Hypothetical: 1st-Clausen 2nd- Tate

What if the Bills were able to pull this off in next months draft. With the 9th overall Clausen falls to us, and at the 41st pick his teammate Golden Tate is there. Do we pull the trigger?

There is no doubt that probably one of these or both of the picks will go to tackle or defensive line, but this duo was literally unstoppable in South Bend.

Even when Micheal Floyd was out with a broken collarbone, every person in the stands new Clausen was going to Tate over and over, yet they could not be stopped.

This chemistry would immediately show at the NFL level because both played in Weiss's pro-style offense.

I think we would be looking at a Kelly/Reed connection once again, and big play potential. The running game is there for at least the next 2-3 years with Jackson (and probably Lynch). So Spillar as great as he might be, is not the pick at #9. RB's are a dime-a-dozen. Lets not waste it again.

Just watch Jimmy Clausen's highlight tape, it mine as well have been Golden Tate's too.

Your Thoughts. :wallbash:

What if the Bills were able to pull this off in next months draft. With the 9th overall Clausen falls to us, and at the 41st pick his teammate Golden Tate is there. Do we pull the trigger?

There is no doubt that probably one of these or both of the picks will go to tackle or defensive line, but this duo was literally unstoppable in South Bend.

Even when Micheal Floyd was out with a broken collarbone, every person in the stands new Clausen was going to Tate over and over, yet they could not be stopped.

This chemistry would immediately show at the NFL level because both played in Weiss's pro-style offense.

I think we would be looking at a Kelly/Reed connection once again, and big play potential. The running game is there for at least the next 2-3 years with Jackson (and probably Lynch). So Spillar as great as he might be, is not the pick at #9. RB's are a dime-a-dozen. Lets not waste it again.

Just watch Jimmy Clausen's highlight tape, it mine as well have been Golden Tate's too.

Your Thoughts. :thumbsup:

Nope, YOUR thoughts.

If the Bills are to invest an early pick into a receiving target I'd like to see it be one that provides a big target and matchup advantage against the secondaries in our division.

Nix came from SD where they built their passing game around big targets. Big targets and a strong running game are a good formula against our division and to help develop a young QB, IMO.

Tate is not that guy. Drafting him does not provide a matchup advantage against guys like Revis or Vontae Davis so why use an early selection there?

"Tate is not that guy. Drafting him does not provide a matchup advantage against guys like Revis or Vontae Davis so why use an early selection there?"

Why is Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson so successful then? Going off this "size is what matters" idea means Hardy should instantly be a Pro-Bowler after all he is the tallest wide receiver in the league. I realize he was hurt last year, but there is a reason as to why he was on the PUP list so long and was not used when he was healthy. He just doesn't get it.

Imagine this as your Top 3 WR:

Evans: Outside

Hardy/Johnson: Outside

Tate: Slot

Teams cannot cover Welker in the slot and he does not have half the athletic ability as a Golden Tate.

I'm not saying this is going to happen but if the opportunity presents itself do we take it?

"Tate is not that guy. Drafting him does not provide a matchup advantage against guys like Revis or Vontae Davis so why use an early selection there?"

Why is Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson so successful then? Going off this "size is what matters" idea means Hardy should instantly be a Pro-Bowler after all he is the tallest wide receiver in the league. I realize he was hurt last year, but there is a reason as to why he was on the PUP list so long and was not used when he was healthy. He just doesn't get it.

Teams cannot cover Welker in the slot and he does not have half the athletic ability as a Golden Tate.

I'm not saying this is going to happen but if the opportunity presents itself do we take it?

and still no offensive line. When will you people learn??

Your Thoughts. :lol:

Granted they scored some points, but against what top ranked defense?

Your Thoughts. :lol:

literally unstoppable? wow. You'd think that combination would have led to some success last year

If the Bills are to invest an early pick into a receiving target I'd like to see it be one that provides a big target and matchup advantage against the secondaries in our division.

Nix came from SD where they built their passing game around big targets. Big targets and a strong running game are a good formula against our division and to help develop a young QB, IMO.

Tate is not that guy. Drafting him does not provide a matchup advantage against guys like Revis or Vontae Davis so why use an early selection there?

That was the idea with James Hardy. It hasn't worked out yet but I don't want to write him off either. I see no reason to again draft the size guy over the playmaker. Shawn Nelson is another big target with potential. I don't know about you, but it's hard to name a premier receiver at SD over the past few years and I think their strategy has actually failed them on that front. They rode a great back, had great change of pace backs, and a great TE.

OTOH, Tate gets open, period. I look at him and I see Steve Smith. Neither are prototypical, but Smith is among the best in the game. Gets open, wants the ball, does great things when it's in his hands. In fact, I believe SD with Smith might have won a Super Bowl by now. I think Tate has that potential.

I'm not arguing for drafting a WR early by any means, just making a point with regard to the topic of discussion which in this case is Tate. The defenses in this division have been built to stop guys like Tate.

I ran this simulation, but Golden Tate was taken at #35. to move from 41 up to 34, the Bills need to surrender their 4th. Had they stayed put, they could have taken OG Vlad Ducasse, or one of the top WR's:

Arrelious Benn Illinois

Damian Williams USC

Demaryius Thomas Georgia Tech

Brandon LaFell LSU

But I am hard pressed trying to recover from your Clausen-Tate scenario in later rounds. The top LT's are gone, so:

3 72 Buffalo Jason Fox Miami or Selvish Capers West Virginia (Take your RT; No real LT's here)

4 107 Buffalo (SACRIFICED FOR TATE)

By the 5th Round, you still haven't taken an NT or DE for your 3-4 defense, OR taken your left tackle.

5 140 Buffalo Tony Washington LT or Jeff Owens NT, or Linval Joseph DE34 ECU

Better take the incestuous talent in Tony Washington, and hope he's ready to hit something like a DE.

OK, time to cobble together a 3-4 defense?

6 178 Buffalo Micah Johnson ILB

6 192 Buffalo Clifton Geathers DE34, Dexter Davis OLB34,

7 209 Buffalo Al Woods DT34 LSU

I'd feel better with one more tackle:

7 216 Buffalo Chris Scott OT Tennessee

That was the idea with James Hardy. It hasn't worked out yet but I don't want to write him off either. I see no reason to again draft the size guy over the playmaker. Shawn Nelson is another big target with potential. I don't know about you, but it's hard to name a premier receiver at SD over the past few years and I think their strategy has actually failed them on that front. They rode a great back, had great change of pace backs, and a great TE.

OTOH, Tate gets open, period. I look at him and I see Steve Smith. Neither are prototypical, but Smith is among the best in the game. Gets open, wants the ball, does great things when it's in his hands. In fact, I believe SD with Smith might have won a Super Bowl by now. I think Tate has that potential.

Exactly, Tate gets open. He has some of the strongest hands I've ever seen. (See the hail mary play to the end zone in the Clausen highlight tape)

We have size guys and a burner with Evans. Now we can have the unpredictable playmaker Golden Tate. Lets do it OBD.

I'm not arguing for drafting a WR early by any means, just making a point with regard to the topic of discussion which in this case is Tate. The defenses in this division have been built to stop guys like Tate.

You may be right, but I still see Welker having success (not that I think they're entirely alike). The fact is, if you have enough weapons, you are going to expose some holes in the defense or find the seams. A WR who gets open and is not afraid to go over the middle is a great weapon. Cover him, Jackson's open. Cover them both, you're going to have to single cover Evans. No one else is open, Nelson should be able to release and pick up something.

I don't see the comparisons between Tate and these players. He's more like a poor man's Lee Evans. I think he would be hard to get the ball to in this division.

I'm not really in favor of drafting WR's early this year so I'm certainly not advocating reaching for a big WR like Hardy early. We have no QB and the lines are in dire need. I could see them selecting a big TE early on the second day and taking a flier late on a big wr along the lines of what SD did with Legedu Naane.

San Diego has a great passing game. Gates and Vincent Jackson are a great 1-2 and Floyd and Naane combined for over 1000 yards as 3-4 options. Their running game is what is down.

San Diego has a great passing game. Gates and Vincent Jackson are a great 1-2 and Floyd and Naane combined for over 1000 yards as 3-4 options. Their running game is what is down.

Right, but Jackson really only emerged in 2008, his 6 TDs in '06 notwithstanding. I think no doubt has their WR corps improved over the past few years, but their bread and butter was Gates, Tomlinson, Turner/Sproles really until LT began to break down.

You may be right, but I still see Welker having success (not that I think they're entirely alike). The fact is, if you have enough weapons, you are going to expose some holes in the defense or find the seams. A WR who gets open and is not afraid to go over the middle is a great weapon. Cover him, Jackson's open. Cover them both, you're going to have to single cover Evans. No one else is open, Nelson should be able to release and pick up something.

Approximately 0% of the recently draft eligible WR who have been compared to Welker have turned into a player like Welker. IMO, this is like comparing Colt McCoy to Brett Favre just because they are both 6'2" QB's. I don't see it. Welker has a special skill set and attitude that aren't usually found in the WR's who make their living catching deep balls down the sideline.

I don't see the comparisons between Tate and these players. He's more like a poor man's Lee Evans. I think he would be hard to get the ball to in this division.

I'm not really in favor of drafting WR's early this year so I'm certainly not advocating reaching for a big WR like Hardy early. We have no QB and the lines are in dire need. I could see them selecting a big TE early on the second day and taking a flier late on a big wr along the lines of what SD did with Legedu Naane.

