ESPN Ultimate NFL rankings

It would be more fun if they ranked the Bills at 32. But 31 is good enough. No sense in getting outraged about it, and the pleasure of them doing better than expected once the season starts will be that much greater.

When the team wins some games, then the analysts can act surprised and the conventional wisdom will change.

If they end up 31st in the league at the end of the season (which I do not think they will), well, we ought to be used to failure by now.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should be in the 20-24 range as it stands right now. This team has some very skilled players at the running back and secondary positions.

Coaching will be the key. If this team can win 6 games with Juaron's coaching staff if we get any improvement for the Offense we can win at least 8 games.

I think they should be in the 20-24 range as it stands right now. This team has some very skilled players at the running back and secondary positions.

Coaching will be the key. If this team can win 6 games with Juaron's coaching staff if we get any improvement for the Offense we can win at least 8 games.

I couldn't agree more, I think this team has a real chance to win 1 or 2 more games than last year. Is it a rebuilding year? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean our bills can't pull together and believe in something great ( something they haven't really been able to do in the past 10 years) and go 8-8 with a legitimate chance to make the playoffs next year.

That is utter nonsense. This team won 6 games last year with a decimated squad and a lousy coach. We easily could've won 9.

To lump this squad with the Rams and the Lions and others of that ilk, is shortsighted and absolutely ridiculous.

We've got 20 guys coming back from IR, a strong draft, and a smart coach.

Look out. I will be astonished if we are in the bottom 10 in the league. I expect to win 10 games.

Wow, Don't Bogart that Joint my Friend! I would certainly hope you are correct, but if you are serious you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Even an 8-8 record might get Gailey Coach of the Year votes. This is another 6 win team at best, too much young inexperienced talent that needs to develop. It might be on the right path to improving but I don't think it will be as quick as you are expecting.

Las Vegas says we are #31

120-1 odds to win the SB.

PTR

Only the Rams are rated worse then the Bills... I have my doubts about that because if Sam Bradford stays injury free they will win a bunch of games.

The teams that easily could suck more then Buffalo-

(Carolina-new QB)

(Tampa Bay 2nd yr QB and HC)

(KC-2nd yr HC)

(Eagles-new QB-will more then likely get Andy Reid fired)

(Denver 2nd yr HC+traded away their big play receiver)

(Pittsburgh-Big Ben suspension+ex-Bills O line coach & ex-Bills O linemen starting :censored: )

OTOH, I think Gailey is going into this season thinking that he can toughen up the Bills players and give them more discipline to help win more games.

That reasoning couldn't be further from the truth, Jauron was a players coach and realized that 16 games can really wear down players and thus had a more relaxed training camp and locker room attitude, which the players loved BTW.

Bills players weren't drastically out of shape or completely unfit to play, they played tough and hard for Jauron. But his teams seemed to be snake bitten with all the injuries his teams encountered. Just remember a few years ago the NE Patriots had the most injuries in the NFL and the Pats still made it to the playoffs.

Like Michael Lombardi of the NFL network stated last season..."The Bills were tough to play and easy to beat"

The only way Gailey is going to win more games then Jauron did was to have better game day schemes,plans and adjustments. If he is worth a crap as an offensive coordinator his offenses should be able to out perform the schemes and game planning of Turk Schonert and AVP.

The defense tho... :censored:

well at least you can see why im predicting four wins

with all new coaches, all new systems, modest talent, players playing all new positions, and no qb, the bills are gonna start the season close to or at the very bottemest of the league. as the season wears on they will surely get better, but i just dont see them able to compete against anything but the teams listed in this article

of course due to any given sunday theres always surprises but i dont see the bills making that happen more than once maybe twice against the non-bottom feeders

so:

- win three of four against jags, @chiefs, lions, browns

- win one division game

- lose every other (@gb, @balt, chi(tor), pit, @min)

total: four wins

I'm sad to see us predicted at #31 but I agree with it.

We have a new (mediocre) head coach

we have a new offensive plan

we have a new defensive scheme

we didn't address needs on the offensive line

we didn't address needs at QB

the Jets and Dolphins both got better

We're not going to win more games than last year.

That is utter nonsense. This team won 6 games last year with a decimated squad and a lousy coach. We easily could've won 9.

Anyone who watched last season without blinders on could see it would've been easier to lose 13 than win 9. Someone explain how we won the Jets, Panthers & Dolphins games again? Oh that's right - Sanchize QB'd the worst game in history (and we still needed all of OT), Delhomme played only slightly better than that when they outgained us 3:1, and Miami thought it would be a good idea to throw a Halfback pass on our 1 after rushing for ~875 yards on their first drive. It's too bad all of these coaches around the league (many of which are ex-Bills) are so much smarter than the clueless baffoons we keep bringing in here. Or maybe people are picking the Bills to suck because they do in fact suck really bad at pretty much every key spot that really matters - QB, OL, and DL. Just a thought.

