It's time to extend Tom Donahoe

Albany,n.y.

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday
Now Simon, you know good and well that it has been the OL, Officials, Defense, Special teams and Coaching that has caused our offensive problems. Nothing else....(sarcasm off)

140787[/snapback]

That's right - I purposely didn't mention Bledsoe. Why? Two reasons. (1) because that issue has been beaten to death around here, and (2) because, while I think he should be considered Donahoe's Mistake (along with the GW hire), I don't think you need a superstar QB to win a Superbowl. You need a great D, a great OL, and a QB who doesn't turn the ball over. Although DB turns the ball over far too often, a good o-coordinator can impact that significantly by eliminating many of the high-risk opportunities such a QB will be placed in. I think they're starting to get that at OBD, but I'm not positive...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest to you that the o-line was attrocious in the first Jets game (until the final drive), below average in the Oakland game (made worse by Bledsoe's bad decision-making), bad at critical moments in the first Patriots game (including the famous 4th-and-1 play), and average-to-below-average in the Baltimore game.

The Jets game was the only blip in their performance this year, but I hesitate to even mention it as the problems were almost exclusively attributable to just a single guy who happened to be playing concussed on one leg.

The OLine was fine in the Oakland game; that was another Drew road special with a heaping helping of poor pick-up work by our RB's.

Blowing one trick play in the Pats game where we played the SB champs and best team on the planet straight up for 55 minutes is hardly enough to call it a bad effort.

And again I think they were solid v Baltimore but were billsfanone by another Drew road special.

This staff has put these guys in a position to play to their strengths and they have responded right since the opening bell. The fact that they have continually improved since then, does not mean they weren't still playing good ball from the get-go.

Cya

i say the jury's still out on TD, at best.  i'll judge him in 10 years.

140422[/snapback]

10 years may be a bit extreme, but I feel the same way about the jury still being out.

It was no secret that Spikes, Milloy & Adams (I'm still not a big Fletcher fan) were good players. I do give him credit for being a good recruiter and getting those guys to come to Buffalo.

The 2002 draft was horrible, compounded by the fact that they actually traded up for Ryan Denney. The 2001 draft was good but not great. Schobel comes up small in big games (most notably vs. NE) every time; and giving him a big extension could be disastrous. Henry by TD-apologists own admission is not a franchise back.

I don't like some of the personnel decisions he made when he got here - cleaning house with some solid defensive players that weren't making a whole lot of money - which contributed to a horrible defense in '01 and '02. However, I do somewhat agree that ultimately winning the SB is all that matters and records be damned.

He's made 2 coaching hires - 1 of which was horrible, the other yet to be determined.

Bottom Line = he has made 3 bold, controversial, franchise-defining moves so far. The Bledsoe trade which bombed, the McGahee pick which looks like it's going to work out nice, and the Losman trade. So far he's 1-for-2 and ultimately the play of JP Losman will be the tiebreaker and determine his success/failure as a GM.

Are you on fuggin Crack? the sombitch STILL has a losing record. the BILLS STILL HAVE A LOSING RECORD!

IF we make it past the first round of the playoffs AFTER a winning record...THEN even consider it.

I don't give a sh-- about 'heading in the right direction' GET THERE then we talk.

140660[/snapback]

Think about this.....how many years did GMs like Scott Pioli(NE), Rich McKay(TB/Atl), Ozzie Newsome(Cle/Bal), Charley Armey(StL), Floyd Reese (Hou/Ten) and Bill Polian (with Indy) toil with mediocre if not horrible teams before their respective teams started winning consistently or bringing home a championship?

I'd say on average 5-8 years!!!!

Now that doesn't mean I'm not anxious to start winning NOW but sometimes there is more to it than just one person. I think TD has made, for the most part, good moves. He keeps the offseason exciting and gives us hope going into to each season. For many different reasons the TEAM hasn't put it together but I am starting to feel really really good about the immediate future.