Why are so many people assuming....

I love how people get worked up one way or the other. It seems that the consensus from posters is: People either should be optimistic about the Bills (show me a reason for optimism please) or they should be angry at the Bills (kind of like crying over spilled milk).

I think there are 4 facts that need to be accepted before getting overly emotional about the Bills:

1) They were never going to sign many FAs in this market. The team is not suitable for an environment that requires the following two things to make a good transaction a) lots of money b) draft picks to spare.

2) Nix is a firm believer that you build through the draft. We all know this. He also seems to be an uber-pragmatist. And possibly a little cynical. In other words, he will not overpay for big names, he will not try and make a "big move" to please the fans, and he is not going to take big risks.

3) If NFL teams go through cycles (as is often claimed bc the league is supposedly pretty "fair"), the Bills are probably just about to bottom out. Teams like the Lions, Browns, Bucs, Chiefs...even the Raiders are arguably on the upswing. Okay, maybe not the Raiders, but the other teams certainly are building a solid foundation of young players that will make them more competitive next year. Consequently, these teams (aside from the Bucs) are making noise in the FA markets. They are ready to fill in the remaining holes with FA's in order to make a play next year. The Bills are not even close to being in that position. They have no QB, a bad O-line, and personnel on defense that are not suitable for the 3-4 scheme. As a result, there is a good chance the Bills will be drafting in the top 10 next year, maybe even the top 5.

4) Regardless of your opinion on Ralph, I think it needs to be established that at this point in his life he is a huge hindrance to the Bills as an organization. Maybe you are one of the loyalists who will love Ralph regardless of his decisions. Or perhaps you are one of those people who thinks that Ralph has been burying the Bills with stupid decisions ever since he formed the team. Regardless of your opinion on him, the fact remains that his time as owner is likely coming to an end soon. That leaves A LOT of uncertainty with this franchise. And as a result, it makes things a lot more difficult for the FO/players going forward.

So for me? It is what it is. I think you are ridiculous if you are upset with people who don't have optimism for this team. There is a fine line between positive thinking and naivety. At the same time, if the state of the Bills is coming as some kind of surprise to you (enough of a surprise to make you overly worked up), you probably need to wake up and get ready for a bumpy ride.

Point 1- agreed

Point 2- agree, and happy for these facts

Point 3- The o line may or may not be horrible. If popular thinking is right, it takes time to gel. there is at least one, maybe two wholes which is not great, but they are almost guaranteed to be better this year. Same for qb play...if the line is better, the qb play will be too. The previous coaching staff was awful on offense for the entire 4 years. I feel Trent was ruined by them. I know it is a foreign concept, but I will give Chan a chance before burying him.

Point 4- agreed

I am not upset, just think its ridiculous for armchair quarterbacks to write off a team that has even met once yet. Thats all.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Point 1- agreed

Point 2- agree, and happy for these facts

Point 3- The o line may or may not be horrible. If popular thinking is right, it takes time to gel. there is at least one, maybe two wholes which is not great, but they are almost guaranteed to be better this year. Same for qb play...if the line is better, the qb play will be too. The previous coaching staff was awful on offense for the entire 4 years. I feel Trent was ruined by them. I know it is a foreign concept, but I will give Chan a chance before burying him.

Point 4- agreed

I am not upset, just think its ridiculous for armchair quarterbacks to write off a team that has even met once yet. Thats all.

When you say a team that hasn't met...are you talking about how the new coaches haven't even had a chance yet?

As for point 3, I think our O-Line has a few capable young guys. I'm a fan of Levitre, Hangartner is adequate, Wood has a lot of potential but that injury has to raise question marks. Bell seems to be over matched at LT, maybe he could take on RT but I'm not so sure.

So, from my calculations, we only have 1 current bright spot on our O-Line. Hangartner is a backup on most teams, Wood needs to show he has fully recovered, Bell never showed any promise, and right now, we don't even have a starting RT. Unless it is Bell or Meredith. Neither of whom are ready to start IMO.

that the bills will be " one of the worst in the league" or " awful to watch" or " horrible" etc.. I have read so many threads and comments that the bills will be horrible next year that it is actually starting to piss me off a little. If you have no optimism or passion, then please don't waste your time watching this team, and posting threads on a buffalo bills fansite.

I for one try to remain optimistic, but let's be honest. Last season many of us felt the O-Line would be just a disaster....and it was. It was pretty obvious that it would be so. This season, I'm all about rebuilding.

I expect us to suck..flat out suck... for more than half the season. Then I'm hoping for steady improvement and growth. So I'm with Buddy and the boys on rebuilding....but I understand why some are so negative. I've followed the team since 1963 and have seen some of the worst football teams, FO's and coaches. But I'm a Bills fan and I've got a good feeling about this latest rebuild. But let's not be goofy here The fact is we will suck....but will get better.

To the Uber negatives....you can spend you life looking backwards or looking ahead. Go Bills.

THIS BILLS TEAM HAS BEEN ALMOST UNWATCHABLE THE LAST 4 YEARS. AND THIS COMMENT COMES FROM A 45 YEAR SEASON TICKET HOLDER.THEY LACK TALENT PURE AND SIMPLE. THE LACK OF ANY MOVEMENT IN FREE AGENCY IS DISCOURAGING . THEY SAY THEY HAVE A PLAN , BUT ALL THEY HAVE DONE IS CUT PAYROLL. WHEN DO THEY GET SOME TALENTED FOOTBALL PLAYERS? THIS IS FRUSTATING.

Because caps make everything better. Gosh darn, I feel better already. :thumbsup: