xm installation

i keep reading how the install is so easy in the reviews on best buy.com. normally i would pass on the install and do it myself based on that alone.

however a friend told me that the antenna install gave him trouble...

anyone have any experience here? while 79 bucks is not a lot these days. THATS 70 MORE songs through itunes/napster.

feedback welcome.

i keep reading how the install is so easy in the reviews on best buy.com. normally i would pass on the install and do it myself based on that alone.

however a friend told me that the antenna install gave him trouble...

anyone have any experience here? while 79 bucks is not a lot these days. THATS 70 MORE songs through itunes/napster.

feedback welcome.

Ahh, how things go up!!! I first tried to install on my own, and this was way back when XM first came out. While Iwas successful for a while, I guess i did not secure the wire to the radio well enough, and in a couple of weeks the wire came loose and I snipped it in half. Went and paid the $50 for the install(see, this was like 7 years ago) and that set up is still working to this day.

Now, in another car, i was just putting the antenna on the dash, so installed myself, no worrries, but must say I lose signal a tad easier in that car than with the antenna on the exterior of the car.

It took me about 10-15 minutes to install a sirius in my car and about 10 minutes in my home. I am not mechanically inclined, but this was pretty easy.

Of course, since then, my lady snapped the antennae cord in half trying to get out of the car. So maybe $79 means cords won't be everywhere.

As long as you pay some attention and are not involved with a hopelessly clumsy woman you should be fine.

I wasn't quite as fast as the space janitor but I was also enjoying some cocktails and such on one of the first fine spring days of the year. I also took a few extra minutes to run all the wires under the carpet and wedge them in the console joints with a plastic putty knife so everything is plum tight.

If you want to pay somebody $100/hour to do a job that is easy and actually kind of fun, go for it. But I'd suggest saving your money and having fun doing whatever you like to do when you're fooling about with the installation. And if you can't get it right, or you just aren't having any fun, then call somebody to take care of it.

It's all about the planning - make sure you plan out what you are going to do BEFORE you actually start doing it!

- Where are you going to place the antenna?

- How are you going to get the antenna into the car from outside?

- How far do you need to go from the entry point to your radio?

- How will you hide the wire - what's involved?

- How will you hook it up to your radio - do you have to take anything apart to do that, and if so, do you know how to do that?

- Do you have the tools you need to do the install?

If you plan it out and answer the above questions you should have a good idea about whether it's worth the $79 to you or not....

I did mine and it wasn't too bad, but I planned it out and knew what I was getting myself into BEFORE I started.......

Ahh, how things go up!!! I first tried to install on my own, and this was way back when XM first came out. While Iwas successful for a while, I guess i did not secure the wire to the radio well enough, and in a couple of weeks the wire came loose and I snipped it in half. Went and paid the $50 for the install(see, this was like 7 years ago) and that set up is still working to this day.

Now, in another car, i was just putting the antenna on the dash, so installed myself, no worrries, but must say I lose signal a tad easier in that car than with the antenna on the exterior of the car.

ive been doing the ipod thing and cds since forever.

antenna on dash. that was it? thats easy enough. lol.

in your first veh you tried it and went back for the professional install. im going to do that, i think.

It took me about 10-15 minutes to install a sirius in my car and about 10 minutes in my home. I am not mechanically inclined, but this was pretty easy.

Of course, since then, my lady snapped the antennae cord in half trying to get out of the car. So maybe $79 means cords won't be everywhere.

As long as you pay some attention and are not involved with a hopelessly clumsy woman you should be fine.

"I am not mechanically inclined, but this was pretty easy. "

you know, im not either. HOWEVERi usually dont have trouble installing anything. so why fear this huh?

im going to wing it and see what happens. if i shock myself to death, oh well. 1 less bill fan on earth.

I wasn't quite as fast as the space janitor but I was also enjoying some cocktails and such on one of the first fine spring days of the year. I also took a few extra minutes to run all the wires under the carpet and wedge them in the console joints with a plastic putty knife so everything is plum tight.

If you want to pay somebody $100/hour to do a job that is easy and actually kind of fun, go for it. But I'd suggest saving your money and having fun doing whatever you like to do when you're fooling about with the installation. And if you can't get it right, or you just aren't having any fun, then call somebody to take care of it.

this actually happened when i was 17 with a regular car radio and speakers. but my buddy doing all the work and me doing all the drinking. (yes i drank alcohol before i turned 21)

hes still my best friend. i kind of doubt that he will wanna do all the work while i get buzzed 13 years later!

i like your advice though. thx.

It's all about the planning - make sure you plan out what you are going to do BEFORE you actually start doing it!

- Where are you going to place the antenna?

- How are you going to get the antenna into the car from outside?

- How far do you need to go from the entry point to your radio?

- How will you hide the wire - what's involved?

- How will you hook it up to your radio - do you have to take anything apart to do that, and if so, do you know how to do that?

- Do you have the tools you need to do the install?

If you plan it out and answer the above questions you should have a good idea about whether it's worth the $79 to you or not....

I did mine and it wasn't too bad, but I planned it out and knew what I was getting myself into BEFORE I started.......

i get your point but i hate all these questions!!!!

i get your point but i hate all these questions!!!!

I forgot to mention that I've had a few friends who had failed to anticipate and answer the questions, got part way into the job and realized that they were screwed and either had to start over or pay someone else to do it - that's why I listed them. Amazing some of the things people don't even think about until they're in the thick of it.

I have a question for you guys that have XM. If you pay for the subscription,does it cover multiple radios? In other words,if I have one in my car and I buy one for my house will they both work,or do I have to pay a separate subscription for each radio?

I have a question for you guys that have XM. If you pay for the subscription,does it cover multiple radios? In other words,if I have one in my car and I buy one for my house will they both work,or do I have to pay a separate subscription for each radio?

for sirius you have to pay separate subscription...although multiple radios are less to activate. I am willing to bet XM is the same.

I got a portable unit that can be moved from one docking station to another. I have one base in my truck and I'm going to put another base in my camp this spring. Then all I have to do is take the tuner out of the base in the truck and put it in the base in my camp. I just pay for the one subscription for the tuner.

• 1 month later...
i decided to do it myself. job is clean and i avoided the 79 bucks!

got the home kit through amazon (28 bucks or so), so i can listen at work/home and vehicle.

highly recommend for those who dont have it.

Good decision, I have installed extensive stereo equipment into my car so maybe this just seemed easy to me, but all you need is a little time and patience. It's not a bad job at all!