So much for a second for Lynch

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lynch Should Stay: Buddy Nix spoke about Marshawn Lynch at the beginning of today's draft luncheon and said that they expect him to be in Buffalo and the trade talk is not coming from the Bills. Him being traded is not up to him and they expect him to show up when it is mandatory. Nix said the team needs Marshawn." http://www.billsdaily.com/news/

Andy Reid swore there was no way he'd trade McNabb.

PTR

If I'm trying to sell you my car, and I tell you I'm desperate to get rid of it, you're going to probably try to low ball me.

Nix saying he expects Lynch to be part of the team is just GM speak for, "we still feel he's a good player, and we should be compensated accordingly"

We have a winner in the analogy contest. :lol:

Don't believe anythign around draft time. They probably have somethign worked out right now. Personally, anything less than a 3rd and keep the guy. If he doesn't handle his business properly, let him rot on the bench for another season. It's funny how money motivates.

I'd go a fourth but no lower than that. You're right about the money motivation.

Per ESPN Insider:

Update: Bills GM Buddy Nix threw some cold water on these allegedly hot rumors. "All this trade talk isn't coming from us," he said, per Sal Maiorana of the Democrat and Chronicle. Not a straight-up denial, but it does cast a little doubt.

Back in March, there was a rumor that a "former Pro Bowl RB" was going to be traded this offseason. Some people pegged Marion Barber in that spot, but we always stuck with either Marshawn Lynch, Willis McGahee or Clinton Portis as the mystery man. On Tuesday, we speculated that with the signing of two other RBs within the past week, the Buffalo Bills were now even more likely to trade Lynch.

Now the rumor has become somewhat official, as Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Bills will be "entertaining offers" for Lynch heading into next week's draft. Furthermore, Robinson's sources indicate that the team is ready to pull the trigger on a deal if the return package involves a second-round pick. The team mentioned in the report as possibly being interested is the Seattle Seahawks.

On the surface, a Lynch for a second-rounder deal wouldn't seem to make sense given Lynch's declining play and bad behavior off the field. On the other hand, Robinson notes that Lynch does have a relationship with current Seahawks RB Justin Forsett (they were teammates at Cal), so perhaps Forsett could help rein him in. If he could, they'd be getting a first-round talent in exchange for the 60th overall pick. It's also possible that the Bills would send a lower pick out to Seattle in Lynch's carry-on luggage.

I wouldnt call Holmes more proven than Lynch...

More importantly, why is anyone actually taking what GM's pubicly say with any seriousness? Look at some implications...

1. If we want Spiller at #9, why would we tip our hand or show any desperation to trade Lynch? If someone else wants Spiller, then that puts pressure on them to trade ahead of us.

2. If we are going to trade Lynch, we need to hold to what little leverage we can. Looking to dump him kills what little leverage we have in any negotiation considering he has had off field issues, wants out, and we already have Jackson.

3. If we try and trade him and dont find a taker willing to give us enough value back to make sense, then we have to deal with him still being on the team. So of course our GM is still going to be saying things like this publicly in case we dont move him since we are not so desperate to get rid of him that we would just dump him for nothing.

I mean come on people, anything any team or GM says this close to the draft is about as reliable as a rumor that sites "sources deep within" on these boards...

How the hell hasn't he been more proven?..More career TDs, more career yardage...Oh, and a Super Bowl title with an MVP to go along with it... Marshawn has averaged a paltry 4.0 yards/carry for his career and was replaced in the starting lineup by a guy who should have no business starting over him. Which only speaks of Marshawn's work ethic.

i wouldn't be too sure.

jw

Not sure about what. I am certain beyond any reasonable doubt that a good FO is at least allowing false impressions to be taken as fact and is simply flat out lying and mostly is trying not to get caught too red-handed simply lying to reporters.

You do regular reporting so what do you think is the nature of the relationship between the reporter and the FO.

As a reader I do not accept any reporting as gospel and anything I read of import it is simply prudent to question its validity.

My sense is that a good reporter is about being writing an article which has implicit in conveying he knowledge that most of what they have been told is not true and that they attribute the things which they believe are true to me the reader with some real information as to who made the statement on the record or if the source is not willing to stand publicly by their quote why this secret should be believed.

If no knowledgble source will stand by the quote with their name it should be taken by the reader with at least a grain of salt and most likely a boulder of salt.

Not sure about what. I am certain beyond any reasonable doubt that a good FO is at least allowing false impressions to be taken as fact and is simply flat out lying and mostly is trying not to get caught too red-handed simply lying to reporters.

You do regular reporting so what do you think is the nature of the relationship between the reporter and the FO.

As a reader I do not accept any reporting as gospel and anything I read of import it is simply prudent to question its validity.

My sense is that a good reporter is about being writing an article which has implicit in conveying he knowledge that most of what they have been told is not true and that they attribute the things which they believe are true to me the reader with some real information as to who made the statement on the record or if the source is not willing to stand publicly by their quote why this secret should be believed.

If no knowledgble source will stand by the quote with their name it should be taken by the reader with at least a grain of salt and most likely a boulder of salt.

i don't understand what your fourth graf means. i stand by what i've posted.

jw

i don't understand what your fourth graf means. i stand by what i've posted.

jw

Have to admit, that one threw me too. Still haven't been able to translate it.

Per ESPN Insider:

Update: Bills GM Buddy Nix threw some cold water on these allegedly hot rumors. "All this trade talk isn't coming from us," he said, per Sal Maiorana of the Democrat and Chronicle. Not a straight-up denial, but it does cast a little doubt.

Back in March, there was a rumor that a "former Pro Bowl RB" was going to be traded this offseason. Some people pegged Marion Barber in that spot, but we always stuck with either Marshawn Lynch, Willis McGahee or Clinton Portis as the mystery man. On Tuesday, we speculated that with the signing of two other RBs within the past week, the Buffalo Bills were now even more likely to trade Lynch.

Now the rumor has become somewhat official, as Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Bills will be "entertaining offers" for Lynch heading into next week's draft. Furthermore, Robinson's sources indicate that the team is ready to pull the trigger on a deal if the return package involves a second-round pick. The team mentioned in the report as possibly being interested is the Seattle Seahawks.

On the surface, a Lynch for a second-rounder deal wouldn't seem to make sense given Lynch's declining play and bad behavior off the field. On the other hand, Robinson notes that Lynch does have a relationship with current Seahawks RB Justin Forsett (they were teammates at Cal), so perhaps Forsett could help rein him in. If he could, they'd be getting a first-round talent in exchange for the 60th overall pick. It's also possible that the Bills would send a lower pick out to Seattle in Lynch's carry-on luggage.

He's 23 for god sakes. How can you judge a 3 year body of work like that!? The guy isnt 33, he's 23.

If I'm trying to sell you my car, and I tell you I'm desperate to get rid of it, you're going to probably try to low ball me.

Nix saying he expects Lynch to be part of the team is just GM speak for, "we still feel he's a good player, and we should be compensated accordingly"

More likely it's GM speak for "we hoped someone would be stupid enough to give us a second, but the offers haven't even been in that ballpark, and he's clearly worth more to us on the team than he would be worth in a trade.@

Andy Reid swore there was no way he'd trade McNabb.

PTR

Reid was backed into a corner, though. Anything less than that total denial - say if he'd said "we're not actively looking to trade him" would have caused a virtual riot in Philly and would have pissed McNabb off no end, which would not have been a good idea if they hadn't been able to trade him. Even a "no comment" would have been taken as a "yes."