Current and Fallen Soldiers

First intelligent thing you've said around here. ;)

Thanks to all who served especially my FiL who was a paratrooper in WWII. I'm supremely happy he made it through that mess.

That still puts him one up on you. :thumbsup:

A day and people to be proud of.

I had no idea what a Marmot was...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marmot-edit1.jpg

Don't marmots sleep something like 20 or more hours a day? So if you are huntinig them, one is either clipping them in their sleep or just whent they wake up...

:worthy::lol:

Jim... I am just ripping on you too... :wallbash:

And Count... All my best wishes for strength...

I just wanted to take a second to firstly thank all the members of this board who currently serve and have previously serve in the armed forces. Also to everyone who has family members, friends who serve i thank them to.

I would like to thank all armed forces members current, retired and those who died for this great country. It makes me realize that as bad as some days get, I am greatful i am able to do what i do, and it is because of those who have the courage to make the ultimate sacrafice.

Last night (6/6), I went out on the porch with a candle and a transistor radio, to enjoy the evening coolness. I was turning the dial to find some quiet orchestral music, and came across a re-broadcast of NBC radio's ongoing reporting of D-Day. Words from Pres. Roosevelt. The voices of correspondents on the beaches with the troops. Clergymen speaking prayers for our men.

Last night (6/6), I went out on the porch with a candle and a transistor radio, to enjoy the evening coolness. I was turning the dial to find some quiet orchestral music, and came across a re-broadcast of NBC radio's ongoing reporting of D-Day. Words from Pres. Roosevelt. The voices of correspondents on the beaches with the troops. Clergymen speaking prayers for our men.

As much as I do not go in for all the over-the-top D-Day celebration...as a military historian, I would have seriously loved to hear that.

As much as I do not go in for all the over-the-top D-Day celebration...as a military historian, I would have seriously loved to hear that.

Yes - it was moving, to say the least. Verbal broadcasting of both Allied and German transmissions - my guess, that most battlefield message coding went by the wayside for obvious reasons in the early hours. The correspondents on beach and ship alike often reported with continual backdrop of the sounds of armaments - sometimes to volumes that rendered speech impossible. One time, there was a voice relating, then a loud sound - then - nothing.

The broadcasting station was WVXU, IIRC; not sure. FM station that produces from Xavier University.