POTD - 7/19

bartshan-83

So what happened on Friday? I finally got you?? Only links gave it any sort of a shot. Disappointing. So I'm posting it again to give you a shot at redemption...

TODAY:

1. Try Again

2. Two-thirds of the people at a concert are wearing hats. Of those who don't wear hats, three-fifths wear T-shirts. If the number of people at the concert without a hat or t-shirt is 200, how many people attended the concert?

So what happened on Friday? I finally got you?? Only links gave it any sort of a shot. Disappointing. So I'm posting it again to give you a shot at redemption...

TODAY:

1. Try Again

2. Two-thirds of the people at a concert are wearing hats. Of those who don't wear hats, three-fifths wear T-shirts. If the number of people at the concert without a hat or t-shirt is 200, how many people attended the concert?

I tried 1 on Friday, didn't get any farther than guesses for the words. No clue how to put them in that box.

But 2, I believe is:

1500*(1/3)=500 (people without hats)

500*(2/5)=200

I tried 1 on Friday, didn't get any farther than guesses for the words. No clue how to put them in that box.

But 2, I believe is:

1500*(1/3)=500 (people without hats)

500*(2/5)=200

or:

(1-3/5)*(1 - 2/3)x = 200 (the fraction of people without hats and (multiply) people without t shirts whom attended the concert (x) was 200)

(2/5)(1/3)x=200

2/15x=200

x=200*(15/2)

x=3000/2

x=1500

I'm right at the same number as the rest of you, with the slightly different approach (not all that different, but one extra step to spell it out a bit more).

x=# people without hats

Two fifths of the people without hats are also without t-shirt, so:

200=(2/5)x

x=500 people without hats

That's one third of the people at the concert, so there are 1,500 people total

I'm right at the same number as the rest of you, with the slightly different approach (not all that different, but one extra step to spell it out a bit more).

x=# people without hats

Two fifths of the people without hats are also without t-shirt, so:

200=(2/5)x

x=500 people without hats

That's one third of the people at the concert, so there are 1,500 people total

thats exactly how i did it as well

(unless it's a nickelback concert and all that white trash aint wearin no shirts or shoes :blink: )

I just noticed they have a show coming up Nashville in September. What's that, like a 4 hour drive for you? Definitely worth it for the chance to see living rock and roll legends in their prime. :devil: