Application Virus

Brand J

Any program that I try to execute, comes with the message, "Application cannot be executed. The file ________.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" This came out of nowhere! I didn't download anything, so I'm not sure how it was given access. There's not a single program that will run. When I click activate antivirus software, it sends me to a pc-fortress.com webpage and there's a message that reads "This website has been reported as unsafe." The url does say pc-fortress, so I'm not sure if this is what is causing the problem. It wants me to buy this software, but I am also sure that that is part of the plan. Any way to get rid of this virus without running a program? (as all programs have been disabled)

If any program you try to execute gives the error, how did you load your web browser....? :(

Reinstall your OS - it's the only way to be sure. (/waits for the dissenters to speak against this :doh: ).

Any program that I try to execute, comes with the message, "Application cannot be executed. The file ________.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" This came out of nowhere! I didn't download anything, so I'm not sure how it was given access. There's not a single program that will run. When I click activate antivirus software, it sends me to a pc-fortress.com webpage and there's a message that reads "This website has been reported as unsafe." The url does say pc-fortress, so I'm not sure if this is what is causing the problem. It wants me to buy this software, but I am also sure that that is part of the plan. Any way to get rid of this virus without running a program? (as all programs have been disabled)

It sounds like you have a serious virus on your hand. In the past I've had a few that infected ".exe" programs. They're next to impossible to get rid of.

The good news is... most all of your other files - pictures, word documents, etc. are probably safe and can be backed up. So, back them up on a usb stick, although scan the stick with multiple, up to date virus scanners before opening any of them or putting them back on the computer.

The bad news... reformat your hard drive, not the quick format. Wipe it clean and re-install everything. It's the only sure way you're going to completely remove a .exe virus.

In the future, be very careful when downloading from limewire or other torrent downloaders.

Not sure but is it Antivirus Soft? Sounds similar. Did a little digging and they have a solution in this thread.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...f5-5c33cce9f7aa

It is Antivirus Suite, but the symptoms that the person listed, are the exact same that I'm getting so I'm going to read up on the advice that he/she is getting. Needless to say, I will def have Norton in place once I get rid of this virus..

It is Antivirus Suite, but the symptoms that the person listed, are the exact same that I'm getting so I'm going to read up on the advice that he/she is getting. Needless to say, I will def have Norton in place once I get rid of this virus..

Deano suggested Avira to me and I think it's much better than McAfee. Norton I don't have history with but I believe Deano thinks it's even better than that too. You can get a one year free download on the net. I also have Malwarebytes and like it. My Avira has been pretty busy the last few months finding about 6 virus' in the last four months. That's more than in the year prior to that combined.

Thanks guys. I am currently running the malwarebytes full system scan, so I was able to get the "Antivirus Suite" death grip off of my .exe applications. I can breathe a little easier now. Hopefully all will be deleted after the scan is over!

Thanks guys. I am currently running the malwarebytes full system scan, so I was able to get the "Antivirus Suite" death grip off of my .exe applications. I can breathe a little easier now. Hopefully all will be deleted after the scan is over!

Can you let us know what the final result is?

Can you let us know what the final result is?

The virus is dead. Malwarebytes found 6 applications of it hiding within the computer and they were all deleted. Thanks for making me aware of Antivirus Soft. After I saw that, I went to yahoo answers and typed in Antivirus Suite. Sooo many infected people asked how to remove it, that it was easy to follow step by step directions from people who answered. Thanks again, I never understood the fascination with hijacking another person's computer.

Dante beat me to it. Antivirus soft and its clones are some of the biggest pain in the you know what viruses to get rid of on computers. I've had a few people bring them to me with it on it. Glad I found that malwarebytes is the fastest way to do it

I've been trying NOD32 on the wife's laptop, and I think it's better than Norton or McAfee.

Dante beat me to it. Antivirus soft and its clones are some of the biggest pain in the you know what viruses to get rid of on computers. I've had a few people bring them to me with it on it. Glad I found that malwarebytes is the fastest way to do it

I had Antivirus Vista. Couldn't get to my internet. McAfee didn't pick it up. Had the PC people clean it out to the tune of $60. Got the computer back Friday night and it ran fine. This morning I had corrupted files and had to do a complete system recovery. Grrrrrrrrr. :thumbsup:

I'm going to rain on the parade.

It may LOOK like everything's gone - but you have no guarantee that there isn't a keystroke logger, a botnet, etc, still lurking either dormant or undetected. There's no way I would trust a previously compromoised machine with anything, and most other forlks in IT say the same thing.

I would HIGHLY recommend backing up your important files (pictures, music, etc) and then reinstalling your operating system. It's the only way to be sure.

Plus - start using Firefox as your web browser. (http://www.mozilla.org). IE sucks.

The virus is dead. Malwarebytes found 6 applications of it hiding within the computer and they were all deleted. Thanks for making me aware of Antivirus Soft. After I saw that, I went to yahoo answers and typed in Antivirus Suite. Sooo many infected people asked how to remove it, that it was easy to follow step by step directions from people who answered. Thanks again, I never understood the fascination with hijacking another person's computer.

Like I said, this is actually a GOOD thing -- sounds like "PC people" didn't really clean everything up. If the system worked, then the next day you had corrupted files, to me that sounds like some portion of the infection was still running rampant and that's why your files were destroyed.

The only way to know your computer has everything running the way it's supposed to is by reinstalling the OS.

I had Antivirus Vista. Couldn't get to my internet. McAfee didn't pick it up. Had the PC people clean it out to the tune of $60. Got the computer back Friday night and it ran fine. This morning I had corrupted files and had to do a complete system recovery. Grrrrrrrrr. :thumbsup:

Like I said, this is actually a GOOD thing -- sounds like "PC people" didn't really clean everything up. If the system worked, then the next day you had corrupted files, to me that sounds like some portion of the infection was still running rampant and that's why your files were destroyed.

The only way to know your computer has everything running the way it's supposed to is by reinstalling the OS.

Wonder if I can get my money back? hehe

I'm going to rain on the parade.

It may LOOK like everything's gone - but you have no guarantee that there isn't a keystroke logger, a botnet, etc, still lurking either dormant or undetected. There's no way I would trust a previously compromoised machine with anything, and most other forlks in IT say the same thing.

I would HIGHLY recommend backing up your important files (pictures, music, etc) and then reinstalling your operating system. It's the only way to be sure.

Plus - start using Firefox as your web browser. (http://www.mozilla.org). IE sucks.

I would agree completely (hence my earlier post here). If it's a fairly innocuous "malware" type thing that just slows your computer down with popups and the like; that's one thing. I always try the malwarebytes type programs. Afterall what's the harm if you don't really get rid of it all?

But, if it's a virus that's corrupting and taking over .exe applications, then you're half a step away from your entire system being fried and losing your files. And, these types of virii are far better at hiding in your system - often I've found them hidden in the system restore files. So, I'm less inclined to take a chance with a simple virus sweep.

Use Firefox with WOT addon (thanks Dean) and install a good, free antivirus protection... and watch the torrent/limewire downloads.