"Let's Go Insurance Adjusters! Let's Go!"

stevestojan

Actually, not everyone knows that, and that's the whole point of these focus group studies.

"Where's the beef" was such a good slogan that it got enmeshed in pop culture which completely undermined the marketer's message.  The same thing is happening with Mastercard's "Priceless."

Calling someone a moron for not correctly identifying a message that's been coopted by other media is not a hallmark of an adman who I'd want working on my account.

138892[/snapback]

And a client that relies too heavily on flawed focus group research to judge creative work because they don't have the foresight/creativity to see amazing brand-building advertising is not a client I would ever want to work for.

The point I was trying to make is that focus groups are not real life situations and have major flaws. People take off their "consumer" hats and suddenly become "experts". The "moron" comment may have been a little harsh, but have you ever been to a focus group??? If you have, you know what I'm talking about. AND...in all fairness, I also said that you might not be paying attention....or even interested in the product...which is often the case when people are being bombarded by thousands of ad messages a day. Do I think focus groups a good? Sure. Yes, they even help. Of course they help. But they often hurt more than they help. There are probably millions of brilliant creative ideas that were killed in focus groups and never saw the light of day.

Where's the beef and Priceless put those companies on the map. So, yes, while they may have eventually undermined the message, they were overall a huge success. As an adman you would want working on your account, I say...What's next? What's the next great idea? There's millions out there. Let's do another. So many "great" campaigns are replaced with safe, boring campaigns that do well getting the message across in controlled focus groups, but that do nothing for the brand in the real world.

The balence in advertising is tricky. Something that is creative for the sake of creative doesn't sell the product. Something that is too straight on message doesn't entertain. Very few do both brilliantly.

Thanks for the healthy back and forth.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious?

Honestly, being in Marketing, I am sometimes shocked at how bad commercials are. (ie most of the Bud Light/Miller Light Commercials). That one is just too good.

I also like the commercials where the people are talking to clerks, yet its as if they are talking to a phone on hold. The one where the goofy looking guy starts singing the hold music (Playing with the queen on hearts, knowin it aint really smart!")

136375[/snapback]

Now how did I know you were a marketer too? We should have our OWN little board!

Anyone see that Netzero comercial that is almost and exact immitation of the AOL commercials? They use the same actors and every thing.

Is that even legal?

139006[/snapback]

No idea, but I did think it was totally awesome.

Same set, too, I think.