Friday Lynch update per Mark Gaughan

DonInBuffalo actually posted this in another thread but I thought it might deserve its own thread, rather than getting lost in the other one.

As Donte Whitner tweeted yesterday, Marshawn is in the building and Gaughan elaborates on that…very interesting situation.

Also mention of Shawn Nelson, whom many of us have been wondering about.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...sans-lynch.html

DonInBuffalo actually posted this in another thread but I thought it might deserve its own thread, rather than getting lost in the other one.

As Donte Whitner tweeted yesterday, Marshawn is in the building and Gaughan elaborates on that…very interesting situation.

Also mention of Shawn Nelson, whom many of us have been wondering about.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...sans-lynch.html

Was just about to post the same thing...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5252528

at least hes showing his face...

The real interesting thing is that Marshawn's working out on the weights but not practicing.

How is one to interpret that?

The first theory would be that he doesn't want to risk an injury that would jeopardize a trade.

BUT, there have been many weight room injuries in the past. His additional risk by practicing is minimum in my opinion.

And unless the Bills are now wavering, there is no impending trade.

To back up what both the Bills and Lynch have been saying (that he won't be traded), PFT confirmed that there is little or no interest in Lynch at this time.

So…why isn't he practicing, particularly if there is no trade impending? Play book review?

The real interesting thing is that Marshawn's working out on the weights but not practicing.

The first theory would be that he doesn't want to risk an injury that would jeopardize a trade.

BUT, there have been many weight room injuries in the past. His additional risk by practicing is minimum in my opinion.

To back up what both the Bills and Lynch have been saying (that he won't be traded), PFT confirmed that there is little or no interest in Lynch at this time.

So…why isn't he practicing, particularly if there is no trade impending? Play book review?

Here's a theory…not saying it's plausible.

We KNOW Marshawn doesn't want to be here. He's clearly unhappy. Maybe he's hanging out at the facility and being a malcontent so that the Bills are forced to trade him very cheaply, suspend him, or ask him to stay away from the facility.

I know I'm digging here but the fact of him working out but not practicing is quite mysterious and inscrutable.

So that's the theory: He's being an on-site malcontent in order to force a trade.

I think there may be a chance that he is simply working out while catching up in the classroom on the installations that he has missed. He may want to make sure he understands what is going on before taking the field so he can participate without wondering what is going on. It could be as simple as that. Ideally, that would be the reason. Hopefully he is out there tomorrow.

I have to agree that this seems like a plausible theory. I know it has been stated on this board that Lynch is talented, that he was a first round pick in 07, that he's only 24, and he's been to a pro bowl, etc. etc. If the Bills were not an AFC bottom-dwelling franchise, then I think Bills' fans and Lynch could get over the apparent mutual disdain for each other.

However, the Lynch situation just won't improve. It is time to cut bait for a 3rd round pick or possibly some deal where we trade a 5th with Lynch for a 2nd. Knowing of Lynch's history in California coupled with the Raiders desire to add troublesome talent, Lynch would fit great with Oakland. He and McFadden would provide a nice 1-2 punch with Michael Bush as a nice #3.

Sure...we would be losing a top 5 talent on our roster, but if the team is going to move forward, it has to get rid of its cancerous players and attitudes.

Bills can then use that 2nd or 3rd round pick next year to build the team after Gailey's and Nix's scheme.

We KNOW Marshawn doesn't want to be here. He's clearly unhappy. Maybe he's hanging out at the facility and being a malcontent so that the Bills are forced to trade him very cheaply, suspend him, or ask him to stay away from the facility.

I may have a different take than most, bit I like the fact that Gailey made snappy responses to questions about Lynch the other day. I think this may show he's pissed about Lynch.

Sure beats those old standard responses of the last 4 years: "We'll just work with the guys that are here. We like the guys we have that are here..."

I'm again not very impressed with the leaders of this team, as I wasn't when Peters was holding out & nobody was calling him out. You can say they shouldn't air their dirty laundry but I'd rather hear about players expressing their dissatisfaction with Lynch & Schobel not practicing.

I may have a different take than most, bit I like the fact that Gailey made snappy responses to questions about Lynch the other day. I think this may show he's pissed about Lynch.

Sure beats those old standard responses of the last 4 years: "We'll just work with the guys that are here. We like the guys we have that are here..."

I'm again not very impressed with the leaders of this team, as I wasn't when Peters was holding out & nobody was calling him out. You can say they shouldn't air their dirty laundry but I'd rather hear about players expressing their dissatisfaction with Lynch & Schobel not practicing.

I totally agree with you that Gailey's terse responses to the reporter's questions were definitely meant to send a message to Lynch.

As far as what I bolded above and your comment about leadership amongst the players, I thought what Fred Jackson said to Tim Graham a while ago was blunt, honest, and diplomatic at the same time:

"It's just one of those things you know, as a professional, it's voluntary, but at the same time you want to be in the best situation as possible," Bills running back Fred Jackson said after Thursday's steamy workout.

"The best situation is being here so you know what you're supposed to be doing when you're out on the field. That's what it's about, just trying to get in the playbook, knowing what you're supposed to do, knowing your assignments so when we go on the field it's about just playing football. If you're out there and don't know what you're doing, you're going to be thinking too much."

Fred went on to add:

"You've got to be here to pick up the playbook," Jackson said. "That's the No. 1 thing that he's missing out on. ... I'd say that's the only place he's falling behind.

"Other than that, he's a football player. He knows how to play football. It's just learning the offense and the terminology."

"You try and look at it and see how you can compare it to what you've known in the past, then when you come into the classroom you focus on certain things. You've got to take in as much as possible. It's definitely tough.

You feel like a rookie. It's a lot of terminology you don't know. Normally, when a player comes in and asks you about the offense, you can tell them how we're supposed to run it. I get a question from C.J., and I say 'You know what? I think this is how we're supposed to do it.'

"It's tough from that standpoint, but with enough repetitions, you'll pick it up."