Question for Draft Geeks

Virgil

For those of you who map out the draft value of each pick and who is a reach/value pick, here is my question.

If we were to include our #1 pick next year, what else would we have to give up this year to swap 1st with St. Louis. Then, with the remaining picks, who would be the players available to us with our remaining next two picks at OT and DT.

I'm not thinking this would happen realistically, I just don't ever see us being a #1 overall pick kinda team and i'm curious to see what it would take to land that Franchise QB.

For those of you who map out the draft value of each pick and who is a reach/value pick, here is my question.

If we were to include our #1 pick next year, what else would we have to give up this year to swap 1st with St. Louis. Then, with the remaining picks, who would be the players available to us with our remaining next two picks at OT and DT.

I'm not thinking this would happen realistically, I just don't ever see us being a #1 overall pick kinda team and i'm curious to see what it would take to land that Franchise QB.

You don't need the #1 overall pick to land your franchise QB. Just ask the Patriots, Saints, Steelers, Chargers, etc.

Better yet, ask the Raiders. :(

Well we would definitely give up our 1st #9 this year...and probably a 3rd rounder this year as well. I believe that substituting a player ie: Marshawn Lynch for the third rounder may be an attractive option for both teams. I also don't see it happening, and I would lean towards drafting Sam Bradford as well with the pick! I would have to at least consider DT Suh or McCoy but in the end a QB would likely be the right pick. I would also consider moving up to #3 pick and select whatever remains of McCoy, Suh, and Bradford....I think if we trade up the most likely trade partner would be at #5 Cleveland Browns. Last year Cleveland drafted down multiple times for additional picks! I think #5 pick would allow us to get one of the players we probably would love to have: Bradford (not likely), Clausen (doubtful), Suh (not likely), McCoy (not likely)...but would almost guarantee us Russel Okung OT or Brian Bulaga OT which would be a great scenario.

So I am all about moving up to #5 if Cleveland is a willing trade partner...The trade wouldn't require as much in return as

the #1 pick either. I think you could move up 4 spots by swapping 1st rounders this year and this year's 2nd rounder or 3rd & 5th round picks OR swapping 1st rounders this year, next years 2nd rounder, and either a player like Lynch or this years 5th rounder. All this is just speculation on my part and I may not be exact with the trade value, but I am otherwise football savvy and believe that I'm in the ballpark with my assesment. Either way I'm just trying to add my opinion to help

answer your question and address these scenarios as it definitely is exciting to me and that likely makes me a draft geek!! lol :(

Well we would definitely give up our 1st #9 this year...and probably a 3rd rounder this year as well. I believe that substituting a player ie: Marshawn Lynch for the third rounder may be an attractive option for both teams. I also don't see it happening, and I would lean towards drafting Sam Bradford as well with the pick! I would have to at least consider DT Suh or McCoy but in the end a QB would likely be the right pick. I would also consider moving up to #3 pick and select whatever remains of McCoy, Suh, and Bradford....I think if we trade up the most likely trade partner would be at #5 Cleveland Browns. Last year Cleveland drafted down multiple times for additional picks! I think #5 pick would allow us to get one of the players we probably would love to have: Bradford (not likely), Clausen (doubtful), Suh (not likely), McCoy (not likely)...but would almost guarantee us Russel Okung OT or Brian Bulaga OT which would be a great scenario.

So I am all about moving up to #5 if Cleveland is a willing trade partner...The trade wouldn't require as much in return as

the #1 pick either. I think you could move up 4 spots by swapping 1st rounders this year and this year's 2nd rounder or 3rd & 5th round picks OR swapping 1st rounders this year, next years 2nd rounder, and either a player like Lynch or this years 5th rounder. All this is just speculation on my part and I may not be exact with the trade value, but I am otherwise football savvy and believe that I'm in the ballpark with my assesment. Either way I'm just trying to add my opinion to help

answer your question and address these scenarios as it definitely is exciting to me and that likely makes me a draft geek!! lol :(

Forgot to mention that we'd also likely give up next years 1st rounder as well in the first line of my response...

As an amateur I'll give it a shot. It depends if St. Louis is willing to trade the pick at all. If they are going to do it the minimum value according to the draft value chart would be 1600 points. The number one pick is worth 3000 points. The ninth pick is worth 1400 points. (The last pick in the draft is worth .2) So Buffalo needs to make up approx. 1600 points after giving away the number 9 pick. Why do I say approx? The value is fluid and many things enter into it. IMO

The value is affected by many things: how many teams want the pick, who's the top rated pick, how much does a team need that position, the probable contract value and cap availability of both teams.

This why it's hard to peg a price. The problem with moving up is not only are teams giving away a bunch of picks but they are also tying up a huge amount of cap money in one guy who may or may not pan out. Just look at some of the previous number one's. A bad #1 pick can hamstring a team for years. The number of teams vying for the #1 pick are so few. Jerry Jones even said a couple of years ago that he wouldn't trade into the top ten due to contracts.

So if the Bills want the pick they need to get the 1600 points from somewhere. Their second pick (41) is worth 500 points, the third pick (72) is worth 104, the fourth (112) is worth 72. The scRams aren't probably going to want all of them this year so depending on where they think the Bills will be picking next year some value can be made from those. Somebody here said next years picks are worth half value from this years and that makes sense to me.

So even if Buffalo gives up the 9th, 41st and 72nd pick this year they would still be 924 points in the hole. So next years first rounder would be part of the deal and maybe another pick too.

It's just not worth it. There wouldn't be an OT or NT that would help this team immediately in the fourth round.