A. Schobel

CAVEDAWG

I really hope he comes back to provide some much needed talent and leadership, but my gut feeling is he might be done. He wants to be on a winner for the first time in his NFL career, and it is apparent that this organization is using the excuse of building throught he draft, or building slowly as a way of avoiding to build a winner and spend the money to do it. They have said that the teams quarterback is already on the roster and will come from the 3 career backups that we have, the #2 receiver will either be Johnson or Hardy. The writing is on the wall, it will be a long time before we get a winner here, and Schobel can see that as clearly as anyone else. Until we have an owner not named Ralph Wilson, we won't get the winner that the NFL's best fans deserve.

If Schobel returns and makes the switch to linebacker I can see at least 10 sacks or more for him for the season. Could be another Bryce Paup!! Any thoughts? B-)

Schobel is pulling a Brett Favre. He is not a team player or leader and wants to at least avoid voluntary work outs and potentially drag this into training camp. Not that anyone will ever call him out on that.

Interesting thought, I like him at end better than OLB though.

I hope he plays but he is changing positions on a team that has little chance of making the playoffs.

After all his yrs at DE I'm a little leary of changing his position, but with his size and speed it could capitalize on his pass rushing ability and put him in a position to be less of a liability in run support. Hopefully, anyway.

I've got a feeling a trade is in the works to send him to Texas. Otherwise, I think you may be right.

And the Texans have a hole opposite Super Mario. But what would they be willing to give up for and oft injured vet? 3rd or 4th maybe.

If Schobel returns and makes the switch to linebacker I can see at least 10 sacks or more for him for the season. Could be another Bryce Paup!! Any thoughts? B-)

I just hope he's back. Great player I would hate to lose...and replace...Who do we have now at OLD...Maybin Ellis Kelsey ...looks more and more likely we draft an OLB34

And the Texans have a hole opposite Super Mario. But what would they be willing to give up for and oft injured vet? 3rd or 4th maybe.

oft injured? He has had one bad year of injuries any came back to play well last year after having a potentially career ending foot injury.

Schobel never gets the credit he deserves. I for one hope he geats traded to a contender in the NFC along with maybe a 6th or 7th round piack and the Bills can get a 3rd round pick in return. I think he can excell at OLB but the rebuilding time frame and his age don't bode well for him making the playoffs in his career if he stays in Buffalo.

The guy is thinking of retiring and then we advise him that IF he comes back he'll have to play linebacker instead of defensive end. I don't think the response at his age and given that his playing days are numbered is going to "OH GOOD>>>>LET ME LEARN A NEW POSITION. I think retirement or a trade to a 4-3 defense are the more likely options.

oft injured seriously? i dont think so! he hurts his foot once and he's oft injured?

I take that back, he may not have missed many game due to injury but he still isn't an elite DE in the league. He is a C player and is mauled by the better LTs in the game and driven out of the screen on a speed rush.

I really hope he comes back to provide some much needed talent and leadership, but my gut feeling is he might be done. He wants to be on a winner for the first time in his NFL career, and it is apparent that this organization is using the excuse of building throught he draft, or building slowly as a way of avoiding to build a winner and spend the money to do it. They have said that the teams quarterback is already on the roster and will come from the 3 career backups that we have, the #2 receiver will either be Johnson or Hardy. The writing is on the wall, it will be a long time before we get a winner here, and Schobel can see that as clearly as anyone else. Until we have an owner not named Ralph Wilson, we won't get the winner that the NFL's best fans deserve.

Aaron has made it clear that if he plays again, it will be in Buffalo.

"If I decide to play I'll come up and take the physical. ... I want to play in Buffalo if I'm going to play."

There's never been any mention of wanting to play on a winner, not liking the organization, or its direction. It's always been about his family, being away, and whether he can still play at a high level. I think his decision is (in part) so difficult because instead of declining last year, his play was really good.

Maybe your negative opinion of the Bills gets in the way of reality sometimes.

After all his yrs at DE I'm a little leary of changing his position, but with his size and speed it could capitalize on his pass rushing ability and put him in a position to be less of a liability in run support. Hopefully, anyway.

The guy is thinking of retiring and then we advise him that IF he comes back he'll have to play linebacker instead of defensive end. I don't think the response at his age and given that his playing days are numbered is going to "OH GOOD>>>>LET ME LEARN A NEW POSITION. I think retirement or a trade to a 4-3 defense are the more likely options.

actually he's said he would enjoy the switch, but clearly it would have been better if the change had occurred earlier in his career.

“I like the system,” Schobel said. “I think it’s a better defense overall. You can do more things out of it. You don’t have to be perfect against the run. In our previous system if one person was out of their gap it was a big play for the opponent. With the 3-4 you’ve got bigger men on the field, and if someone messes up usually a linebacker can clean things up.”

Schobel, who sees himself as an outside linebacker in such a system, believes he would’ve been pretty successful as a player in a 3-4 system earlier in his career.

“I feel I could’ve been a more productive player in the 3-4 just based on the fact that all through school I played well as a standup pass rusher,” Schobel told Buffalobills.com “I feel I can cover well. I could be used in more situations.”