Perhaps No Consensus No. 1 Pick This Year

millbank

In almost any other year, the bright side of Sunday's Futility Bowl – Miami (1-9) vs. San Francisco (1-9) – would be painful progress toward a building block. Loser takes another step toward locking up the No. 1 pick in the April draft, and assures a piece of the next foundation.

But it's not that kind of year. Instead, being the biggest loser this season seems to extend to the charity cup, too.

The previews of the 2005 draft can't be completed yet, since a slew of underclassmen have yet to declare, but circumstances are pointing to this being a poor year to own the No. 1 pick. A handful of scouts and executives contacted this week refused even rudimentary dissection of the draft without knowing who would be available. But a few gave credence to the likelihood there will be no mega-star lock at the top of the draft.

- just maybe as things play out , Mr. Donahoes decisions will look much better.....

Draft Prospects for Fish and Niners

I think if Reggy Bush declares he could go #1, he's got a a nice combination of size, insane speed, and hands. USC doesn't use him as a every down back but I certainly think he could be capable of filling that role. Maybe #1 overall is a stretch but one could argue top 5 with the talent he has.

Ive read reports that this years draft class is very thin and weak. Couldnt come at a better time IMHO.

135494[/snapback]

It appears that way there is no obvious franchise saving player out there, its tough for the Fish and 49 ers because they need a quarterback.

I light of that remembering the decision by Bills looks much wiser . There has been much hand wringing about not having a first round pick, its very possible many teams will be wanting to find ways to get out of the first round

2005 Mock draft

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

135655[/snapback]

if a quarterback is what they seek, California's Aaron Rodgers and USC's Matt Leinart will likely be available. Though neither has given indications on the draft, both are early favorites for the No. 1 slot, and both are expected to forgo their senior seasons for the NFL.

While certainly talented, Rodgers' stature (6-2, 200 lbs.) is slightly less than desired, and there is a theory that Leinart's productivity has been somewhat inflated by his surrounding talent. For sure, neither has drawn the "certain superstar" tag slapped on Manning before he even began his final college season.

Which places the core issue between the lines of a paycheck. Should the top pick be either Rodgers or Leinart, they are going to come with a hefty price tag. That means somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-$25 million in guaranteed "Manning Money" to someone not named Peyton or Eli. A daunting number for the frugal ways of a salary cap-strapped San Francisco ownership, not to mention the Dolphins, who forked over a second-round pick and a five-year, $18 million contract for Feeley last offseason.

if a quarterback is what they seek, California's Aaron Rodgers and USC's Matt Leinart will likely be available. Though neither has given indications on the draft, both are early favorites for the No. 1 slot, and both are expected to forgo their senior seasons for the NFL.

While certainly talented, Rodgers' stature (6-2, 200 lbs.) is slightly less than desired, and there is a theory that Leinart's productivity has been somewhat inflated by his surrounding talent. For sure, neither has drawn the "certain superstar" tag slapped on Manning before he even began his final college season.

Which places the core issue between the lines of a paycheck. Should the top pick be either Rodgers or Leinart, they are going to come with a hefty price tag. That means somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-$25 million in guaranteed "Manning Money" to someone not named Peyton or Eli. A daunting number for the frugal ways of a salary cap-strapped San Francisco ownership, not to mention the Dolphins, who forked over a second-round pick and a five-year, $18 million contract for Feeley last offseason.

135680[/snapback]

Leinart has all the makings of a good college QB and a terrible NFL QB. He plays behind a fantastic O-Line that'll hide his problems, he's got a stud RB and, through his career, has had some of the best WRs to chuck it to. He's a system QB who will have serious problems adjusting to the NFL I feel. Rodgers, on the other hand, is the real deal and should be the first QB taken.

Is having the top pick in the draft still a reward?  The salary cap has changed so much.

135778[/snapback]

I'd say it is when you have a true superstar in the draft. Sadly though, this year is lacking. What about Mike Williams though at the top spot? Even though he's been out of football for a year, I still say he's a top 5 pick.

Both of those teams are cap hurting. A number one pick should be traded to a team that can handled the price of a number one pick.

135689[/snapback]

wouldn't surprise me at all to see the tuna package his #1 and ours to the 49ers, who will in turn trade down again with at least one, if not both, of those #1s

i also think we'll trade back up into the 1st with TH and our 2nd