Wills on game night

Mile High

I caught an extended interview with Willis tonight on ESPN the radio on the way home from work. He Basically was praised by the hosts over and over but there were a few interesting things said.. First of all they asked him how the Bills fans were responding to him and he said that he thought we were some of the best fans in football. Then he was asked about the game today and he praised his offensive line and Damien Shelton over and over again for the key lead blocks in the game. He also stated that he is a more patient runner now than he was earlier in the year. WM said he likes to sit back and watch the play develop in front of him and kinda pick and choose where he wants to go. They said said who do you credit for your recovery? He said god. Willis also said that if this team gets on a roll they are going to be VERY hard to stop. He is looking really forward to his "home coming" in Miami and he can't wait he said. Also the most interesting question imo was about where he was at physically.. He said right around 95-96% followed by him saying how he couldn't wait until next year to be 100% to show Buffalo and the NFL what he's really capable of doing. :blush:

I caught an extended interview with Willis tonight on ESPN the radio on the way home from work.  He Basically was praised by the hosts over and over but there were a few interesting things said..  First of all they asked him how the Bills fans were responding to him and he said that he thought we were some of the best fans in football.  Then he was asked about the game today and he praised his offensive line and Damien Shelton over and over again for the key lead blocks in the game.  He also stated that he is a more patient runner now than he was earlier in the year.  WM said he likes to sit back and watch the play develop in front of him and kinda pick and choose where he wants to go.  They said said who do you credit for your recovery?  He said god.  Willis also said that if this team gets on a roll they are going to be VERY hard to stop.  He is looking really forward to his "home coming" in Miami and he can't wait he said.  Also the most interesting question imo was about where he was at physically..  He said right around 95-96% followed by him saying how he couldn't wait until next year to be 100% to show Buffalo and the NFL what he's really capable of doing.  :)

136967[/snapback]

I almost started to tear up after reading that :blush:

The thing is with Willis I try to look around the league and compare his running stlye to other backs and I just can't find one who is exactly like him. He is VERY patient with things waiting to develop and has a great stiff arm and the power to run over defenders but at the same time he can juke a little and has great lateral movement. But that speed burst isn't quite there yet. Not like it was in Miami at least. It will be next year I'm sure.

Who would you compare him to? Current or past player. I think he's a little of everyone. He's just really unique the way he runs..

The thing is with Willis I try to look around the league and compare his running stlye to other backs and I just can't find one who is exactly like him.  He is VERY patient with things waiting to develop and has a great stiff arm and the power to run over defenders but at the same time he can juke a little and has great lateral movement.  But that speed burst isn't quite there yet.  Not like it was in Miami at least.  It will be next year I'm sure.

Who would you compare him to?  Current or past player.  I think he's a little of everyone.  He's just really unique the way he runs..

137005[/snapback]

Listening to the pre-game show this morning Murph said he had dinner with John Clayton Saturday night. Apparently during dinner Clayton told Murph that Willis has had the ugliest 100 yard games of any back he had ever seen. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Clayton! lol

We have to be prepared for the fact that Willis may never get that burst back. He says he is 96 percent and we have to take his word for it, but we should be preparing for the possiblity that he is all the way back right now. Even if that's the case, he is still a damn good back now.

I would compair his style to a cross between Gayle Sayers and Terrel Davis. He is very patient, yet strong. The only thing he lacks (at the moment...I hope) is Sayer's speed. But you're right, it's tough to find someone he is akin to.

Listening to the pre-game show this morning Murph said he had dinner with John Clayton Saturday night. Apparently during dinner Clayton told Murph that Willis has had the ugliest 100 yard games of any back he had ever seen.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Clayton! lol

We have to be prepared for the fact that Willis may never get that burst back. He says he is 96 percent and we have to take his word for it, but we should be preparing for the possiblity that he is all the way back right now. Even if that's the case, he is still a damn good back now.

I would compair his style to a cross between Gayle Sayers and Terrel Davis. He is very patient, yet strong. The only thing he lacks (at the moment...I hope) is Sayer's speed. But you're right, it's tough to find someone he is akin to.

137009[/snapback]

Considering the "current" Willis McGahee will mostly likely run for 1500 yards in a 16 game season I dont this "current" guy.

Considering the "current" Willis McGahee will mostly likely run for 1500 yards in a 16 game season I dont this "current" guy.

137011[/snapback]

I agree. I wasn't trying to imply I was dissappointed in WM at all. Just saying that he may never be the speed back that he was in college, no matter what he says.

But even if that's the case, he is still going to be a very good back in this league for a very long time :blush:

He had 610 coming into this game. So I think he is at 726 now with 7 TDs

137018[/snapback]

Wow that's all I can say. This kid is going to be special your right Steve. I really think he will break 1000 maybe even 1100, that would be amazing considering.

I think Mcgahee is a little bit like curtis martin right now. Not a speed back (at least not yet) but gets his big runs in a 20-25 yard incriments, Has good field vision a quick lateral movement to bounce runs to the outside and cut back in good at picking up the blitz and solid hands for catching passes in the flat as a checkdown options. However I think Willis also has his own style, a Brusier, a speedster, a contributer, even when he's not having great games he contributes with his ability to pick up blitz's to take pressure off drew. It's no coincidnece the # of sacks have gone down dramatically since willis has become the starter and thats not because drew bledsoe has not become a stationary qb aka a "statue" but the ability of willis to contriubute in pass protection. We got a great rb here folks, We're in good Hands with Willis :blush:

I was amazed at the difference when Travis came in for a few plays (Rams game, I think) and pretty much stepped aside for the blitzer! It was amazing how little effort T Henry put into that pass protection.

That is a HUGE deficiency in Travis' game. Willis is very good at picking up blitzers, IMO.

Who would you compare him to?  Current or past player.  I think he's a little of everyone.  He's just really unique the way he runs..

137005[/snapback]

The patience he exhibits reminds me a bit of James Brooks when he was averaging over 5 yards per carry with the Bengals. When he gets to 100% it will be interesting to see if he'll continue to try to shed the first tackler or simply try to run around him.

137005[/snapback]

I'm not quite ready to get the bust started for his induction at Canton just yet, and Willis has a long way to go before he equals this man's greatness, but from a pure stylistic sense, Willis reminds me alot of Sweetness. Quick, fast, powerful, and a stiff-arm from hell. He'll juke once, but if the defender doesn't bite, he'll deliver the hit instead of receiving the hit. I love Travis, but Willis is clearly superior. And if he does get that extra burst of quickness back, Willis could be a real special player for a good number of years.

I was amazed at the difference when Travis came in for a few plays (Rams game, I think) and pretty much stepped aside for the blitzer! It was amazing how little effort T Henry put into that pass protection.

That is a HUGE deficiency in Travis' game.  Willis is very good at picking up blitzers, IMO.

137078[/snapback]

Did anyone catch the block Willis made on a blitz pick-up in the second quarter? It was on a play where Drew threw an interception, so it went overlooked. But he leveled one of the Seahawks. A thing of beauty.

Just has to pi$$ you off that it took MM so long to give Willis the playing time he deserved. In a year where 1 friggin play would have made the difference in 3 games... :blush: . Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Damn! Damn! Damn! MM has hit his stride, and the team has responded will to him, but they are paying for having a rookie HC. That 0-4 start could have been averted.