So Chan thinks we can run the ball

boy i'd really, really like to see Edwards hit the RBs on more of those slant routes like he does with Marshawn against the Browns game. that is a wonderful pattern and a great "check down" throw as its over the middle for a big gain. it is good on play action if you can get the ILB to bite.

As we all know run blocking is much easier than pass blocking. Anyone who has played the game will agree. I see the run game as a strength but without decent pass blocking the offense will again struggle. You gotta get rid of the 8 man fronts and spread the defense in order to score points. Hopefully the new offense can figure out a way to spread the defense.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we all know run blocking is much easier than pass blocking. Anyone who has played the game will agree. I see the run game as a strength but without decent pass blocking the offense will again struggle. You gotta get rid of the 8 man fronts and spread the defense in order to score points. Hopefully the new offense can figure out a way to spread the defense.

I agree Run blocking is a lot easier that pass protection... however some of the blocking that Levetre and Bell did gives me some hope for this year, the looked prety good on several plays.

Our offensive line was a lot better at run-blocking last year than it was at pass protection. A guy like Bell was a good case in point. On running plays, he had the quickness and athleticism to run to a given point on the field, and shove some defender out of the way just before the RB arrived. A lot of our other starting offensive linemen were like that too, as they showed in that first New England game. Bell was a huge disappointment in pass protection though.

The point I'm making with all this is that the Bills can potentially have a solid running game even without upgrading the offensive line. Of course, there will be harsh limits to how much that running game can actually achieve until we upgrade our passing attack as well. To do that, we're going to need offensive tackles capable of pass protection in addition to run-blocking, an upgrade at center, a #1 WR to take the pressure off Lee Evans at #2, and, above all, a quarterback.

:doh:

Despite the Bills' numerous problems on offense last year, the RB's averaged almost 4.3 YPC. The Bills will be able to run the ball (again) this year.

Maybe it's just my selective memory, but it seemed that the running game would bog down inside the red zone, big time. It felt like other teams were content to let the Bills get down to the 20 because they could pretty much stop the run and blitz the QB at the same time.

I am hoping Chan can get the red zone offense firing on all cylinders.

Maybe it's just my selective memory, but it seemed that the running game would bog down inside the red zone, big time. It felt like other teams were content to let the Bills get down to the 20 because they could pretty much stop the run and blitz the QB at the same time.

I am hoping Chan can get the red zone offense firing on all cylinders.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make...Without the threat of a passing game, you'll continue to get the 8 0r 9 man fronts the Bills have been seeing. Hopefully Spiller and Hardy can add some Red Zone offensive pass production.

Hop into Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine. Back when the acquisition of Dockery and Walker had the fans raving about - at last- a "smash-mouth" running team.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...wasn't "zone blocking" the buzz words back then?

Now you've done it. Given away your age. Mr. Peabody and the wayback machine dates you.

:thumbsup:

Despite the Bills' numerous problems on offense last year, the RB's averaged almost 4.3 YPC. The Bills will be able to run the ball (again) this year.

seems that this stat is a bit misleading

only in Buffalo, can a team boast such a powerful running game :) , yet finish dead last in 3rd down coversions (and keeping drives alive)

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third...-conversion-pct

seems that this stat is a bit misleading

only in Buffalo, can a team boast such a powerful running game :thumbsup: , yet finish dead last in 3rd down coversions (and keeping drives alive)

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third...-conversion-pct

The stat is not misleading. The Bills averaged 4.3 ypc. The problem was, we didn't run the ball enough, and too many times, the Bills tried to get cute passing the ball on first down with plays that had little or no chance of success. The passing game is what killed this offense, the fact that we didn't throw at the right time, and the fact that we were too quick to get away from the running game killed our offense. And other teams knew it.