Mel Kiper gives the Bills a C-plus for Spiller

LGB

Look, I understand fans want to see no wrong in their drafts, but they shat the bed in 4th and 5th rounds. That doesn't make it a bad draft, but the perfectionist in me wanted to see it be better.

I'll take Nix's worst draft ever over your perfect draft. No offense.

He is an employee of ESPN as an analyst but is President of Mel Kiper Enterprises (which most likely pays a big chunk of his salary). Its not just ESPN that pays his salary, its all the extras that get added in because he is the face of the NFL draft.

Mel Kiper Enterprises is a private company categorized under Writing for Publication and located in Baldwin, MD. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $160,000 and employs a staff of approximately 3.

Let's walk down memory lane

The funny thing about those picks is they were the consensus picks and thoughts amongst NFL scouts and talking heads. On Mike and Mike today, they were talking about 20+ other teams had Jamarcus Russel as the #1 prospect too. Gholston wasn't a reach, he was coveted by plenty of teams. Kiper is an analyst, not a fortune teller. These guys were solid college players and had all of the tools, but THEY failed.

I love how the guys who don't like the Bills draft are made fun of but someone like Corey Chavous is praised because, "HE GAVE THE BILLS AN A!!!"

If you're analyzing past predictions, Chavous had the most ridiculous #1 prosect of all time in Reggie McNeal, but he is the man now! The guy wound up being a 6th round pick and out of the league in a year.

The mentality on this board is so vitriolic and childish toward those who didn't like the draft, especially now that there is this "us versus them" mentality. Everything JoshMcDaniels does is terrible, but Buddy Nix somehow sh*ts gold. The Jets are loading up on degenerates, but Cornell Green is about to breakout.

I wouldn't say it's Kool Aid drinking, it's delusional! Buddy Nix is building his team with low level college players and every player is somehow a "steal"?

For every negative post about this team and their direction, the fantasy land mentality that the 90's Cowboys were just drafted is just that, fantasy land.

Mel Kiper's job is not to be right, it is not to win football games. It is to entertain his audience. The way he does this is by digesting and making accessible what would otherwise be an impossible and unentertaining process. Can you imagine following the draft if there was no analysis and projection, but just college football games and then the draft? It would be like watching the MLB draft after the first round, something only the rediculously over-informed could enjoy.

Mel has one view on things that is different just like each of the 32 teams has a board different from the others. I would guess he has fewer resources and man hours going in to his analysis than a typical team, but I could be wrong. He certainly has much less information about each individual team and it's needs than the team's war room does.

Kiper makes it fun, but when he is right or when he is wrong or what he says about your team has no real baring on winning and losing football games. He is there to add to our fan entertainment, and he does.

The funny thing about those picks is they were the consensus picks and thoughts amongst NFL scouts and talking heads. On Mike and Mike today, they were talking about 20+ other teams had Jamarcus Russel as the #1 prospect too. Gholston wasn't a reach, he was coveted by plenty of teams. Kiper is an analyst, not a fortune teller. These guys were solid college players and had all of the tools, but THEY failed.

I love how the guys who don't like the Bills draft are made fun of but someone like Corey Chavous is praised because, "HE GAVE THE BILLS AN A!!!"

If you're analyzing past predictions, Chavous had the most ridiculous #1 prosect of all time in Reggie McNeal, but he is the man now! The guy wound up being a 6th round pick and out of the league in a year.

The mentality on this board is so vitriolic and childish toward those who didn't like the draft, especially now that there is this "us versus them" mentality. Everything JoshMcDaniels does is terrible, but Buddy Nix somehow sh*ts gold. The Jets are loading up on degenerates, but Cornell Green is about to breakout.

I wouldn't say it's Kool Aid drinking, it's delusional! Buddy Nix is building his team with low level college players and every player is somehow a "steal"?

For every negative post about this team and their direction, the fantasy land mentality that the 90's Cowboys were just drafted is just that, fantasy land.

Some fans that do not have the time to visit with each prospect or view tape would like to know that their favorite team is headed in the right direction. Nobody can predict the future, but it is interesting to see how the "experts" have viewed this draft.

In that case, I guess Nolan Nawrocki is the best, most knowledgeable analyst out there. Today.

Mel is becoming just another source of information in the long line of analysts that have appeared in the last few years. He has the distinction of being one of the longest running draft analysts and was interviewed by Tim Graham.

Here are some other ratings:

The evaluators are ESPN's Mel Kiper, Clifton Brown from The Sporting News, John Czarnecki of FoxSports.com, AOL Fanhouse's Chris Burke, Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki and CBSSports.com duo Pete Prisco and Rob Rang.

Buffalo Bills (composite grade :flirt:

Kiper's grade: C+

Brown's grade: C-

Burke's grade: B-

Czarnecki's grade: C

Nawrocki's grade: B+

Prisco's grade: C

Rang's grade: C+

Here is what should REALLY happen the day after the draft:

Headline: Audience Gives Kiper a D on the draft, McShay D-

Story: As usual, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and the rest of the Draft Guessers* got many more wrong than right in their prediction* of which players NFL teams would take, and when. Almost all Guessers were made themselves look like fools, by tricking themselves into thinking there were any QBs worthy of high picks... etc. blahblahblah

Draft Guessing Grades:

Kiper - D

McShay - D-

Prisco - C-

Nawrocki - C

(*Notice I did not say experts, or evaluation)