I used to want a LT, but.....

Bronc24

OK, so here's my rationale for wanting Clausen at 9. I have been a proponent of building the OL and DL and moving on from there. I have stated on this board that I would take a LT at 9, DT in the 2nd and trade for a vet QB like Jason Campbell.

However, after thinking more about it, I am becoming more convinced that we should take Clausen at 9 and pick a LT in the 2nd, or try and trade that pick for Gaither. The reasoning behind this is we will take at least 2 offseasons (this one included) to contend, IMO. Therefore, taking the QB and getting two offseasons with him is more essential than a LT, who often can be plugged into a starter's role.

I know the downside is that a QB can be ruined behind a bad OL (see David Carr). However, I think Clausen has enough athleticism and cockiness to overcome that. Roethlisberger has run for his life for two years, so it can be done with the right QB.

Just my thoughts.

I'll take either or any at this point. We have so many gaping holes that we could throw a dart at the draft board and fill a need.

Clausen at 9, fine

OT at 9, fine

DL at 9, fine

heck, ill even take McClain (LB) if Clausen and the top 4 OTs are already off the board.

as long as we're getting the best talent available at a need position, and filling the remaining needs later, i'll be happy.

if we take Berry or Spiller, i'll throw my beer at the TV. :doh:

I'm coming around to Clausen if he is available and Okung, Baluga and Trent Williams aren't, and its possible that none of those three tackles are going to be there at nine. There may be other needs at 9 that we could address on D-line and perhaps linebacker, but Clausen would look like a pretty good choice at nine. The fact is that there will probably be some very good left tackles available at 41 and I suspect Colt mCoy and Tebow will be gone at 41 (some might disagree). Anyway..Clausen is an iffy choice as are all "franchise" qb choices, but I would actually applaud Nix and Gailey if they went this route.

OK, so here's my rationale for wanting Clausen at 9. I have been a proponent of building the OL and DL and moving on from there. I have stated on this board that I would take a LT at 9, DT in the 2nd and trade for a vet QB like Jason Campbell.

However, after thinking more about it, I am becoming more convinced that we should take Clausen at 9 and pick a LT in the 2nd, or try and trade that pick for Gaither. The reasoning behind this is we will take at least 2 offseasons (this one included) to contend, IMO. Therefore, taking the QB and getting two offseasons with him is more essential than a LT, who often can be plugged into a starter's role.

I know the downside is that a QB can be ruined behind a bad OL (see David Carr). However, I think Clausen has enough athleticism and cockiness to overcome that. Roethlisberger has run for his life for two years, so it can be done with the right QB.

Just my thoughts.

The problem I have with drafting a QB before the line is that not only do you put a rookie QB beind a crappy line, but if you make it a priority to fill the T position in next years draft, you're still putting your QB behind a line with a rookie tackle.

If I had my way, I'd take Williams or Bulaga with the first pick and trade the second to Baltimore for Gaither (if that trade rumor is true) and finally set this friggin line and be done with it.

That would give us a 2011 line of Gaither, Levitre in his 3rd year, Hangartner, Wood another year removed from his injury, and Bulaga/Williams coming into their second year. THAT is a line you can count on to protect a rookie QB, and I would celebrate the team doing whatever it needed to do to move up in next years draft to get their guy at QB, even if it means breaking the bank to get the #1 pick.

Of course I don't expect that to happen, but I still think it's a mistake to line up a rookie behind nothing this year and expect a rookie to make everything all better next year. I'm not on the Clausen bandwagon, but I really don't have a huge problem with him either. I just don't think it's the right time.

Just my thoughts.

Congratulations! Someone else gets this idea too! Nice to know I am not alone in my thinking. Great Post.

I was just reading about Clausen's small hands, and how at his pro-day he took a moment after each snap to ensure he had a good grip on the ball. If that is true and hand size means as much in Buffalo as the article suggested, then I'd be more than happy to go LT with our 1st pick and go after Tebow with our 2nd. Tebow is supposed to have really big hands, is tough and mobile, and looks like the kind of QB that can handle Buffalo weather.

I was just reading about Clausen's small hands, and how at his pro-day he took a moment after each snap to ensure he had a good grip on the ball. If that is true and hand size means as much in Buffalo as the article suggested, then I'd be more than happy to go LT with our 1st pick and go after Tebow with our 2nd. Tebow is supposed to have really big hands, is tough and mobile, and looks like the kind of QB that can handle Buffalo weather.

In related news, he also allegedly has a small penis which will cause him to have problems with the women in Buffalo.

Just my thoughts.

You forget that Rothlisberger had Jerome Bettis his first two years and they ran more then they threw, all he was asked to do under Bill Cowher was not lose the game by throwing INT's. He averaged around 20 throws a game back then.

Since Mike Tomlin has been the head coach they opened up the offense and have thrown more and changed their entire offensive philosophy.

Nevertheless, I happen to agree with you on Clausen, I was against another rookie QB at #9 when there is such a glaring need for a premier LT. But, the kid showed incredible toughness playing with that injured foot last season and still put up good numbers. He throws a faster ball then Sam Bradford and has phenomenal accuracy according to Mike Mayock.

The only reason he isn't the #1 pick in the draft is because some have stated he has an maturity / attitude problem...

If he is there at #9 the Bills need to take him, franchise QB's are tougher to find the LT's

He has been compared to Aaron Rodgers of the GB Packers

You forget that Rothlisberger had Jerome Bettis his first two years and they ran more then they threw, all he was asked to do under Bill Cowher was not lose the game by throwing INT's. He averaged around 20 throws a game back then.

Since Mike Tomlin has been the head coach they opened up the offense and have thrown more and changed their entire offensive philosophy.

Nevertheless, I happen to agree with you on Clausen, I was against another rookie QB at #9 when there is such a glaring need for a premier LT. But, the kid showed incredible toughness playing with that injured foot last season and still put up good numbers. He throws a faster ball then Sam Bradford and has phenomenal accuracy according to Mike Mayock.

The only reason he isn't the #1 pick in the draft is because some have stated he has an maturity / attitude problem...

If he is there at #9 the Bills need to take him, franchise QB's are tougher to find the LT's

He has been compared to Aaron Rodgers of the GB Packers

If he is 75% of Rodgers, I will be ecstatic.

However, after thinking more about it, I am becoming more convinced that we should take Clausen at 9 and pick a LT in the 2nd, or try and trade that pick for Gaither.

Yeah, there's a cure for that.

Can someone pull-up the Speedo picture again?

Seriously though, Marauder, I think our time with Clausen came and went as of his pro-day. I think one team may pass on him before us, but not all three (Cleveland, Seattle, Oakland...hell, possibly 4 if you consider KC).

playing at ND, he had to deal with cold weather and the hands weren't an issue

also, rich gannon had small hands, its not a make or break issue

Yeah, there's a cure for that.

Can someone pull-up the Speedo picture again?

Seriously though, Marauder, I think our time with Clausen came and went as of his pro-day. I think one team may pass on him before us, but not all three (Cleveland, Seattle, Oakland...hell, possibly 4 if you consider KC).

I fear you may be right, but if he's there, he should be selected.