Talent difference between

I don't think I've ever even watched a CFL game from start to finish, so I'm very ignorant to the level of players there.

Of course the NFL is far and away the king of professional football leagues, but by how much?

For instance, is it a similar difference in talent that the MLB and AAA has?

Some interesting questions:

How would the best CFL teams compare to the best NCAA teams?

If the Bills played in the CFL would be probably go undefeated?

Also, I'm assuming that the CFL is second in terms of skilled players to the NFL.

Is that a correct assumption?

I don't think I've ever even watched a CFL game from start to finish, so I'm very ignorant to the level of players there.

Of course the NFL is far and away the king of professional football leagues, but by how much?

Also, I'm assuming that the CFL is second in terms of skilled players to the NFL.

CFL players didn't make NFL teams, that's why they play in the CFL.

A recent Bills' DL Corey Mace was a 2nd round CFL draft pick. The Bills got him as a UDFA, so that's one case that illustrates the difference between the leagues a little bit.

Occasionally, CFL players transition to the NFL, but it is very rare.

I miss having Canadian TV available and CFL especially.

CFL is a much more passing oriented league because there is only 3 downs. QB's, DB's, and WR's are about AAA level compared to the NFL's Majors. While Lineman, Front 7 players, and RB's have a very low level of play probably AA or A compared to the NFL's Majors.

When the CFL and NFL team played, would they be playing on a CFL field (much wider) with CFL rules (3 downs instead of 4 and others)? Because if they were, they might be pretty close. CFL guys are better adapted for CFL fields and rules and NFL guys are better adapted for NFL fields and rules.

Get a CFL team on an NFL field with NFL rules, though, and it would be murder.

Cameron Wake, a Penn State Grad, was 2 time sack champ in the CFL (in his first two season) then we signed by the Dolphins (also had interest from the Bills).

His first year in the NFL he played in 14 games with 1 start and had 5.5 sacks and 23 tackles. This is after leading the CFL in sacks with 39 over two years and being voted the leagues defensive MVP in both years.

Im not sure how Wake was passed over in the NFL draft (he was a very good college player) but he was the best defensive player in the CFL his first season. That makes me think the top NCAA teams have more talent than some CFL teams. But at the same time I dont think the Bills would win a Grey Cup :beer:

The CFL has been around for a long time. There was a time, especially before the rise of the AFL and while the NFL itself was smaller, less lucrative, less organized/competitive when a fair number of top player talent made it to Canada. Cookie Gilchrist and others are CFL legends that were good enough to play anywhere. Even more recently, for one reason or another, the occasional great player shows up here, e.g. Warren Moon because back when he graduated the NFL was still in the dark ages re drafting a black QB (even if the guy was great) or Jeff Garcia and a few others, including Flutie who after all was a real QB and not an imposter at the position even in the NFL. Most recently there is Wake, who will only get better in Miami (though of course will not dominate as he did in Canada).

Rickie Williams is an interesting case for comparison. When he played for Toronto he was not as effective as he is in Miami. To me he was just playing out his suspension and keping in shape - maybe at 80% of capacity. Even then, when he made his mind up he could put it in a different gear. I remember him with a defensive tackle draped all over him at the opposition five yard line. He literally walked in with the guy on his back. He's a tough runner but he doesn't do that in the NFL.

The CFL is fun for us Canadians to have, but it is definitely the minor leagues. Even more so than in baseball since its sends fewer players to the "majors". Talentwise, if the Bills played here they would/should go undefeated and win the Grey Cup (although with them you never know- its hard to win in the CFL).

With its three down set the game is more simplified and together with the wider field is more open and pass oriented. It is less sophisticated and technical from the perspective of execution though and there are some things about it that are downright stupid. The difference between victory and defeat can be a punt through the end-zone - the infamous "rouge"- hilarious.

CFL = AA league ball.

You must be a pessimist not to mention Doug Flutie. :beer:

flutie was drafted into the nfl. he made the mistake of crossing the picket line when they were on strike in 87 and become somewhat of a pariah in the nfl... eleven years later, all was forgiven and he showed what he could do

The CFL has been around for a long time. There was a time, especially before the rise of the AFL and while the NFL itself was smaller, less lucrative, less organized/competitive when a fair number of top player talent made it to Canada. Cookie Gilchrist and others are CFL legends that were good enough to play anywhere. Even more recently, for one reason or another, the occasional great player shows up here, e.g. Warren Moon because back when he graduated the NFL was still in the dark ages re drafting a black QB (even if the guy was great) or Jeff Garcia and a few others, including Flutie who after all was a real QB and not an imposter at the position even in the NFL. Most recently there is Wake, who will only get better in Miami (though of course will not dominate as he did in Canada).

Rickie Williams is an interesting case for comparison. When he played for Toronto he was not as effective as he is in Miami. To me he was just playing out his suspension and keping in shape - maybe at 80% of capacity. Even then, when he made his mind up he could put it in a different gear. I remember him with a defensive tackle draped all over him at the opposition five yard line. He literally walked in with the guy on his back. He's a tough runner but he doesn't do that in the NFL.

The CFL is fun for us Canadians to have, but it is definitely the minor leagues. Even more so than in baseball since its sends fewer players to the "majors". Talentwise, if the Bills played here they would/should go undefeated and win the Grey Cup (although with them you never know- its hard to win in the CFL).

With its three down set the game is more simplified and together with the wider field is more open and pass oriented. It is less sophisticated and technical from the perspective of execution though and there are some things about it that are downright stupid. The difference between victory and defeat can be a punt through the end-zone - the infamous "rouge"- hilarious.

Great post. I can remember back when my cable company first got ESPN (1981, I think), they were all over the CFL because the Alouettes had signed Ferragamo, Overstreet, and a receiver from the Bears whose name escapes me. They had some bird brain for an owner who thought he could singlehandedly lift the status of the league to the NFL level. But Ferragamo tanked (just like with the Bills), the Alouettes were awful, and all three players came back to the NFL with their tails between their legs.

The guy that I really liked in that era was Condredge Holloway. That guy was an awful lot like Flutie. He was short and could scoot. He had fantastic field vision; the Argos ran the Run-and-Shoot, and he spread the ball all over the field, and he had great timing for when to go long. I looked his numbers up, and he really only had one huge year. But pretty much every year he had more TDs than INTs, and always had impressive yards per attempt. I think he could have crossed over to the NFL if they weren't so hung up on size. He certainly could have been an upgrade over the clowns that passed through Buffalo between Ferguson and Kelly.