If you could be a HC at any level

Pilsner

Let's say you were just hired as the first coach of a team (cause the owner of the team just could not pass up on your infinite football wisdom) and were starting from scratch. On the HS, college or NFL level. Doesn't matter. Just general concepts here. The owner, athletic director or principal gave you full reign on your coaching duties as well.

Which positions would be your first priorities? Where would you start to build? How would you build your team with your own vision? I realize in HS you are some what limited to who is available. But in College and the NFL you have more leeway with recruiting and drafting/signing FA's.

Just curious how you all would begin the building process of a true and lasting contender. A team that you would want built for the ages. A team built in your own mind's image.

I would start from the lines and move outwards. I'm sure you all have your own differing opinions. Although in Madden i've started the exact opposite way and been very successful. But in RL i'de put my money on the lines first and move from there.

Also I would hire offensive and defensive coordinators who have shown a good tendency for adapting and improvising to any unexpected situations.

How would you all begin to build your monster team from scratch?

Go Bills!!

Getting a good cheerleading squad is an added bonus.

For the NFL, I would build a wildcat-option-wing-T sort of team with two quarterback/running backs on the field and put all my money in the offensive line. Player versatility would be the key. The fullback would be the most important player on my team. Jason Peters would have been my fullback.

Imagine just exactly how suckie it would be to defend the endless amount of gadget plays, traps, options, misdirections, counters, and general smashmouthery of this approach.

On defense, I would go for smart veterans and play them in exotic schemes. I guess that makes me part of the Bill Belichek school. Depth would be the key here. I want to be able to have big linebackers for running downs, small ones for passing downs, etc, etc.

Player development would be the difference in my franchise. I would attempt to select guys with potential and sign them to long contracts. My franchise would be known for making players. I think the Steelers do a good job of this.

Same way as I'd build a baseball team ...... from the middle out.

Center, Guards, Tackles, DTs, DEs, WRs, QB, LBs, RBs, DBs.

All the skill players in the world won't amount to a hill of beans if you don't have those big ugly guys up front.

I like the NFL, but I like NCAA football more. I'd say 90% of the kids play the sport at that level out of love for the game. Most of them know that they aren't going to the NFL and they have 4 years to do something special. You also don't have to deal with the egos that money brings to the table (unless you're the coach @ USC :thumbsup: ) Either way, the college game is where I would love to coach. You could impact many more lives on and off the field IMO.

I'd be focused on finding studs for the defensive front 7 and a solid QB. Next I'd focus on the two tackle spots and the center, then the RB, then a #1 CB and SS, then the TE and WRs, and lastly the FS. Defense wins championships, baby.

Oh, and fug the kicker.

I like the NFL, but I like NCAA football more. I'd say 90% of the kids play the sport at that level out of love for the game. Most of them know that they aren't going to the NFL and they have 4 years to do something special. You also don't have to deal with the egos that money brings to the table (unless you're the coach @ USC :thumbsup: ) Either way, the college game is where I would love to coach. You could impact many more lives on and off the field IMO.

Right there with you on that one.