at times. however, with Trent it's more the fact that he has been SHELLSHOCKED from having his Stanford head cracked open more than once. the boy has PTSD and brain damage by now for chrissake. if he can play at all anymore, it's a credit to him, i tellya.

now, when Brohm says "i dunno, maybe i uh... lost like, confidence, or something.. yeh, thatsit", he's LYING ! THINK- you were this highly touted..whatever, and now you're doomed to second-string nuthin' status forever in GB. u wanna stay there ??? hell, you'll do anything u can to get out. demanding a trade won't work, you won't have a chance to become trade bait. so, go for the last resort- TANK it. yup, play like crap, and get yourself cut, and do it NOW. stuck on the practice squad? NP- wait til some team gets desperate- THERE's your big chance.

you think he's gonna admit that? he'd hafta be crazy. it's soooo easy to pretend to have struggled, and then suddenly "found yourself" in new surroundings. no one would question it. now that doesn't mean Brohm is ready to play tomorrow, ok? this QB job has a lot to it. ask any player that was a BUST going into his fourth year like, oh... that BREES fella who went 2 and 9 in his third year starts.

there's hope for borth of them, and we won't know for sure until we get in a decent staff that can use them, and then play a season after that. ooh wait, we may be on the brink of that NOW! just chill out for the preseason, and then gitcher seatbelts on. if we bomb, like everyone sez- '11's a great year for passers.

~AS

And REALITY is your buddy Edwards is one of the worst QB's to EVER put on a Bills uni. He isnt' an NFL starting QB and the ONLY reason he ever started an NFL game is because he was exactly what Dick Jauron wanted in a QB. That right there should tell you all you ever need to know about the guy.

ICE, while your beating the same old drum yet again, as far as Edwards being on the worst QB's in Buffalo's history you might wish to research that comment a bit more before stating it as a matter of fact. It's not.

Here's a list of QB's far worse:

Johnny Green

MC Reynolds

Warren Rabb

Dan Darragh

Dennis Shaw

Matt Kofler

Gary Marangi

Bruce Mathison

Joe Dufek

.....and I'm sure some will have a few more to add.

here's one big difference between Trent and Brohm that i haven't heard mentioned yet. both of them SEEM to have had problems with confidence at times. however, with Trent it's more the fact that he has been SHELLSHOCKED from having his Stanford head cracked open more than once. the boy has PTSD and brain damage by now for chrissake. if he can play at all anymore, it's a credit to him, i tellya.

now, when Brohm says "i dunno, maybe i uh... lost like, confidence, or something.. yeh, thatsit", he's LYING ! THINK- you were this highly touted..whatever, and now you're doomed to second-string nuthin' status forever in GB. u wanna stay there ??? hell, you'll do anything u can to get out. demanding a trade won't work, you won't have a chance to become trade bait. so, go for the last resort- TANK it. yup, play like crap, and get yourself cut, and do it NOW. stuck on the practice squad? NP- wait til some team gets desperate- THERE's your big chance.

you think he's gonna admit that? he'd hafta be crazy. it's soooo easy to pretend to have struggled, and then suddenly "found yourself" in new surroundings. no one would question it. now that doesn't mean Brohm is ready to play tomorrow, ok? this QB job has a lot to it. ask any player that was a BUST going into his fourth year like, oh... that BREES fella who went 2 and 9 in his third year starts.

there's hope for borth of them, and we won't know for sure until we get in a decent staff that can use them, and then play a season after that. ooh wait, we may be on the brink of that NOW! just chill out for the preseason, and then gitcher seatbelts on. if we bomb, like everyone sez- '11's a great year for passers.

~AS

Of all the Brohm excuses, this one has to be the dumbest. Unless he's mentally ill, no QB would tank it & try to get himself cut in order to get on a practice squad & bide his time until the Bills could rescue him & he can become a star. Here's how a normal player handles the situation: he works his butt off, plays lights out in preseason whenever he gets the shot, gets traded to a team "desperate" enough to trade for him & signs a big $ contract. Thats what Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck & even Rob Johnson did. Even Charlie Whitehurst got a good amount of $ after being traded from SD to Seattle.

What you're saying is Brohm is so crazy that he immediately, as an unproven rookie, decided to tank his career and lose millions of dollars just because he didn't like the situation in GB. That's ridiculous.

Now I may think Brohm has no talent to ever be a good starting QB in the NFL, but I do not think he is crazy. Your scenario is one of someone who is crazy.

Your scouting ability is astounding. Brohm got one start and was dreadful (17 for 29; 146yds; 0 TD; 2 INT; 2 Sacks). Trent in his last start was pretty dreadful as well (18 for 28); 185yds; 1 TD; 1 INT; 2 Sacks). The primary difference? That was Brohm's first game in the NFL, while that was Trent's 30th (more or less) game in the NFL. Furthermore, that's pretty much Trent's career average. So, it's not like I've cherry-picked Trent's one bad game.

So what kind of rejuvination are you expecting? He's never been a 300yard/game passer. He's never been a 3-4 touchdown per game passer. He's never been a strong leader that could put the team on his shoulders. He's is what he's been - average. So, you're really hopinig we have an average QB?

I've given Trent 3 years to perform and in the last 3 years, I've never seen him take the field with a look of confidence. I've never seen the team rally around him - actually quite the contrary. It seems the team rally's around any QB but Trent. I'd be willing to give him more benefit of the doubt if he'd been pulled in and out of the lineup; but he hasn't. He's been the unquestioned starter for nearly 3 years. And he's done nothing with it. I'm sorry, but it's time to move on.

Brohm may very well be a bust. However, with 1 game's worth of footage on him; I'd say that book is far from being closed. I have no reason why other teams passed on him; don't really care. But, he's here and has a chance to finally deliver consistent play from the QB position for our team.

Very good post and I agree with your assessment of Trent. With that said, that's why the Bills should have gotten Jason Campbell or drafted Clausen.