Anyone who watched last season without blinders on could see it would've been easier to lose 13 than win 9. Someone explain how we won the Jets, Panthers & Dolphins games again? Oh that's right - Sanchize QB'd the worst game in history (and we still needed all of OT), Delhomme played only slightly better than that when they outgained us 3:1, and Miami thought it would be a good idea to throw a Halfback pass on our 1 after rushing for ~875 yards on their first drive. It's too bad all of these coaches around the league (many of which are ex-Bills) are so much smarter than the clueless baffoons we keep bringing in here. Or maybe people are picking the Bills to suck because they do in fact suck really bad at pretty much every key spot that really matters - QB, OL, and DL. Just a thought.

Ain't often that it happens, I'm on board with you. The Bills WILL suck this year...but will they be bad enough to land a real LT or QB? I can't tell you that.

I find it absolutely amazing that we're not ranked 32 on that list. In all fairness to the ranking gurus, how can you even begin to assess where this team will be ranked? New offense, new defense, and new head coach. If this team has as much talent as i feel they do, i don't see them ranking that low for very long. If Marshawn gets his head out of his ass, our running game alone, coupled with better conditioning, and a coaching staff that just might utilize the talent on this team that has laid dormant for close to 4 years, I honestly see 8 wins, regardless of opponent.

There's no reason this year to be concerned about the QB situation, any one of the QBs on this team can have a serviceable season if the line stays healthy, and plays better than last year, Trent already has shown that he can at least be that when he had protection in 2008. With an offense that features more plays in the playbook, opposing defenses won't be able to sit back and guess which of the 4 plays we might run. And lastly, i think the riddance of T.O. was addition by subtraction.

Defensively, this team is already bigger against the run, and I'm sure we'll see some breakdowns due to a new system, but overall, they look far more athletic up front, especially in the LB positions, which should result in the team getting beat by strong run blocking teams with a good ground attack, but that can only get better, and, in my opinion, already look better on paper than last year.

So I think it's only fair that the team initially is ranked this low, maybe a bit too low, but you can't fault them, they have no idea what this group will do. I only object to the Raiders ranking, as I strongly feel that Jason Campbell truly blows as a QB, and doesn't make that crappy team better than anyone. They should be ranked 33rd, yes, one lower then the future expansion team destined for LA.

I do welcome any genuine debate, or comments....

(1) I don't know how any Bills fans can be content and satisfied with our current QB situation. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that statement. I dare to say the Bills may have the worst QB roster in the NFL and that's a big reason why were ranked so low..

(2) Getting rid of TO doesn't equal making this team better. In fact, I think the contrary. TO can be a jerk but last season by most every ones account he was well behaved. Sometimes, the effort may have been lacking but that still doesn't equate to his absence making the team better. Plus, he was a positive influence to Hardy(even Hardy is on the record saying that) and the young receivers . Another year of a positive TO could have done wonders to our young WR core. Don't you think? His work ethic (training camp) is second to none. Lastly, the guy can catches TD's which the Bills have trouble producing. Absolutely, an absurd statement IMO.

(3) Statement is 100% true. I get the sense that you have really downplayed this. To me it feels like your making a causal statement like it is no big deal. Needless to say, the 3-4 switch will be difficult. It wouldn't surprise me if initially our defense gets slightly worse before getting better due to all the adjustments and learning curve. Matter of fact, statistics bear this out. Why would the Bills be any different?

(4) Simply put OLB is one of the teams bigger needs.

(5) "Things can only get better." Says who? I don't see it that way...Things can get worse before they get better. There is no sure thing and there are no facts to substantiate that "blanket" statement."

(6) I happen to think Jason Campbell is a better QB than anyone on our roster. He might not be great but I would take him over any of our guys in a heart beat. One can make plenty of excuses for JC as you do for Trent Edwards. I will spare everyone the details with the exception of how offensive coordinators has he had. Also, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Raiders have a better record than the Bills. They upgraded their QB, had an excellent draft, solid defense, and play in the worst division in the NFL (unlike us). Oh almost forget get rid of their crappy RT named Green (does that name sound familiar?).

Well, there is my honest and candid reply back. Looking forward to yours and others professional feedback.

well at least you can see why im predicting four wins

with all new coaches, all new systems, modest talent, players playing all new positions, and no qb, the bills are gonna start the season close to or at the very bottemest of the league. as the season wears on they will surely get better, but i just dont see them able to compete against anything but the teams listed in this article

of course due to any given sunday theres always surprises but i dont see the bills making that happen more than once maybe twice against the non-bottom feeders

so:

- win three of four against jags, @chiefs, lions, browns

- win one division game

- lose every other (@gb, @balt, chi(tor), pit, @min)

total: four wins

i love how you conveniently forgot about cincy. :thumbsup:

I'm sad to see us predicted at #31 but I agree with it.

We have a new (mediocre) head coach

we have a new offensive plan

we have a new defensive scheme

we didn't address needs on the offensive line

we didn't address needs at QB

the Jets and Dolphins both got better

We're not going to win more games than last year.

Right. If we win 6 that makes us #23 not #31.

PTR

It's a lemming mentality at work. Even though they are ESPN they don't watch every team that closely. So when an opinion is formed about the Bills it snowballs. One guy parrotting the next. Being under the radar is just where the Bills work best anyway. We want other teams to look past us. We will be better than last year so screw em all.

PTR

What the hell does that mean ? You have the same speech writer as our President ?