Derrick Morgan

No, he didn't have any stats. But if you actually watched the game, he was killing Kyle Calloway all night long when playing LDE and was hitting the QB on almost every pass play. He was also causing runners to go back into the rest of the defense versus coming his way, when they actually didn't try to avoid his side of the field. He did get handled by Bulaga on a couple of occasions though. Red flag? Yeah. :rolleyes:

I prefer Brandon Graham of Michigan, although even among scouts, this seems to be a minority opinion. Most of that is due to the fact that both players are rated on some draft charts as defensive ends (their college position) and on other draft charts as linebackers.

The thing is, many scouts have doubts that Derrick Morgan can transition to linebacker. There are no such concerns about Graham.

Derrick Morgan is probably best suited for a 4-3 defensive end. He is not projected as a 3-4 defensive end and as I said above, there are many scouts who see him as a bad fit as a linebacker.

BTW, both players have very extensive highlight packages on Youtube. You can watch both of them versus Bulaga and other top college programs.

Both players played left defensive end in college which is nice because it's much harder finding pass rushers who are effective rushing from the left side of the defense.

I feel that Graham is as good in every facet than is Morgan. Graham is often compared to Lamarr Woodley of Pittsburgh and at 6'1" and 265, he also has some of the attributes of Dwight Freeney. He is very physical, never takes a play off, is very quick and powerful, uses his hands well, was productive during his entire college career, was a team leader and one of the most decorated players in Michigan history...he's a total can't-miss prospect.

I'm amazed that Graham isn't ranked higher because I've yet to read or see one negative on the guy.

No, he didn't have any stats. But if you actually watched the game, he was killing Kyle Calloway all night long when playing LDE and was hitting the QB on almost every pass play. He was also causing runners to go back into the rest of the defense versus coming his way, when they actually didn't try to avoid his side of the field. He did get handled by Bulaga on a couple of occasions though. Red flag? Yeah. :rolleyes:

Kyle Calloway ??......Bryan Bulaga DESTROYED Derrick Morgan every single time they matched up in that game.

I prefer Brandon Graham of Michigan, although even among scouts, this seems to be a minority opinion. Most of that is due to the fact that both players are rated on some draft charts as defensive ends (their college position) and on other draft charts as linebackers.

The thing is, many scouts have doubts that Derrick Morgan can transition to linebacker. There are no such concerns about Graham.

Derrick Morgan is probably best suited for a 4-3 defensive end. He is not projected as a 3-4 defensive end and as I said above, there are many scouts who see him as a bad fit as a linebacker.

BTW, both players have very extensive highlight packages on Youtube. You can watch both of them versus Bulaga and other top college programs.

Both players played left defensive end in college which is nice because it's much harder finding pass rushers who are effective rushing from the left side of the defense.

I feel that Graham is as good in every facet than is Morgan. Graham is often compared to Lamarr Woodley of Pittsburgh and at 6'1" and 265, he also has some of the attributes of Dwight Freeney. He is very physical, never takes a play off, is very quick and powerful, uses his hands well, was productive during his entire college career, was a team leader and one of the most decorated players in Michigan history...he's a total can't-miss prospect.

I'm amazed that Graham isn't ranked higher because I've yet to read or see one negative on the guy.

OK, here is one negative thing about Graham: He is very short for a DE or LB. Many (most?) OTs will have 5" in height

and considerable arm length advantage over Graham in the NFL. Now, I am not saying that he may not be able to

overcome that disadvantage, but that is a concern. Just like Bulaga's lack of prototypical arm length is for him.

OK, here is one negative thing about Graham: He is very short for a DE or LB. Many (most?) OTs will have 5" in height

and considerable arm length advantage over Graham in the NFL. Now, I am not saying that he may not be able to

overcome that disadvantage, but that is a concern. Just like Bulaga's lack of prototypical arm length is for him.

Thanks OldTimer. Valid point, and one which I've already considered. Here's my opinion.

In close hand-to-hand fighting, the short, powerful arm has the advantage in my opinion. Graham's piston-like guns can slap away and break off "reach blocks", a la James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, Dwight Freeney, and Elvis Dumervil.

In an analogy, boxers with a shorter reach will crowd their opponent to land shots. Boxers with longer arms tend to try to fight from the outside and land jabs from afar. But this is football, not boxing. The blocker needs to block and lock up the pass rusher, not try to steal the fight with outside jabs...scoring points from the judges.

Pro scouts like longer-armed tackles for one reason...when they're beaten on the outside they can push the pass rusher past the quarterback. That argument for a long reach/long arm length makes sense.

But from the standpoint of a defensive player trying to defeat a block and all the hand-to-hand fighting which accompanies it, short, explosive, powerful guys like Graham will take apart a longer man.