Who is going to be the starting RT

I honestly feel like we are going to go LT, NT, and then RT with our 1st 3 picks. If Buluga is there at pick 9 we take him simply put. Then a guy like Cam Thomas or Terrance Cody in round 2, and go after a RT in round 3 or trade back into round 2. With those types of picks we really solidify our lines.

LT- Buluga LG- Levitre C- Hangartner or Wood RG- Hangartner or Wood RT- Draft choice (Young but a lot of young talent that should mesh after a full season of playing)

DE- Stroud NT- Cam Thomas/Terrance Cody DE- Kyle Williams with Spencer Johnson and the new guy from the Ravens off the bench.

I'd be happy with LT,NT,RT

Bulaga/Williams

Cody/Cam Thomas

Veldheer/Capers/Black/Fox

Unfortunately for us, offensive-minded head coaches tend to focus on defense at the top of their drafts (and vice-versa). Whether explicit or implicit, the belief is that their knowledge/scheme/expertise will fix that side of the ball without needing talent, whereas they don't have that kind of confidence on the other side of the ball.

If that's how it plays out in Buffalo, we're in for a long and unpleasant ride. Offenses in general take longer to fix/come together than defenses. Plus, the two most important (and not coincidentally, hardest to find) positions are both on offense. If you have neither a QB nor an LT (just like us!), it might take you several years to get quality players in place at both of those positions. Without a quality QB, you're guaranteed to go nowhere. Without a quality LT, there's a possibility of going somewhere (Mike Gandy = Super Bowl Starter), but it's mighty tough. So the sensible thing to do would be to focus on getting the offense ready to go, and while it gels, start fixing the defense. Hopefully, both of them come together at the same time and you win a Super Bowl.

If, however, we wind up with a D-focused offseason, there's basically two likely scenarios:

1.) The focus on shoring up the overhauled defense worked! :angry: Now we're back up to the 7-8 win range, can't make the playoffs, and can't draft a franchise QB. Hopefully another McNabb will come available on the trade market while the D is still good.

2.) The moves on D failed. :D Now we're down to the 2-4 win range, and are continuing to start from scratch.

The only saving grace is that it's extremely rare for a new regime to not bring in its own QB. Especially when the incumbents are so horrible. And if you bring in a QB, which means either Jason Campbell or a rookie at this point, you have to then worry about LT so you don't get your guy killed. After that's done, you can worry more about the D. Of course, there are two problems with the conventional wisdom here:

A.) The Bills have demonstrated in recent years that they are anything but conventional. Unfortunately, it's pretty fair to lump us in with the Raiders these days, because both franchises make inexplicable moves that leave the casual fan scratching his head. And most of those moves fail, which is why neither team has made the playoffs any time recently.

B.) Despite their "eccentricities" as a franchise, the Bills will probably adhere to the conventional wisdom this time, and the Nix/Gailey regime will bring in its own QB. But it will probably be Tim Tebow.

Wow, that post wound up being very long and surprisingly cathartic. Let's hope I'm wrong. Go Bills!

very good post

The only hope is that in over-estimating the OL and the ability to easily overhaul the defense, the Bills will remain a bottom feeder for 1 more year and leave them in a position next year to draft a real franchsie QB.

Nobody likes the Tampa-2 , but it did what it was designed to do for Bills, which was to keep the score down by forcing long drives. A switch to a more aggressive defense will give up a more big plays and lead to more blow-outs because the offense will still be inept with stiffs playing the tackles. In addition, unless Jason Campbell is brought in, no QB on the roster or in the draft will be able to generate any consistent offense while running for their life behind this OL.

Changing to the 3-4 forces them to take a nose tackle just to be able to run the defense instead of finding a starting LT. which is why Green will probably end up at LT siince no one else on the roster is capable.

With Butler retiring who is going to be the RT coming into this season. A lot of people are focusing on who the Bills might draft at pick 9 to solve the LT issue but who is going to be the RT. Is Nix content with Cornell Green or D. Bell at RT?

Well who is left in free agency as a RT? And odds are the Bills aren't going to go the free agent route because if there is a guy they wanted odds are they would have pursued him.

So who can the Bills possibly draft in the 2nd or 3rd round range? If they spend the 1st pick on a LT will they spend the 2nd on a RT? I honestly doubt they would spend back to back picks on the O-line. However I do think that they might try and pick one up in round 3 or trade back into the back of the 2nd.

What RT prospects are likely to go in the back end of the 2nd or in the early 3rd? And what players on the roster already would be the starting RT if there isn't an addition made.

I am gonna bet we draft 2 tackles...an early rounder to play LT, or the #9 if 1 of the studs falls to us...

...then a 4th or a 5th, like Tony Washington...who can play either tackle position, but will be our RT.

Unfortunately for us, offensive-minded head coaches tend to focus on defense at the top of their drafts (and vice-versa). Whether explicit or implicit, the belief is that their knowledge/scheme/expertise will fix that side of the ball without needing talent, whereas they don't have that kind of confidence on the other side of the ball.

When Gailey was HC of the Cowboys in 1998 and 1999, they interestingly enough picked a DE in the first and an OT in the 2nd both years (Greg Ellis and Flozell Adams, and then Ebenzer Ekuban and Solomon Page). In a similar vein (i.e.addressing both lines early), I expect them to pick an OT and a NT in the first 2 rounds.

Hey geniuses, as much as I'm not a huge fan of his, we didn't pick up this guy Cornell Green to make $3 million a year and sit on the bench. There's your answer. Pointless post.

Yes, but who will play LG, C, and RG? Huh, smart pants? :angry: