Big Tenleven Expansion

Cynical

Story on USA Today site:

"It now appears that the Big Ten may take on three or five schools to bring its total number to 14 or 16."

Crikey. 5 Teams? :unsure:

USA Today: Campus Rivalry

Thats the word round here, they are targeting the "NY Market"...... Syracuse, Rutgers, possibly Uconn. Of course ND would be the big fish. There's talk if its 5 teams Mizzou would get an invite because it geographically make sense. Don't know how I'd feel about that, I like my Big 12 rivalries.

This is just getting ridiculous. Mizzou should go to the Big Ten, and then TCU will fill their slot in the Big 12. Simplest solution. I realize the Big Ten wants that chunk of east coast viewership and media coverage, but they are a Midwest conference. Why wouldn't they want to pick up the St. Louis market?

Obviously Notre Dame to the Big Ten makes the most sense for everyone, except ND's pockets.

Also, I love when people target Rutgers for the "NYC market." Nobody in NY gives a rats ass about Rutgers. Their football team beat Louisville on a Thursday night and were good for about five minutes. Other than that, it's Rutgers, and it's Jersey, and nobody cares. (Obviously, if the conference landed UConn and SU also, well that's different...Those are Big East stalwarts...)

This is just getting ridiculous. Mizzou should go to the Big Ten, and then TCU will fill their slot in the Big 12. Simplest solution. I realize the Big Ten wants that chunk of east coast viewership and media coverage, but they are a Midwest conference. Why wouldn't they want to pick up the St. Louis market?

Obviously Notre Dame to the Big Ten makes the most sense for everyone, except ND's pockets.

Also, I love when people target Rutgers for the "NYC market." Nobody in NY gives a rats ass about Rutgers. Their football team beat Louisville on a Thursday night and were good for about five minutes. Other than that, it's Rutgers, and it's Jersey, and nobody cares. (Obviously, if the conference landed UConn and SU also, well that's different...Those are Big East stalwarts...)

Actually they were talking about how much money has been generated from the Big Ten network and that its close to being broadcasted on basic cable in all its viewing areas. The Big Ten receives 40 cents per subscriber to the network which last year generated an extra $6 million per school. If they go to 16 teams the viewing area will be so big that the teams in the Big Ten (or whatever the hell it would be called) could very possibly be generating more money than ND does from its NBC contract. There is talk to that the 40 cents per subscriber could be closer to $1 in the next year which would mean big bucks. Money talks i guess.

I'm not saying Mizzou to the Big ten doesn't make sense, I just don't want to give up my Rivalry games with KU and Nebraska......I hate those Mutha Fuggers.

I think they do want to pick up the St. Louis market but they'd rather have the Texas market first. No secret why they want the NY market and ND is a national draw. Anyway the Texas AD has said that there is no way it would work for the rest of there athletics and that it would be too much traveling for his student athletes. But again, they haven't given a resounding NO yet because of the $$$ factor.

I agree,Missouri would be a good fit. ND is a natural fit as well,but they seem to want to stay independant. Texas would be interesting also. I don't think that any of the Big East teams bring much to the Big 10 from a fans perspective. With all this talk of expansion to 14 or more teams,I have no idea how this will all end up.

We're not out of the woods yet...but there is report that leads me to believe that ND has finally sacked up and said NO. Not a major news outlet, so take it with a grain of salt.

The multiple-team expansion seems to have been the most likely scenario for a little while now...assuming ND was not coming. I read an interesting article a few days ago where the former long-time Syracuse AD Jake Crouthamel predicted that the ACC, Big Ten, PAC-10 and SEC might expand to 16 teams each and LEAVE the NCAA!! Sounds crazy, but not impossible. This new coalition would then make their own basketball tournament and football system.

But back to real life, I was thinking ND might cave, but assuming they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big East teams named make the jump.

We're not out of the woods yet...but there is report that leads me to believe that ND has finally sacked up and said NO. Not a major news outlet, so take it with a grain of salt.

The multiple-team expansion seems to have been the most likely scenario for a little while now...assuming ND was not coming. I read an interesting article a few days ago where the former long-time Syracuse AD Jake Crouthamel predicted that the ACC, Big Ten, PAC-10 and SEC might expand to 16 teams each and LEAVE the NCAA!! Sounds crazy, but not impossible. This new coalition would then make their own basketball tournament and football system.

Got a link to that article? (or at least a direction to go look?)

There are many in Bama land (me included) that would love to see the NCAA get booted to the curb.

That organization, at the very least, is inconsistent and incompetent, if not flat out corrupt.

But back to real life, I was thinking ND might cave, but assuming they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big East teams named make the jump.

There are many in Bama land (me included) that would love to see the NCAA get booted to the curb.

That organization, at the very least, is inconsistent and incompetent, if not flat out corrupt.

Yeah, my fault...should have linked it. It was in the NY Times the other day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/sports/2...l?th&emc=th

It's crazy to even think about such a situation...I think the NCAA is largely an ineffective cesspool of corruption and greed, but I also wonder if any alternative would be better (or worse!) There is also the issue of cutting out the other 50+ Division I-A teams from any football championship format and cutting out the few hundred ones from basketball.

There's a lot of people here in 'nole country who share the sentiment. (and i'm with you) The NCAA is nothing but a bunch of crooks. The local radio guy down here has done the hypothetical situation where a big name school could easily decide to eave the NCAA, pay players a $10k stipend per season, set their own schedule, negotiate their own TV rights, land even host their own end-of-the-season game.

There's a lot of people here in 'nole country who share the sentiment. (and i'm with you) The NCAA is nothing but a bunch of crooks. The local radio guy down here has done the hypothetical situation where a big name school could easily decide to eave the NCAA, pay players a $10k stipend per season, set their own schedule, negotiate their own TV rights, land even host their own end-of-the-season game.

I agree with you guys that the NCAA is corrupt as hell,but what would we end up with? What kind of regulations would there be and who would enforce them? Would college football fans be any better off?

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.