Aren't we ideally suited for the 4-3 now?

Let's assume Schobel doesn't retire. He's your prototypical 4-3 RDE. Then you have a near-perfect depth rotation of Stroud, Williams, Dwan Edwards (who played mostly 4-3 in Baltimore), and Spencer Johnson. On the left side, you have Kelsay, Maybin on 3rd downs, and maybe Derrick Morgan. Your LBs are set with Veek on the strong side, Poz in the middle, and Davis manning the weak. You've got solid backups in Ellison and Harris. The secondary is set and they're used to the 4-3 concept.

It seems to me that by adding Edwards and Davis, and without having a nosetackle (and I'm assuming that stud 3-4 pluggers aren't freely available through the draft), it's insane to switch to a 3-4 right now - we finally have all of the component parts for a solid 4-3 base. For the first time in a long time, we have depth at LB and defensive line, hopefully with more to come via the draft.

Instead, with no true nose tackle, and with Schobel (if he stays), Kelsay, Maybin and Ellis standing up for the first time in their careers, we're switching defenses. I don't get it - seems like more of the Square-Peg-Into-Round-Hole philosophy that steers this organization off of the cliff every year.

And I don't care if Maybin likes it in April. Really, I'm tired of hearing from, and about, Maybin in the offseason.

What am I missing? Why are we making this change right now?

Let's assume Schobel doesn't retire. He's your prototypical 4-3 RDE. Then you have a near-perfect depth rotation of Stroud, Williams, Dwan Edwards (who played mostly 4-3 in Baltimore), and Spencer Johnson. On the left side, you have Kelsay, Maybin on 3rd downs, and maybe Derrick Morgan. Your LBs are set with Veek on the strong side, Poz in the middle, and Davis manning the weak. You've got solid backups in Ellison and Harris. The secondary is set and they're used to the 4-3 concept.

It seems to me that by adding Edwards and Davis, and without having a nosetackle (and I'm assuming that stud 3-4 pluggers aren't freely available through the draft), it's insane to switch to a 3-4 right now - we finally have all of the component parts for a solid 4-3 base. For the first time in a long time, we have depth at LB and defensive line, hopefully with more to come via the draft.

Instead, with no true nose tackle, and with Schobel (if he stays), Kelsay, Maybin and Ellis standing up for the first time in their careers, we're switching defenses. I don't get it - seems like more of the Square-Peg-Into-Round-Hole philosophy that steers this organization off of the cliff every year.

And I don't care if Maybin likes it in April. Really, I'm tired of hearing from, and about, Maybin in the offseason.

Since switching to a 4-3 we've always missed out finding a penetrating DT (see Tommie Harris and Warren Sapp). I think for the most part finding quality players for a 3-4 is a little easier with the exception of finding a difference making NT. The reason we're make the change right now as it gives Wilson a build in excuse for us to accept another losing season because we had to rebuild to better fit in with our new HC's philosophy. In other words by rebuilding year after year we never have to do anything but accept mediocrity because that's all Wilson seems to want from his teams.

first of all the Ravens play a 3-4 not a 4-3 so your point about Edwards is wrong

secondly and most important its not like the Bills defense and the players you mentioned were a good defense so keeping the 4-3 because of them is just STUPID especially when you consider some of the players might not even be here when the season starts (Kelsay, Stroud maybe even Schobel, Mitchell, etc)

didnt a very smart man describe insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? the 4-3 hasnt worked with these players so why continue to use it with them?

and yes you can find NT's in the draft

Actually I think we're better on D than most think we are. We were horrible against the run the last couple of years. But we didn't give up a lot of points. We were putrid on offense. If you gave our D a lead they would have been a lot better. Which is what this D was predicated on. I actually thought when they drafted Maybin last year that the Bills would incorporate some 3-4 into their defense. Because he was never meant to be a defensive end. But they continued on their path......Now they're gone....Rightfully so. And we finally have a FO and a coaching staff and an owner who wants to build a winner...Not just for now, but for a long time. I feel we're at the beginnings of building blocks meant to win...Maybe not next year, but at least you can begin to see the beginnings of things. For me THe FO is not promising anything except build through the draft and get quality FA's. Thats what they've done so far. Lets see how they draft and then utilize what talent they've got and then go from there. Meanwhile,,, I'm very hopefu.

Actually I think we're better on D than most think we are. We were horrible against the run the last couple of years. But we didn't give up a lot of points. We were putrid on offense. If you gave our D a lead they would have been a lot better. Which is what this D was predicated on. I actually thought when they drafted Maybin last year that the Bills would incorporate some 3-4 into their defense. Because he was never meant to be a defensive end. But they continued on their path......Now they're gone....Rightfully so. And we finally have a FO and a coaching staff and an owner who wants to build a winner...Not just for now, but for a long time. I feel we're at the beginnings of building blocks meant to win...Maybe not next year, but at least you can begin to see the beginnings of things. For me THe FO is not promising anything except build through the draft and get quality FA's. Thats what they've done so far. Lets see how they draft and then utilize what talent they've got and then go from there. Meanwhile,,, I'm very hopefu.

I agree, our defense was not the problem at all. Our offense has blown since the second year Bledsoe was here. Even his first year that he had all the passing yards we still couldnt convert 3rd and short. We beefed up a little at LB and our DB's are solid...we need to gut the offense and bring the heat on defense. Our DB's can cover, I say stick them in man (bump coverage) and blitz. 3-4 or 4-3 our defense is not the problem, they were playing the entire game.

I am at the same time very critical of Buffalo and always optimistic for their upcoming season. For instance, I really thought when they brought the Tampa 2 defense in that we were merely jumping on a trend at the wrong time - when teams were starting to figure out how to deal with it consistently. It really felt like we were trying to imitate someone else's success, rather than create our own with our own creative ideas. Now, the 3-4 is becoming popular. Is it a better defense? N.E. seems like they've been experimenting with moving to a hybrid 4-3/3-4. The Saints beat Indy with a 3-3-5 defense? My point is, albeit rather general, I am always hopeful that we get it right - whether it takes a year or two or three - and I am again hopeful and it again seems like our F.O. is taking us in the right direction.

I JUST HOPE OUR SCHEMES ARE OUR OWN, BASED ON A SOUND PHILOSOPHY, AND THAT OUR TEAM DEVELOPS AN IDENTITY AGAIN, AND THAT IT IS A TOUGH ONE!

I really like hearing Gailey say he wants to make the Ralph Wilson stadium a place people fear to come to again:)

I hope Edwards makes this defense nasty and capable and that it fits our talent, and that we know what that is - because when Jauron had years to put it together, even when he had it all it still looked impotent.

Look at what the Jets defense turned into in one year - and I really believe that is 75% attitude and discipline.

first of all the Ravens play a 3-4 not a 4-3 so your point about Edwards is wrong

secondly and most important its not like the Bills defense and the players you mentioned were a good defense so keeping the 4-3 because of them is just STUPID especially when you consider some of the players might not even be here when the season starts (Kelsay, Stroud maybe even Schobel, Mitchell, etc)

didnt a very smart man describe insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? the 4-3 hasnt worked with these players so why continue to use it with them?

and yes you can find NT's in the draft

Baltimore plays a hybrid. And our D wasn't the problem last year.

we are switching now because our crackerjack coaching staff knows best

the 3-4 needs an overhaul of the entire front 7 so these guys get a 1-2 year honeymoon due to the need to "rebuild"the defense and attempt to salvage the Maybin pick