Please watch this:

Also just to throw it out there, Clausen and Tate played with one of the worst offensive lines in Notre Dame history, he is very good at avoiding sacks and not throwing interceptions when he does scramble. (4int's in his senior year)

Tate is a guy that wants the ball, I actually see him surpassing Evans because Evans as much as I love him, does not demand the ball. Hes a go with the flow type of player. Tate will demand the ball comes his way because he wants that game changing play, something we lack on this team.

Right, but Jackson really only emerged in 2008, his 6 TDs in '06 notwithstanding. I think no doubt has their WR corps improved over the past few years, but their bread and butter was Gates, Tomlinson, Turner/Sproles really until LT began to break down.

Not sure where you are going with this. When Nix was hired as GM he made it clear he liked the way the personnel in SD he had helped assemble had handled the Colts. There was no Wes Welker there, nor has Welker ever played on a super bowl champion. Unquestionably what failed the Chargers this year was their running game. LT was terrible. He averaged 3.3 ypc. They kept trying to pound it in that playoff game versus the Jets which killed numerous drives and allowed the underdog Jets to escape with a victory.

Trent Edwards will be the bills starting qb in 2010. Accept it. Let's just hope we can improve the o line and chan and the staff can prove to be better than last years staff. They can't be any worse.....

Please watch this:

Also just to throw it out there, Clausen and Tate played with one of the worst offensive lines in Notre Dame history, he is very good at avoiding sacks and not throwing interceptions when he does scramble. (4int's in his senior year)

Tate is a guy that wants the ball, I actually see him surpassing Evans because Evans as much as I love him, does not demand the ball. Hes a go with the flow type of player. Tate will demand the ball comes his way because he wants that game changing play, something we lack on this team.

He's on national tv every week. He's a nice prospect but I don't see Wes Welker or DeShaun Jackson(two totally different types of players, btw). Go back and look at Josh Reed when he won the Belitnikoff at LSU. There was a time when Reed actually looked like more than just an adequate slot receiver. More comparable perhaps.

I'm not saying the Bills don't need help in the slot, but perhaps the Bills would find a more favorable matchup by putting a TE in the slot more often than not. A two-TE set is actually much more flexible and in a division where the secondaries are deep it's probably a better approach, IMO. If a slot receiver is needed, try to develop one like most teams do instead of using premium picks on one.

Not sure where you are going with this. When Nix was hired as GM he made it clear he liked the way the personnel in SD he had helped assemble had handled the Colts. There was no Wes Welker there, nor has Welker ever played on a super bowl champion. Unquestionably what failed the Chargers this year was their running game. LT was terrible. He averaged 3.3 ypc. They kept trying to pound it in that playoff game versus the Jets which killed numerous drives and allowed the underdog Jets to escape with a victory.

My point was that their receiving corps was less impressive when their running game was at its peak and LT was at his best. The balance has simply shifted from Great TE+great ground game to Great TE+strong air attack with Jackson's emergence. Before this was basically a long string of mediocrity from the WR corps in San Diego, and an over-the-middle slasher would have helped. That's all I'm saying. I do agree with you that DJ and WW are different receivers altogether. But if you're saying that they wouldn't have been helped immeasurably by trading for Welker instead of drafting Craig Davis, I just disagree.

That Welker has not been on a Super Bowl Champion is a bit of a straw-man argument. Nor has Randy Moss. Nor has Steve Smith. Nor has Jim Kelly. That doesn't mean that these kinds of players don't make their teams better. I think Tate's impact could equal the impact DJ, WW and other guys who are great at getting open have for their teams. You disagree; that's fine. I respect your football opinion.

The comparisons to Welker are questionable at best. Also we dont have Tom Brady to throw Tate the ball, and while Wes is good, Brady makes him that much better, which is why he was traded from Miami.

:lol: My thoughts exactly. Geez, we need line help on both lines but people are still hollering about qb's and receivers. Neither one of the aforementioned is going to succeed without a NT to help stop the run, the opposing team will dictate the offense flow of the game. Then we'll be playing catch up, that means an young QB throwing behind a line where there's a lack of talent providing protection from his blind side. Screw the sexy friggin PICKS! RD 1 OL/DL RD2 OL/DL!!!!! Run the ball and stop the run, we don't need a superstar at QB just yet just someone who can manage the game. Picking a receiver anywhere in the first 3 rounds to me will be like Tom D picking Willis Maghee with our previous first round pick when there was glaring needs elswhere. IMHO Clausen in the first round if he falls and the top 3 tackles are gone. Then at that point RD 2 OL/DL RD 3 OL/DL. I'm no expert and don't claim to be one, just adding my two cents from what I've seen watching every friggin Bills game for the last several years. Paying a kings ransom to Directv and by mid season see the writing on the wall that the Bills are going nowhere. ANYWAY GO BILLS!!!