Pillars of the Earth

John Adams

wish I had starz; loved pillars and the sequel--real page turners, even though the writing was hokey.

Follett is not known for Shakespearean prose but when he wrote this, he hit on something special. The topic combined with the intrigue made for a good story. The miniseries episode 1 was quite good--2 hours setting up the characters and their intentions. Several standout actors in the mix.

I read the book so long ago that I can't comment on the miniseries faithfulness to the plot. All the major plot points are present though. Building the cathedral. The local intrigue behind that. The throne succession and its role in the cathedral. Church jealousies. Dark age struggles.

I had no idea there was a sequel until you mentioned it.

wish I had starz; loved pillars and the sequel--real page turners, even though the writing was hokey.

I have never heard of this book, but you can watch the first two episodes on the 101 network on Directv, channel 239. Saw it when i went to record the Wire.Guess it is kinda like a commercial trying to get folks to buy STARZ

I wanted to like the book but found it unreadable. I'm not a history Nazi but I stopped after slogging through five anachronisms per page. Cardboard characters written like "Must See TV" show. Hopefully Starz can improve it.

Another disappointment: Bernard Cornwell's "Agincourt" - made it through but his characters were awful.

See McCullough's "First Man in Rome" for good historical fiction.

Any other recommendations?