Artvoice's Best of 2010 Local Music

Peevo

http://artvoice.com/issues/v9n16/music_nominees

Sorry folks, and to any poster who may be in these bands, but this list is atrocious. I mean, really, really bad.

And no, I'm not complaining because my band didn't make the list, I'm complaining because no act with members above the age of 50 deserve to make any local rock list.

Where is The Reign of Kindo? (myspace.com/thereignofkindo) One of the most talented, original and adept bands out there right now? 4 part vocal harmony, flawless musicianship, and hard working guys that do everything right.

The Found? Folky, layered vocal harmony amid bombastic percussion and and a mean drummer with a huge bass drum? What more do you want? myspace.com/thefoundsound

How about Son of the Sun? if you like chill, introspective and mellow songwriting, here's your place. Zak's voice has never been better, and their new album will destroy all cynics. myspace.com/sonofthesunmusic

For heavier bands, how about Rust Belt Lights? Honest, fast, and well executed local punk rock.

I'm sorry, but save for Chae Hawk, Babik and Bloodthirsty Vegans, there really is no talent on this list. I thought Artvoice was the sound of the youth? I think the average age of the Rock band category is 75. Sorry dudes, but you have to better than that.

Also, no band with an exclamation point in their name, while using Line 6 modeling amps deserves to be on any best of list. Give me a real amp with real tubes and real overdrive.

http://artvoice.com/issues/v9n16/music_nominees

Sorry folks, and to any poster who may be in these bands, but this list is atrocious. I mean, really, really bad.

And no, I'm not complaining because my band didn't make the list, I'm complaining because no act with members above the age of 50 deserve to make any local rock list.

Where is The Reign of Kindo? (myspace.com/thereignofkindo) One of the most talented, original and adept bands out there right now? 4 part vocal harmony, flawless musicianship, and hard working guys that do everything right.

The Found? Folky, layered vocal harmony amid bombastic percussion and and a mean drummer with a huge bass drum? What more do you want? myspace.com/thefoundsound

How about Son of the Sun? if you like chill, introspective and mellow songwriting, here's your place. Zak's voice has never been better, and their new album will destroy all cynics. myspace.com/sonofthesunmusic

For heavier bands, how about Rust Belt Lights? Honest, fast, and well executed local punk rock.

I'm sorry, but save for Chae Hawk, Babik and Bloodthirsty Vegans, there really is no talent on this list. I thought Artvoice was the sound of the youth? I think the average age of the Rock band category is 75. Sorry dudes, but you have to better than that.

Also, no band with an exclamation point in their name, while using Line 6 modeling amps deserves to be on any best of list. Give me a real amp with real tubes and real overdrive.

The Found is amazing. Like too good to stay in Buffalo amazing. They are really plugging into something I love.

Patrons of Sweet should have made the list as well. Killer straight forward indie rock.

But the, for my money, the best bands Buffalo ever produced (Knife Crazy and Exit Strategy) never got any love from that paper. So no huge surprises here for me

There are good bands not on that list. As far as cover bands go, suckerpunch is awesome for hard rock/metal.

As far as original acts Standard of Living and It's a Firefight are two of the better bands that I have seen lately

On the softer more melodic end, the Square Circle puts together a good performance.

That said cover bands should never be on the best rock band list :lol:

The Found is amazing. Like too good to stay in Buffalo amazing. They are really plugging into something I love.

Patrons of Sweet should have made the list as well. Killer straight forward indie rock.

But the, for my money, the best bands Buffalo ever produced (Knife Crazy and Exit Strategy) never got any love from that paper. So no huge surprises here for me

Yeah, same here. Not really much familiar with Knife Crazy although I remember reading a good review of them in the Beast a couple years back.

Artvoice is weird. They act they like they have their fingers on the collective pulses of Buffalo's art and music scene yet left some glaring omissions that seemed very obvious to me. It's a bunch of 30 plus snobby Buff State journalism grads.

SpeakerFire only got literally 2 words from them once, and it was "alternative rock band." Ok, that was 3 words, but still. I guess I'll take that.

As much as local papers like this are important in a sense, I'd say Buffalo Rising and the Beast are more readable. And Standard of Living, not my favorite, but they're nice guys, work hard, and have been at it a few years. They deserve some press. It's A Firefight was on my radio show, good dudes, I've known Brett since his Looking For Seven days.

My overall point is that local music has been and will always be for the youth. It's a forum for youthful expression. You hit 30, you can't be in a "local band" playing original music anymore. I'm sorry, but it's true. I'm 23 and am pretty much over pushing my original music on people. If you're not signed, touring, and have full booking and management support, you can't be in an original band beyond 30. You're grasping at straws at that point. Life catches up to you, and you have to accept it at some point.

The problem with any of these "Best of Buffalo" lists is that the ballot box gets stuffed by the bands themselves. A band finds out about it and then tells everyone they know to fill out a ballot for them. A couple of years ago, some school marching band won best local band in the Buffalo News "Next" poll. That's the only possible explanation for some of the bands on that list.

I also agree that NO cover band should be even eligible for best rock act. They should have a separate category for cover bands if they want to include them.

Yeah, same here. Not really much familiar with Knife Crazy although I remember reading a good review of them in the Beast a couple years back.

Artvoice is weird. They act they like they have their fingers on the collective pulses of Buffalo's art and music scene yet left some glaring omissions that seemed very obvious to me. It's a bunch of 30 plus snobby Buff State journalism grads.

SpeakerFire only got literally 2 words from them once, and it was "alternative rock band." Ok, that was 3 words, but still. I guess I'll take that.

As much as local papers like this are important in a sense, I'd say Buffalo Rising and the Beast are more readable. And Standard of Living, not my favorite, but they're nice guys, work hard, and have been at it a few years. They deserve some press. It's A Firefight was on my radio show, good dudes, I've known Brett since his Looking For Seven days.

My overall point is that local music has been and will always be for the youth. It's a forum for youthful expression. You hit 30, you can't be in a "local band" playing original music anymore. I'm sorry, but it's true. I'm 23 and am pretty much over pushing my original music on people. If you're not signed, touring, and have full booking and management support, you can't be in an original band beyond 30. You're grasping at straws at that point. Life catches up to you, and you have to accept it at some point.

Spoken like a 23 year old. Rock on Dude!

You know some people play music for fun, and enjoy writing their own stuff. Alot of us 30 somethings have careers and families as well, and we aren't chasing a dream. In fact, most of us pre-American Idol bands never really gave it much thought, other than the "wouldn't it be cool" type.